Forum Index > Trail Talk > Grizzlies on these hikes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 9:26 am 
I don't believe that there has ever been a fatal bear attack in Washington State. Certainly not Griz.. It's really a non issue not to worry. We just tell scary stories around the campfire that are called recreational lieing. Go anywhere and have fun! We do! smile.gif http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cody s

Cody s
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 9:28 am 
No matter the actual number of Grizzlies, it is fair to say there are more Bigfoot sightings in Washington than Grizzly sightings lol.gif

BigBear

BigBear
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 9:37 am 
I have a feeling(actually more for certain) that most of these so called sighting are of brown colored black bears. Like SeaTacExpat said about the sightings around Waptus and Copper lake, it's just a brown colored black bear. I seen it myself, it's about 400 pounds and pure brown. If you didn't get a good look at it, it would be easy to miss-identify.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 9:37 am 
Some where i dug up some reported accidental death\injury statistics a few months ago. I should have book marked it. rolleyes.gif Anyway, the risk of getting killed falling out of bed at home is thousands of times higher than getting attacked by any species of bear. Yet we all go to bed. Don't worry about the bears....and sweet dreams. embarassedlaugh.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 9:40 am 
Quote:
No matter the actual number of Grizzlies, it is fair to say there are more Bigfoot sightings in Washington than Grizzly sightings
Here's official proof ykm.gif
Sasquatch?
Sasquatch?

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
reststep

reststep
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 10:02 am 
Interesting bear story from a Ptarmigan Traverse Trip in the 70's. As far as I know this kind of thing is very rare in Washington State and most black bears will go the other way when they see you. I hear it can be different in the Sierra.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 10:36 am 
Feel free to think that "black bears are fine", since what you are worried about is not bears, but rather your girlfriend getting freaked out. You (and her) seem perfectly aware of the fact that your chances of actually coming to grief because of a black bear encounter are so close to zero as to make the difference too small to measure. If you want to be 100% sure of no grizzly bear related signage, and have rangers deny grizzly possibilities if asked by your GF, then your list is fine with the sole exception of Horseshoe basin. It is possible a ranger might say that one or two might wander over that way once in a while. A grizzly was confirmed by hair samples to have been seen near Tonasket in 2005. That is in the general area of the Pasayten wilderness.

SeaTacExpat

SeaTacExpat
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 10:43 am 
BigBear wrote:
I have a feeling(actually more for certain) that most of these so called sighting are of brown colored black bears. Like SeaTacExpat said about the sightings around Waptus and Copper lake, it's just a brown colored black bear. I seen it myself, it's about 400 pounds and pure brown. If you didn't get a good look at it, it would be easy to miss-identify.
I've also seen a number of *huge* brown colored black bears in the Sierras (mostly in the National Parks) - easily mistakable if you don't know the difference, and certainly much more of a problem in any case than a grizzly would be in NCNP or the Selkirks. Large black bears acclimated to humans and human food = serious trouble.

mepokeu

mepokeu
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 10:59 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
Cougars are also high on the food chain. They seem to mostly pick on smaller folks. I've never seen one. There used to be a bounty on them. Here is a list of fatal cougar attacks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America
More people have died on the road i live on in the past 10 years from traffic accidents then ALL cougar attacks in America for the past 100 years...

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 11:12 am 
reststep wrote:
Interesting bear story from a Ptarmigan Traverse Trip in the 70's
Thats a fine bear story. I have this vision of a big bear sitting on my backpack eating my candy bars at Kool Aid Lake. There is a way to tell the story even better that would definitely keep newbies awake all night long. I'm thinking.. hockeygrin.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
The Bubbly Hiker

The Bubbly Hiker
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 11:42 am 
I feel your request because I've had many similar requests in the past. Sometimes logic is overruled by other factors, so some of the advice given here is a bit macho. It's ridiculous to compare with airplane flights or statistics when a person will not enjoy their life if they see the word Grizzly mentioned. They will hate the hike, be in fear the whole time, and their partners won't enjoy it either. It's better if the whole party is having a good time. Given your situation, I'd try the Goat Rocks. It's way far from places where griz have been mentioned... one example that comes to mind is areas of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness (between Hwy 2 and I-90) where the Forest Service isn't maintaining trails to protect griz habitat. Will you have time to hike more than one area?

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 11:55 am 
Hard call to know which trailheads have grizzly identification information that would freak out your girlfreind. No amount of anyone here giving statistics is going to help. If that's her fear, that's her fear. Short of people on this site noting which trailheads have what signs, it's hard to know for sure. If you're afraid she'll see a grizz vs. black bear identification sign, then stay out of North Cascades / Pasayten / Colville NF area - there's no guaranttee there won't be a sign. Central and South Cascades are less likely than N Cascades, but again - no guarantee.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
njwahiker

njwahiker
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 12:25 pm 
statistics and phobias
while i understand the statistics, the mind is obviously far more complicated.. to say "Sometimes logic is overruled by other factors" is a great understatement! As you say, no amount of statistics can make a hike more enjoyable if one has a fear of some animal. There are many more people afraid of flying than of driving and most of them do understand the statistics. So much for statistics. We will indeed have time to do more than one hike. We are hoping to do 2 backpacking trips, of about 4 - 5 days in length each and maybe a day hike or a simple overnight. I was going to ask more about the scenic and other aspects of these hikes later on this thread.. still looking up older posts on these areas. Goat Rocks does sound good.. scenic and not too crowded. The region between the US 2 and the 90 is synonymous with the Enchantment area to me -- very crowded, permits for overnighting and overused.. I read something about toilet paper here and there.. so I was looking to avoid the Alpine Lakes Wilderness (but correct me if I am wrong). At this point, I'm thinking of Goat Rocks + Pilot Ridge/White Pass area near Glacier peak for backpacking and maybe a day hike / overnight to Spider Meadows.. Thanks for all the replies! I'll show all these posts to my girlfriend redface.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 12:51 pm 
SeaTacExpat wrote:
I've also seen a number of *huge* brown colored black bears in the Sierras (mostly in the National Parks) - easily mistakable if you don't know the difference, and certainly much more of a problem in any case than a grizzly would be in NCNP or the Selkirks. Large black bears acclimated to humans and human food = serious trouble.
I have posted these pics a couple times in the past ... It is a BLACK bear that I ran into (almost literally) on the Icicle road a couple years ago.
HelloBaloo
HelloBaloo
PappaBear
PappaBear

BigBear

BigBear
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 1:38 pm 
Bozo wrote:
one example that comes to mind is areas of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness (between Hwy 2 and I-90) where the Forest Service isn't maintaining trails to protect griz habitat.
What is that supposed to mean? confused.gif