Forum Index > Partners > Lake Serene 5/02/10 (Sunday hike)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
veronika

veronika
PostMon Apr 26, 2010 12:36 am 
Hi! I am a fairly new hiker and want to hike Lake Serene up in Index. Any SUGGESTIONS/COMMENTS are GREATLY appreciated. biggrin.gif I have only been once (Sept 2009) and could go no further than the staircases... due to snow and my sister's children in tow. I am planning on a solo trip and I know this isn't safe so I figured I would start a thread and see what happens. Unfortunately, since I am fairly new, I have no hiking buddies. waah.gif I am assuming this is a general day hike???

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Apr 26, 2010 7:46 am 
Welcome. You've come to the right place for hiking buddy's. Yes it is a great day hike. Should be very little snow on the trail, except for near the top. What i don't get. What's not safe about hiking this one solo confused.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostMon Apr 26, 2010 3:28 pm 
This is a very popular trail... it's safe!

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostMon Apr 26, 2010 4:50 pm 
I was there recently https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7982717&highlight= There are lots of people on this trail, just be ready for a good workout. I hope you get better views than I did of Index.

veronika

veronika
PostMon Apr 26, 2010 7:11 pm 
Very nice pics hiking queen... As far as safe, everyone always tells me not to go alone in case something happens. Getting hurt, etc. Don't get me wrong, I still go agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif I guess I will grab my camera and head on out there! Thanks!

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Apr 26, 2010 7:29 pm 
Take a look at wta.org's website to gauge which trails are popular and you can expect company. Those are good for solo trips if you think you'd rather be around folks for help in case something happens.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostMon Apr 26, 2010 7:57 pm 
People tell me not to go solo too. But I always tell my hubby where I'm going when to expect me and make smart choices, carry essentials, and go on poplular trails where people are likely to come along, it's been cool. I've made mistakes and gotten more comfortable solo hiking over the years. Take lots of pics and post a report for us.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Apr 27, 2010 12:22 am 
Grizzy
Quote:
This is a very popular trail... it's safe!
agree.gif I have to agree. The last time i hiked that trail...last year there was a couple that got separated in the snow field. Only one had a cell phone...yes there is excellent cell coverage on most of that trail....anyway one was not aware the other was "missing" until reaching the lake. Anyway a few people i knew were making there way up the trail i called them. Others at the lake also knew others on the trail. See where i going with this? It only took a few minutes to find the person even thought they did not have a cell phone. And this all happened essentially strangers, with no formal organization. So if anything happens on this trail....your covered. biggrin.gif I have a few other questions...do these people who tell you not to go alone have any hiking experience? And..I noticed you listed no date for your hike. So when do you plan this hike...i bet you'd have better luck finding a partner if you listed a date. Who knows could be some one here already planning to go up there the same day.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Apr 27, 2010 9:48 am 
Hulksmash wrote:
I have a few other questions...do these people who tell you not to go alone have any hiking experience?
Weeelllll, lot of experienced hikers and/or their families don't recommend hiking alone. Take Damian, for instance (please). His wife doesn't want him to hike alone, though he's been hiking for, like, ever (on account of he's older than dirt). She'd rather him hike with me eyes.gif than have him hike alone. Not that she's irrational or anything, but my point is that there are folks out there who would rather their loved ones hike with me than hike alone.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Apr 27, 2010 12:42 pm 
Quote:
Not that she's irrational or anything, but my point is that there are folks out there who would rather their loved ones hike with me than hike alone.
Well now...that's awfully self centered isn't it?

veronika

veronika
PostTue Apr 27, 2010 10:21 pm 
The people that suggest I don't hike alone have no hiking experience of course. I think they know how crazy I am and just don't want me to get hurt. Can't blame them... I put the date I want to hike in the subject.. Lake Serene 5/01/10 (saturday but it looks like I am going to have to do it Sunday 5/02/10. waah.gif I was just reminded today of a previous commitment. At any rate. In seeing all of the GREAT feedback (thank you) I think I should be okay solo just as long as I let people know where I am going and when to expect me back. If anyone does want to go, please just let me know. I am planning on Sunday being at the trailhead at 9am. I will be sure to post alot of pictures and a full report!

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostWed Apr 28, 2010 7:08 am 
I'm out of town or I might like to join you, I want better views than I got. Looks like you are in Auburn? I'm just up the hill. Have a great hike!

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Apr 28, 2010 12:49 pm 
You will not be alone on this hike so while you may be hiking solo in a sense, you won't really be solo if something were to happen someone should come along within a few minutes especially since you are doing it on a weekend.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Apr 28, 2010 1:27 pm 
As you gain more experience you will know whether or not solo hiking is for you. If you are not sure yet, then you may not be ready. Don't listen to those who say "of course it's not safe", or to those who say "of course it is safe". You are the one who will suffer (or enjoy) any consequences of your decision on this matter. Experience is the best teacher. If you want to try out solo hiking, but not really be totally alone, then this hike would be good. Just don't be the last person down off the hill that day.

Cody s

Cody s
PostWed Apr 28, 2010 6:36 pm 
Last time I did Lake Serene me and my partner were alone except for two other people that were there. It was pouring down rain, but there were still two other people there. I have been hiking solo since my daughter became a teenager and lost interest. She has the same worries about me being solo. I got one of those fancy ol' SPOT devices. I know I still have to be prepared but at least my family can look and see where I am at all times, it makes them feel better. I may be in the area Sunday, I plan to hike somewhere around Leavenworth Saturday and catch a quick hike on the way home Sunday, Lake Serene sounds like good one.