Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Whats your favorite beer while hiking.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat May 15, 2010 12:10 am 
I am also a fan of McTarnahan's, how could you not with a name like that? It is a very good Scottish ale, another fav of mine is Full Sail amber ale, not as strong as Mac & Jacs, {which seriously should come with a warning label}, it is very full-bodied with a great malt flavour, a clean finish, and nice head retention.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat May 15, 2010 12:54 am 
More often than not I'll take a beer or several with me on a hiking trip. My favorite beers aren't available in cans but frankly after a long, hot day of packing just about anything cold and beery tastes great. Often I'll take Foster's ale, PBR, Boddington's, sometimes even Guiness. When Jack goes with me it's his job to carry the beer.

Mega-Will
country bumpkin

Mega-Will
country bumpkin
PostThu May 20, 2010 4:45 pm 
pink flamingo thief wrote:
Boundary Bay Imperial IPA.
I didn't think they bottled that confused.gif shakehead.gif bawl.gif waah.gif I guess I wouldn't be opposed to clutching a great big growler while I hike and chugging a swig every now and then. ".......uh oh........unplanned bivy..........." ...plop.

Alpine Trout

Alpine Trout
PostMon May 24, 2010 12:21 pm 
There are plenty of great backpacking beers available in cans now if you look in the right places. 21st Amendment Brew Free or Die IPA, TenFidy Stout and Gubna IPA (about $15/4 pack of cans) all pack a great punch and taste like a real beer. Check out Malt and Vine in Redmond for your beer essentials.

Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostMon May 24, 2010 1:58 pm 
Old Chub and canned Fat Tire

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
soreyes

soreyes
PostTue May 25, 2010 2:26 pm 
Alpine Trout wrote:
There are plenty of great backpacking beers available in cans now if you look in the right places. 21st Amendment Brew Free or Die IPA, TenFidy Stout and Gubna IPA (about $15/4 pack of cans) all pack a great punch and taste like a real beer. Check out Malt and Vine in Redmond for your beer essentials.
One of the only things that lures me into a PCC - great canned beer selection.

rebooting
Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostTue May 25, 2010 5:08 pm 
Dale's Pale is a good choice for backpacking. Decent flavor, good weight to booze ratio, and in a can, so easy to crush for the pack out. For some reason, I tend to take a couple big Fosters oilcans when beach camping. But really, if I'm gonna drink, I'll usually bring a flask of scotch or good dark rum, or a small bottle of vodka. --Gray

Beer King
Drunk as Crap!

Beer King
Drunk as Crap!
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 12:43 am 
Sense im back...... ~Bump~. NOTE: I DO NOT DRINK THIS IS JUST FOR ENTERTAINMENT~! Enjoy =DDDD

Copy and paste, thats me! Don't forget the beer! https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7988266
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 3:55 am 
I think that instead of Geocaching that us ale lovers should begin alecaching, much more productive imo, plus ale (especially IPA) ages pretty well, so as long as you get to it before the freeze, it should be fine. Alecaching: Word of the day....

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 6:19 am 
I'm surprised I didn't mention this earlier... You can easily carry any kind of beer hiking - use soda bottles. Make sure the beer is well chilled and then pour it slowly and carefully into an empty soda bottle. Be sure to fill the bottle all the way to the top to keep the beer from going flat. Three 16 oz. soda bottles will hold 4 bottles (48 oz) of beer. Soda bottles are nice and light when empty and are designed to withstand the pressure of carbonated beverages. Don't use bottles with larger tops (like iced tea or juice bottles) that didn't originally carry carbonated drinks - I found this out the hard way...

Marshall_Dylan

Marshall_Dylan
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 4:49 pm 
To quote chiefjosef "if it gives me a buzz ill drink it"

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 7:05 pm 
Any beer when hiking is the best beer!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 10:44 pm 
Drunkpacker Joe wrote:
Any beer when hiking is the best beer!
I'm sure if you were buzzed you wouldn't care. lol.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jan 09, 2011 10:36 pm 
The brewery that makes Dale's also makes other beers, some even stronger than Dale's 6.5%. For example, their Ten Fidy Imperial Stout is 10.5% alcohol, and is in a can. I doubt you'll find much stronger beer in a can around here. There are quite a few places around that carry at least some Oskar Blues brewery beers. Their website has a search engine. http://www.oskarblues.com/about-us/beer-locator They also sell a beer called Old Chub, a Scottish style ale, at 8%, also in a can. And Gordon, a Double Red ale, at 8.7%, and Gubna, an IPA at 10%. All in cans. For me to carry beer backpacking it must meet three tests: be good beer, be strong beer, and be in a can. I'm about to crack open a can of Ten Fidy right now, purchased at Central market in Mill Creek. I'll let you know how it is.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Apr 27, 2011 4:05 pm 
Bump. Love this thread! If I'm on a day hike I might bring a bottle or two of whatever Im into at the time. If Im backpacking Ill pack some of the Fosters or Heini fat cans because you get a good amount of beer for the containing weight. However, you would never catch me drinking that crap at home or in town. Lately I have been drinking a lot of Stouts. Pike's Extra Stout is great as well as Ninkasi's Oatis Oatmeal Stout. I had Rogue's Imperial Stout at the Issaquah Brewhouse the other day and was fairly impressed as well. I was on an Elysian spree a bit ago and got burned out although their beer is great. I will also throw a thumbs up to Diamond Knot. Their IPAs are bomb but I think their Brown Ale is the best.