Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Serene & Bridal Veil Falls 4-22-10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 5:30 pm 
Lake Serene & Bridal Veil Falls 4-22-10 Hiked with a new friend today that found me through WTA website, guess all that Trip Reporting pays off and someone actually reads them. We had planned to meet for months but it just never worked . So today we finally matched up our schedules and the weather cooperated. She picked Lake Serene after reading some current reports. I must say it was a great choice. I had only been there once and it was years ago and pouring down rain. Today was much better. I think we hit it off immediately. So nice to have another woman to hike with that shares my passion for hiking and the outdoors. I've got quite the list of friends to hike with now. On to the report. We arrived at 8:00 AM we were the second car in the parking lot. I remember the trail was VERY muddy last time I was here. Today not at all.
Some snow the last mile on the trail, it should melt off very soon. We went to the falls and got sprayed a bit. Light was not optimal early morning for photos but I tried anyway.
Tons of bleeding hearts dawn the trail first mile or so. We had lunch at the lunch box rock (i think that's what it's called). Just a tiny bit of post holing to get there.
Lake was iced over and starting to thaw at the edges foggy and mysterious when we arrived and kept trying to lift. We saw sun for a moment or two.
We heard a couple of avalanches which was way cool. Didn't see them due to clouds but it was still fun. We quickly got cold and headed back down around noon. A few more coming up as we were heading down. Sun was really starting to come out by 1:30 and we finally got a view of Index on the way out. Next time I will see it from the lake.. just another reason to go back.
I ate my first bug today, was chatting it up and bug flew right in and I couldn't cough him up! Yuck! Also got my first leg cramp, that has NEVER happened.. I think it was all those damm stairs! Thank goodness it didn't last too long. Great day out with a new friend 10 miles and a good workout!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 7:25 pm 
I love the waterfall pics that really look like falling water. up.gif up.gif Thanks, Jan.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 7:50 pm 
^^^ You're funny David. clown.gif In all seriousness, you took some really nice pics. I like this one,
At first, all you see are the various shades of green. Then you notice the stairs, but you cant see where the stairs end, only where they start, which makes your mind wander. Thats good. up.gif The symmetry in this picture is perfect,
the angle of the water across the pefectly square rocks. Nice capture. agree.gif

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 9:44 pm 
ditto.gif on the waterfall pic...NICE!!! And dance.gif for good hiking friends! winksmile.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 9:46 pm 
another wonderful hike......and a hiking buddy! love the photos but looks cold! up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
kurimusoda

kurimusoda
PostThu Apr 29, 2010 11:53 am 
I'm thinking of doing Lake Serene this weekend, and I was wondering specifically what type of pass I need to park at the trailhead? I know REI sells them, but it would be most convenient if I can just put $5 in a box at the trailhead and then park...

tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Apr 29, 2010 12:18 pm 
kurimusoda wrote:
I'm thinking of doing Lake Serene this weekend, and I was wondering specifically what type of pass I need to park at the trailhead? I know REI sells them, but it would be most convenient if I can just put $5 in a box at the trailhead and then park...
You need a forest service pass. You can't pay at the trailhead. Many stores/gas stations in the area will sell them or you can get one at a ranger station. I think the fine is like $75 if you get ticketed and in that lot on a weekend there's a good chance you would be.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostThu Apr 29, 2010 3:44 pm 
There's plenty of room to park prior to and past the turnoff to the side road leading to the TH if you don't mind walking an additional 300-400ft.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
hikerbiker

hikerbiker
PostThu Apr 29, 2010 9:00 pm 
GeoHiker wrote:
There's plenty of room to park prior to and past the turnoff to the side road leading to the TH if you don't mind walking an additional 300-400ft.
I believe the regulations state you need to be 1/4 mi. away from the parking lot to not need a pass; some sites even have a sign when you get close enough to need one. smile.gif

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri Apr 30, 2010 12:13 am 
Not really, it's up to the FS land manager or who ever installs the sign. Many THs it's far closer than 1/4 mile. Spider Gap TH it's .56 mi. down.gif Such is the case with this TH. You can park along the Mt. Index Rd. which is a county road. I've done it many times.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Apr 30, 2010 12:24 am 
Personally, I'm okay with paying the whopping $15/year for the parking pass knowing it helps maintain the parking lots and the nice portables i most certainly will use both before and after a hike.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostFri Apr 30, 2010 5:28 am 
I think it's more like $30 a year, isn't it? Last year I bought the combo America the beautiful for $80 since I'm at Rainer so much.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Apr 30, 2010 11:40 am 
I stand corrected... $30.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Apr 30, 2010 12:47 pm 
Yea I did the $80 deal as well. I discovered in the last year or so that Rainier is pretty easy access from SE Renton not to mention going to places in the Olympics.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Apr 30, 2010 10:59 pm 
Very nice! Great that you found another good partner. Thanks for the report!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com