Forum Index > Food & Grub > Make your own damn pop tarts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 25, 2010 11:38 am 
I have left over huckleberries to use up. Now, maybe if this weekend is a nahsty one.....mmmmmmmmmmm.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Oct 19, 2010 9:27 pm 
one of my daughter's best friend, Jessie, is a chef. my daughter and Jessie were visiting their other best friend in seattle so i headed there, too. someone wanted pop tarts so Jessie immediately got on it. this is her blog Body and Soul Food

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Oct 19, 2010 11:00 pm 
Those appear to be the real McCoy.* up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif Perhaps the new calendar will have a Make Your Own Poptart day. *though without a sample, one can't be entirely confident.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 20, 2010 12:25 am 
I make turnovers about every 3 or 4 nights.... they cool down faster than pie... I use regular pie-crust pastry... and tried this the other night for a filling: 1 cup dried prunes - minced 1/2 cup walnuts - chopped 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel 1 tablespoon brown sugar cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, ginger, cardamom dash of salt 1/2 teaspoon tapioca the mixture seemed a little dry so I added 1 tablespoon maple syrup I thought they were pretty good. Girlfriend thought they were a bit dry - she didn't like the texture. ( She won't eat couscous or tabouli either. ) maybe Sarbar or dicentra can improve on it...

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
AR

AR
PostWed Oct 20, 2010 11:58 am 
I'd make pop tarts with her anytime. hockeygrin.gif

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Oct 20, 2010 12:15 pm 
Ski wrote:
I make turnovers about every 3 or 4 nights.... they cool down faster than pie... I use regular pie-crust pastry... and tried this the other night for a filling: 1 cup dried prunes - minced 1/2 cup walnuts - chopped 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel 1 tablespoon brown sugar cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, ginger, cardamom dash of salt 1/2 teaspoon tapioca the mixture seemed a little dry so I added 1 tablespoon maple syrup I thought they were pretty good. Girlfriend thought they were a bit dry - she didn't like the texture. ( She won't eat couscous or tabouli either. ) maybe Sarbar or dicentra can improve on it...
YUM.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Oct 20, 2010 3:22 pm 
Here is a recipe for Jam Tarts (from the old Peanuts Cookbook). Similar to poptarts, but simpler i.e. more suited for the culinary touron. Franklin's Jam Tarts 2 C flour 1/2 tsp salt 2/3 C shortening 1/4 C water Sift flour and salt and combine with shortening. Add water to make dough. Roll out dough and cut circular top and bottom crusts with the top of a drinking glass. Place tsp of jam (or as much as you can) on bottom layer, place top layer over bottom and press edges together. Bake at 375 deg for 25 minutes. hungry.gif edit: I forgot to add, put a few slits in the top of each jam tart to allow heat to escape, and sprinkle the tops with sugar after you've pulled them from the oven.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 21, 2010 1:33 am 
I thought I'd give it another shot... so I tried about 3/4 cup small dried prunes - cut up into quarters about 2/3 cup dried cranberries about 2/3 cup walnuts - chopped I didn't have fresh grated orange peel so I used about 1/2 teaspoon dried orange peel dash salt cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, ginger, cardamom 1/2 teaspoon tapioca 1 tablespoon brown sugar 2 tablespoons maple syrup I soaked the prunes and cranberries ( with the dried orange peel ) in about 1/4 cup boiling water for about half an hour, then mixed in the rest of the ingredients. These turned out way better - she even liked them this time.
turnovers01-102010
turnovers01-102010
turnovers02-102010
turnovers02-102010

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
kayakbear

kayakbear
PostMon Dec 06, 2010 6:44 am 
Ski wrote:
I soaked the prunes and cranberries ( with the dried orange peel ) in about 1/4 cup boiling water for about half an hour, then mixed in the rest of the ingredients.
you can also throw them into the food processor to make a more paste-like texture.

touron

touron
PostMon Mar 07, 2011 5:50 pm 
Even the major news agencies are picking up on the trend.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
kayakbear

kayakbear
PostFri Mar 11, 2011 6:25 am 
hmmmm.....I wonder how long homemade pop tarts would last if I threw them in the vacuum sealer. I would use a simple butter, egg and flour dough with jam or nutella inside....

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Mar 11, 2011 9:08 am 
kayakbear wrote:
hmmmm.....I wonder how long homemade pop tarts would last if I threw them in the vacuum sealer. I would use a simple butter, egg and flour dough with jam or nutella inside....
Not so long honestly for prime taste. They are something to savor right away, preferably hot biggrin.gif I did them awhile back and they were quite tasty.... http://gazingin.com/2010/11/14/quick-little-tarts/

kayakbear

kayakbear
PostFri Mar 11, 2011 10:14 am 
sarbar wrote:
kayakbear wrote:
Not so long honestly for prime taste. They are something to savor right away, preferably hot biggrin.gif I did them awhile back and they were quite tasty.... http://gazingin.com/2010/11/14/quick-little-tarts/
Oh I def agree on the hot factor. This is what I was thinking: bake em up, freezer them individually, then vacuum seal, store in freezer. On a 3 day trip, take a couple out and by the time they defrost they are ready to eat on the trail. 2 concerns: 1. soggy pop. Although I could prolly deal with this by freezing first in dry ice 2. stale pop. If i freeze em, and have em3-4 days in, how fresh would they taste? I would prolly give them a quick turn in the pan to warm them up in the morning...

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Mar 11, 2011 10:47 am 
I'd probably end up eating them on the way to the trailhead knowing me lol.gif

rasbo

rasbo
PostFri Mar 18, 2011 7:57 pm 
looks like a great rainy day recipe,I will make these