Forum Index > Trip Reports > Paranoia Bike Ride at Night
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Apr 05, 2010 8:36 pm 
On April 2, 2010 Friday that night I needed to do some research to bail my friend Mark out of Canada after going on a rock climbing trip. The bus system was a hassle to figure out, first I had to find legitament sources and then calculate the schedules due to cheap/ not very well designed websites on routes. Also because he was coming back on a Saturday that made the situation more complicated, the standard route back from Canada was unavailable. My Route
View larger size in new window It took many hours of research and figuring out, and making sure the plan was flawless. Fortunately on Mark's end it turned out alright. As for me when I was finally finished it was around 2:20 a.m. at night of April 3, 2010 Saturday. Now it was time to pack all my gear because I had a navigation class to catch at 7:30 a.m. I had no source of transportation to lake Roesiger and there was no bus service that went near by, and besides even if I took a bus to somewhere many miles off I would be late for certain! The casual drama to my life was my thoughts. I checked my head lamp, no power which I guess I should have expected so I knew I would be biking in the dark some. I made a quick dash getting everything together, and even though I was leaving by 2:40 a.m. a voice in my head said "You'll never make it in time!", I ignored it and said "hope for the best, and if I'm late, it is what it is". My bike was (and still is) broken from a rusty chain so I ended up having to use my brothers small stunt bike. In the night quiteness I carefully snuck out of the house, in a slight panic one of my grumpy brothers would catch me and force me not to make it. The bike made a noise every time the wheel moved so I had to lift it making as little noise as possible. Michael was ok with the trip, but I'm not sure if my other brother was. I go down my drive way in a hurry. Biking down into Everett felt all to familiar, reminded me a quietness deal of when I biked to Columbia Peak, which I took a lot of the route I did then here. As I hiked in East Everett I would drive over tons of sticks in areas with little light, which was the start of me getting paranoid of things going wrong, I did not want some how for the tire to get popped, after all I had no spare and would be out of luck. Once I got to highway 9 off of 128th st it was a fun ride going down the hill gaining much speed although breaking every now and then. It was so much nicer to have breaks going down this hill, although they were not the best breaks, but good enough. One advantage of it being night time was I did not have to deal with the construction zone I did before. If I could some how ride my bike on highway 2 from Everett that would have made some of the trip easier. At the bottom of the hill there were no longer any street lights, just farms to my side and the road was almost pitch black, the white lines were one of the only sources of figuring out where I was going. The night had an awesome atmosphere, looking towards the city I could see much light pollution which gave the clouds a storm looking effect and wondered how nice it would be to see this view all the time from a farm. After biking across the flat dark zone I then crossed the bridge, and no honking cars, nor semi trucks picking up dust and rocks in my face. The bike ride to North Snohomish was uneventful but fun. After crossing over the bridge of highway 2 I took the same road I went to the search and rescue place which was also very dark. It was around here that the paranoia of dogs started to build up,although still was not that bad. I biked through a few windy roads until I came to the road that was the last main stretch, 9 more miles to go! biggrin.gif As I biked through there were some hills and I crossed many houses. It reminded me an awful deal of Mansford (a city near Darrington) which is where I had the dog chase story of when I went to Prairie Mountain. Scarey memories, in a sense I've had a fear of dogs at night ever since, and the place almost felt haunted. I would look at the bushes to make sure there were no dogs, and look behind me an awful deal worried I might have one stalking me. As I went down a big hill I came up to another. Here I heard dogs screaming loud almost like wolfs, it made the hair on the back of my head rise, I was terrified by this point and it had attracted other dogs to join in the barking. "Oh boy" were my thoughts, I did not want to go though another dog chase, especially up a big hill! At least on the Prairie Adventure we had headlamps and I was not alone and could see the glowing eyes of them as they silently waited in the bushes to ambush us, but now I would have no idea when they might strike. I was annoyed that the bike made a ton of clicking noises as I walked it up the steep hill, the noise making was almost unavoidable. I still heard more dog barking and screaming of dogs which almost seemed unreal, I first thought mabe I am imagining the screaming part, but then heard it again and again. I headed out of there without resting despite the fact that I was hungry, tired, and thirsty. Once I got to the top of the hill I was able to bike away and got to a big down hill. The sky light started to get a faint dark blue which excited me, atleast if a dog came after me I would be able to faintly make them out. I attempted to take a night photo but it did not turn out. frown.gif As I got closer to the lake road I started to become quite exausted from all the biking, the lack of sleep, and from gaining 7,000 feet of elevation gain with 18.4 miles 36 hours before this trip. As I biked along South Lake Roesiger road, one of the guys from the navigation class passed me, and it kinda made me crack up that the guy who gets out at 2 a.m. in the morning bikes all the way and still ends up later than those who might have started around 6:45 a.m. lol.gif The last few miles were tough, I would have to take rests and felt like falling alseep on the side of the road, even gradual slopes up the road became very difficult and I would have to walk the bike.
Eventually I got to the last road which was about a mile long, Fortunately to my amazement it was almost all down hill! biggrin.gif Cars kept passing me by as I came up to the camp which is were we met for the navigation class. I had no sleep so I knew that I had only foughten half the battle, although Fortunately the class itself was easier than the approach. As for the class the only time I slept (I knew this would happen) was during lecures because of all the sitting and talking. Once we got to hands on stuff like going outside and navigating it became less tiresome on me. Unfortunately there was no heating at the place and I only brought limited clothes so I ended up shivering a lot, very glad I brought my gloves. We went through the whole navigating through woods and baring thing. I was relieved at the end of the class that someone offered me a ride home. Was very nice of them. Once again its interesting where life will make new adventures even for something as simple as getting to a class. I wonder what life will throw at me next?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostMon Apr 05, 2010 9:01 pm 
up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Apr 05, 2010 9:32 pm 
Grizzy wrote:
up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif
Thank you for the camera, there would be no photos in the trip report if it were not for you. biggrin.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Apr 05, 2010 9:43 pm 
I may regret asking this, but why didn't you just get a ride from someone else in the class?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostTue Apr 06, 2010 4:38 am 
lol.gif Because it wouldn't be an epic then! lol. Naw, sounds like there was some last minute stuff going on there. I definitely see some novels in your future, Flow. Always an entertaining read!

Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Apr 06, 2010 6:30 am 
dude... I was able to make it through your whole report without quitting in frustration with your writing and silliness. Your writing is getting better than many folks reports around here. What I wanna know (cause i am nosey) why did you have to "bail" mark out of Canada? huh.gif better writing mr. I am proud of the hard work you have done. up.gif

jimmylegs
"BRB...JK."

jimmylegs
"BRB...JK."
PostTue Apr 06, 2010 6:57 am 
tazz wrote:
better writing mr.
omg what was it like before?

guns don't kill people, blood loss and organ damage do.
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Apr 06, 2010 7:14 am 
lol.gif You don't want to know... eek.gif look up his old trip reports. You will see. The young man HAS improved, in many areas.

harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostTue Apr 06, 2010 8:28 am 
at first I wasn't sure I wanted to read the whole story but glad I did. I can't imagine riding that distance on little BMX bike, might be worth a little bike maintenance (new chain, brake pads and grease the bearings ) on your old bike. your energy is making me feel so old i gotta ride a horse to keep up horsey.gif

hikes and climbs with malamute
SMPaul

SMPaul
PostTue Apr 06, 2010 9:44 am 
Josh, it was nice to meet you, and stomp through the woods with you! Don't worry, the time (or two) that you did doze off, you didn't miss anything that we didn't cover out in the field, so for the most part, you're good to go! The bike that Josh rode to class was not only a BMX bike, but it was a really small BMX bike, so credit is due for Josh's determination and resourcefulness on getting himself to class!!

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostTue Apr 06, 2010 11:45 am 
Bluto wrote:
tazz wrote:
better writing mr.
shakehead.gif shakehead.gif I pretty sure he capitalized his sentences... ------------------------------------------------------ Josh way to go! up.gif up.gif Glad Mark made it home alright. Too bad he forgot his camera and didnt take any pictures!!! That bike ride you did sounded epic. Dont the Mounties have a carpool program listed when you sign up for a class? but where would the adventure be in that... Nav. is a good skill to have. rocker.gif

