Forum Index > Trip Reports > Unicorn Peak (the one in the Olympics) 4/10/2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Apr 12, 2010 9:07 pm 
Saturday Robbin, Dave, and I set out in the fresh powder to see if we couldn't bag 3 Olympic Peaks. Thanks to Dave's knowledge of the route and a lot of hard work on everyone's part, punching in a trail, we got all three summits, Unicorn Peak, Griff Peak, and Hurricane Hill. To make a long story short, we followed a number of ridge tops for an accumulation of 11 miles and roughly 2000 feet of gain each way. Oh yeah, and did I mention that I came face to face with a bear. Well, 40 feet away, face to face. He looked at me like "what kind of animal are you"? Then he turned tail and ran away. I did get one pic of his hiney.
I made a logistical page for Unicorn which can be found here

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Apr 12, 2010 11:22 pm 
Awesome photos, and after seeing the summit photos now I want to go there!!!

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Apr 13, 2010 6:31 am 
Gimpilator wrote:
..did I mention that I came face to face with a bear?...he turned tail and ran away.
That is the best kind of bear. Thanks for the picture of the lesser known. up.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Apr 13, 2010 5:36 pm 
fantastic.........griff peak, unicorn horn and unicorn peak are prominent peaks from port angeles. what a beautiful day and a bear, too! cool.gif the olympics are here to please your wildlife pleasures biggrin.gif if i remember correctly the fire was started by lightning that smoldered for a while before it became full blown in 2003! this was one of those decisions the park chose to let 'nature' do its thing. it 'worked'. up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostTue Apr 13, 2010 6:46 pm 
Great TR and photos. That is a tough day with the gain both ways. Did you find the downed trees to be a problem or was there enough snow to cover them up? Had a brutal day heading out there in the summer scrambling through all the burned, downed timber and have little desire to go through that again. Maybe winter's the time for those peaks.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue Apr 13, 2010 8:57 pm 
Awesome job Gimp! Hope to see you on the next trip!!!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Apr 14, 2010 10:17 am 
bcfc53 wrote:
fantastic.........griff peak, unicorn horn and unicorn peak are prominent peaks from port angeles. what a beautiful day and a bear, too! cool.gif the olympics are here to please your wildlife pleasures biggrin.gif if i remember correctly the fire was started by lightning that smoldered for a while before it became full blown in 2003! this was one of those decisions the park chose to let 'nature' do its thing. it 'worked'. up.gif
Good memory. The research I did also said "lightning strike 2003". And you're right about the view of those peaks from Port Angeles. They look pretty impressive from down there.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Apr 14, 2010 10:19 am 
Ancient Ambler wrote:
Great TR and photos. That is a tough day with the gain both ways. Did you find the downed trees to be a problem or was there enough snow to cover them up? Had a brutal day heading out there in the summer scrambling through all the burned, downed timber and have little desire to go through that again. Maybe winter's the time for those peaks.
I had heard from a friend that crawling over the logs is a real pain in the summer. Luckily the snow we had totally covered them up and we didn't have to cross over anything. Another benefit was that those steep scree and dirt slopes were also covered and made for easy snow shoeing. I guess winter is the right time for those peaks.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Apr 14, 2010 9:13 pm 
i was at ediz hook and took this photo of griff, hurricane hill and unicorn.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss