Forum Index > Trip Reports > Creaky old men creep up Pilchuck 4/10/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSun Apr 11, 2010 8:51 am 
When my friend John called to see if I wanted to ski Pilchuck on Saturday I told him I'd have to call back that morning after checking my sore hip and persistent cough. He tried to persuade me with his own list of maladies, and the reminder that we'd have a long day so we could sleep in and leave late, then creep along at a much slower pace than our normal after work climbs. Saturday I wasn't feeling any worse, so I called him back, popped some IBP, and we headed up. I was driving my Subaru Outback and cruised easily up the good tracks made by many big rigs in the new snow until John pointed out that it was getting pretty deep on the side and where did I plan on turning around or parking? Duh. We got out and thought about how long it would take to dig a place, got back in and backed down the last half mile to a corner where a couple of other sedans had parked. We were hoping to hitch a ride with a passing truck, but the 3 miles of road went quickly and we were there for a work out anyway, so it was rather funny when a Four Runner passed us as we strapped on our skis at the trail head. A number of people had booted and snowshoed up the trail so we chose to follow their track rather than set our own up the standard winter route.
Some of them passed us on their way down with reports of deep snow keeping them from the summit. Once we broke out of the trees we found some encouraging messages scratched into the snow beside the trail "KEEP GOING" and "YOU CAN DO IT". It was almost as if they knew I was having a tough day! As we passed under Little Pilchuck we caught up with the nice folks who'd written it, they were a strange sight when we first saw them, but as we got closer we realized they weren't Mountain Ninja Turtles, but just back-country saucerers!
back-country saucerers
back-country saucerers
We chatted a moment, thanked them for the encouragement, then passed and John started breaking trail (which he continued all the way to the top - his back wasn't quite as bad as my hip).
booting up deep snow on the steep traverse
booting up deep snow on the steep traverse
Lookout
Lookout
The lookout was so rimed over it would have been too much work to dig out so we just put on all our clothes and sat in the windy sun eating snacks and sipping our summit beers. We were a little worried about wind slab in The Gunsight, so we went over to look at it thinking we'd just ski back down the trail. What we found was a solid firm surface that we didn't break through. Again John led the way while I survival skied behind him, having some difficulty with my left turns.
Rime in The Gunsight
Rime in The Gunsight
We were wishing our young friend Jeff was there to break trail as we plowed up the deep snow to Larrison ridge.
John boots to Larrison
John boots to Larrison
With the funky snow we decided to ski down the gully rather than traverse to the ridge. I adapted with a traversing move where I'd drop down then cut back up to bleed speed. John said it made for some interesting looking tracks.
John cuts it up below The Onion Peel
John cuts it up below The Onion Peel
We skied down the winter route to the trail head on increasingly wet snow, then started cruising the road on the perfectly groomed center strip. We thought it might be nice to hitch a ride if a truck passed us but we didn't need to. It was like riding an escalator, with hardly a skate or a pole plant we rode our skis back to the car with ease.
Cruising the road
Cruising the road

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostSun Apr 11, 2010 4:27 pm 
I have to get up there and enjoy the snowy views of the lookout in winter - wonderful shots.

kite

kite
PostSun Apr 11, 2010 6:09 pm 
looked like a wonderful trip with some very nice photos

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostSun Apr 11, 2010 8:46 pm 
Would this be a good time and place to practice skiing if I've never skiied before? Also, I never knew there were so many appelations on Mount Pilchuck. I'd love to go on a tour some time. Great photography as always Jim.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostMon Apr 12, 2010 4:30 pm 
Jimbopo, not sure I'd say Pilchuck is the best place to learn to ski, but it also isn't the worst. To really learn you need to hit a ski area and take lessons. Playing on the slopes below the saddle would be fun though and pretty safe. We like it because it is close to where we live and work. Don't even think about heading down The Gunsight or going over to Larrison Ridge without good BC ski skills (including avy evaluation) and gear.

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostTue Apr 13, 2010 11:13 am 
True, backcountry is probably not the best place to start. dizzy.gif

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostTue Apr 13, 2010 4:59 pm 
Great Report and Pictures. Looked like it was an absolute blast and good workout hiking the extra 3 miles. Almost like its still winter or something. smile.gif

MountainNinjaTurtle

MountainNinjaTurtle
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 12:07 am 
The Mountain Ninja Turtles
Yea that day sucked for us "Mountain Ninja Turtles" but it all ended well for us no injuries... Two hikers missing on Mount Pilchuck Herald staff GRANITE FALLS — Search and rescue crews on Saturday were looking for two 18-year-old hikers missing on Mount Pilchuck. The pair were hiking with another man and were separated, Snohomish County sheriff’s Lt. Rick Hawkins said. The third man made it out to the trailhead and called for help about 6 p.m. The last known location of the hikers was near the old ski lift, Hawkins said. He didn’t know how equipped the hikers were. Rescuers were using a helicopter before night fell. Teams equipped to work in snow conditions also were called. Temperatures in the area were expected to dip into mid-30s overnight, according to the National Weather Service Web site.

MountainNinjaTurtle