Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wickersham Dome/Summit Trail White Mtns. Rec. Area, Alaska
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostTue Apr 27, 2010 11:25 am 
Permafrost
Permafrost
Wickersham Dome T.H.
Wickersham Dome T.H.
Summit Trail--White Mtns.
Summit Trail--White Mtns.
Vista from Wickersham Dome
Vista from Wickersham Dome
Had some extra time and I was north of Fairbanks, AK. I drove up the Elliot Highway to Wickersham Dome trailhead which is also the White Mountains Summit Trail's start. I hiked about 1.5 miles up to a bald tunda-capped highpoint before the trail ducked into shady, snow-laden taiga forest. Views were outstanding, although the terrain was fairly tame, Kinda like the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Vistas included hundreds of square miles with hardly a trace of mankind. Temperature was 55 or so, and very breezy on the east-facing sides ridgetops. Ironic that there is generally more above treeline snow-free hiking north of Fairbanks, AK, than Washington State right now. dizzy.gif Travel was easy in the tundras above treeline. Looked difficult in lower elevations due to swamps, snow, creeks, brush, ice flows, and permafrost-bogs. Permafrost is cool!
Tundra and Forest
Tundra and Forest
White Mtns. --AK
White Mtns. --AK
Wickersham Dome
Wickersham Dome
Alaska--Spring--2010 144
Alaska--Spring--2010 144

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mega-Will
country bumpkin

Mega-Will
country bumpkin
PostTue Apr 27, 2010 5:01 pm 
Re: Wickersham Dome/Summit Trail  White Mtns. Rec. Area, Alaska
Movenhike wrote:
Ironic that there is generally more above treeline snow-free hiking north of Fairbanks, AK, than Washington State right now. dizzy.gif
agree.gif Generally way better weather through June too. Too bad August is rainy... How long are you hangin' out in my stomping grounds? (I live in Delta Jct. 100 miles southeast of FBX). If you get a chance, head down here and 20 miles further down the Richardson Hwy for the hike up Donnelly Dome. The terrain's not so tame down here smile.gif If you can come down in late afternoon / evening / weekend, I'd be happy to go with.

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostThu Apr 29, 2010 11:36 pm 
Meganerd, - cool for the invite bro up.gif Unfortunately I'm tied up in Los Anchorage for the rest of my visit most likely shakehead.gif I may hike around here again this weekend before I leave, but I'd understand if you don't want to leave Alaska lol.gif and join me.

Mega-Will
country bumpkin

Mega-Will
country bumpkin
PostFri Apr 30, 2010 10:01 am 
Yeah, bad financial timing I'm afraid. Gotta say though that I've got no problem whatsoever with Anchorage - people say "20 minutes from Alaska" like it's an insult, but I can't think of anywhere in the world with the urban conveniences vs. outdoor recreation opportunities that Anchorage has. Not sure how familiar you are with the area, but the best snow free hiking to be had this time of year is probably from the McHugh Creek Trailhead, off the Seward Highway a few miles south of town. The Eagle River Valley, Turnagain Arm to Portage Lake, and Hatcher Pass north of Palmer are all highly recommended too. The hiking will likely be limited by snow but the scenery is fantastic.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Apr 30, 2010 7:06 pm 
Quote:
Eagle River Valley
Great area!

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostFri Apr 30, 2010 9:44 pm 
Aww pardon if I sound like I'm doggin' ANC too much, It is spectacular. In the same vein as Salt Lake City, where I once lived- Urban amenities vs. outdoor opportunities up.gif I do love gettin' out into the hinterlands though!! Thanks for the leads on trails, I may scout out the McHugh suggestion tommorrow evening.

El Puma

El Puma
PostSat May 01, 2010 6:38 am 
Probably too late in the year, but when we lived in FAI, we drove up to Ester Dome quite a few times to watch the Aurora when it was forecast to be good (and the University people in FAI are the experts). It's undescribably awesome when it's -30, so clear and calm that you can hear them crackle!