North by Northwest
BadDog

BadDog
PostTue Apr 06, 2010 2:37 pm 
Hmm....how did you get home?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Apr 06, 2010 2:53 pm 
I think what is hoped for is complete sentences and better spelling.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Apr 06, 2010 5:07 pm 
Yes, Josh you are getting much better with your writings. I had to laugh at the screams you heard. I bet you heard peacocks. You weren't too far from my place. My birds roost in the trees and can scream bloody murder if they hear a noise. They are scary if you've never heard one scream at night!.... lol.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Apr 06, 2010 5:33 pm 
My Replies
AllisonW wrote:
I may regret asking this, but why didn't you just get a ride from someone else in the class?
How would I go about doing this?
Kat wrote:
lol.gif Because it wouldn't be an epic then! lol. Naw, sounds like there was some last minute stuff going on there. I definitely see some novels in your future, Flow. Always an entertaining read!
True! And was it like I had a choice? Wether I wanted an adventure or not, it was not up to me. So I either had to bike there making it there, or not go at all. And I did not want to miss this chance up. I certainly do plan on writting books in the future. I'm glad you found it entertaining, the trip certainly entertained me. biggrin.gif
tazz wrote:
dude... I was able to make it through your whole report without quitting in frustration with your writing and silliness. Your writing is getting better than many folks reports around here. What I wanna know (cause i am nosey) why did you have to "bail" mark out of Canada? huh.gif better writing mr. I am proud of the hard work you have done. up.gif
Glad you could endure reading my trip report. Did I make that many spelling errors?! I thought I checked over those? As for bailing Mark out of Canada, he did not have a way back figured out, so I had to do a ton of planning for him, and he knows I'm good with finding bus routes and schedules. wink.gif As for my writting, I will admit if I rewrote some of my older stories it would be atleast a little diffrent, probably more details. cool.gif
Bluto wrote:
tazz wrote:
better writing mr.
Well I had some spelling errors and such, plus there was some crazyness to my adventures.
tazz wrote:
lol.gif You don't want to know... eek.gif look up his old trip reports. You will see. The young man HAS improved, in many areas.
Awwww those were the good ol days. lol.gif Just kidding, some were good, and some were not so good. As for my adventureness, don't worry when avalanche danger goes back down I should be hitting the bigger peaks and having bigger adventures! biggrin.gif
harrymalamute wrote:
at first I wasn't sure I wanted to read the whole story but glad I did. I can't imagine riding that distance on little BMX bike, might be worth a little bike maintenance (new chain, brake pads and grease the bearings ) on your old bike. your energy is making me feel so old i gotta ride a horse to keep up horsey.gif
Thats why on the big hills I walked the bike. hockeygrin.gif It was tough riding, plus I was very sleepy so it made the ride feel a lot longer, although this story once again feels like a sumed up version of what happen. What I need is a new gear shifter. There's your problem, your relying on a horse to do the walking when you should be biking. wink.gif clown.gif
SMPaul wrote:
Josh, it was nice to meet you, and stomp through the woods with you! Don't worry, the time (or two) that you did doze off, you didn't miss anything that we didn't cover out in the field, so for the most part, you're good to go! The bike that Josh rode to class was not only a BMX bike, but it was a really small BMX bike, so credit is due for Josh's determination and resourcefulness on getting himself to class!!
Glad to hear I did not miss much, it was nice meeting you too. I said near the start of the trip report, the normal drama of my life. My daily life is filled with stuff like this, which is what makes my life very interesting, I have to be able to endure if I am to live in the conditions of my daily life. cool.gif
RokIzGud wrote:
Bluto wrote:
tazz wrote:
better writing mr.
shakehead.gif shakehead.gif I pretty sure he capitalized his sentences... ------------------------------------------------------ Josh way to go! up.gif up.gif Glad Mark made it home alright. Too bad he forgot his camera and didnt take any pictures!!! That bike ride you did sounded epic. Dont the Mounties have a carpool program listed when you sign up for a class? but where would the adventure be in that... Nav. is a good skill to have. rocker.gif
I did capitalize my sentinces! But thats what happens when you got grammer crazies. tongue.gif As for Mark, thats an outrage! Perhaps the excitement got to him a little too much. rolleyes.gif As for the car pool deal, there were no car pooling taking place. So I was unsure on who to contact about that stuff. As for your quote "but where would the adventure be in that" careful what you tell me, I might just have to put that quote in a book. lol.gif
Miss Iris wrote:
Hmm....how did you get home?
Now you gotta remember, even though I get bad luck a lot, I also get rediculously lucky too, someone gave me a ride all the way home! biggrin.gif up.gif up.gif
AllisonW wrote:
I think what is hoped for is complete sentences and better spelling.
Did I dissapoint you?
GeoHiker wrote:
Yes, Josh you are getting much better with your writings. I had to laugh at the screams you heard. I bet you heard peacocks. You weren't too far from my place. My birds roost in the trees and can scream bloody murder if they hear a noise. They are scary if you've never heard one scream at night!.... lol.gif
Some where dogs, and some where roosters, or mabe Peacoks... lol, where those yours? But really I did hear some dogs that were barking and sounded like they were about to chase me.