Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Whats your favorite beer while hiking.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Apr 27, 2011 5:23 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I think that instead of Geocaching that us ale lovers should begin alecaching, much more productive imo, plus ale (especially IPA) ages pretty well, so as long as you get to it before the freeze, it should be fine. Alecaching: Word of the day....
Great idea. up.gif I also thought of this way to get adults involved in "Easter egg hunts": the "eggs" should be those little bottles of booze. hmmm.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
veronika

veronika
PostWed Apr 27, 2011 5:45 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I also thought of this way to get adults involved in "Easter egg hunts": the "eggs" should be those little bottles of booze. hmmm.gif
We do that at Easter. "Beer Hunt". up.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 27, 2011 6:00 pm 
We have quite a selection here, some of the Quebec ones are quite good,eh drink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Apr 27, 2011 6:15 pm 
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Apr 27, 2011 10:10 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
We have quite a selection here, some of the Quebec ones are quite good,eh drink.gif
Yes true. If there is one thing Canadians are good at it's drinking and brewing. Hey that's 2 things, well I have had 2 beers. souse.gif Best beer for your buck, lately I have been drinking some Pabst blue ribbon, I think they changed their recipe lately, the previous one had a stronger, more distinct taste but I did not like it after 2-3. The new recipe remings me of Miller with maybe a bit more bite. 12 pack for about $8. Ale Caching, a good idea on a dayhike while planning for an over-nighter or 2.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
ONELUV1

ONELUV1
PostFri Apr 29, 2011 2:29 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
That is some good stuff but its viscosity makes it like drinking a 40weight oil. I stopped carrying beer backpacking. Instead bourbon or brandy, but it was usually Rainier 16ozers or 24s. Best summit beers I've had were PLiny The Elder from Russian River, HopSlam by Bells, cherry Lambic by New Glarus that I shared w/ my wife, and a Guiness on top of Mt Adams St. Patys day 2010.

Random Walker
Alpine Indolence

Random Walker
Alpine Indolence
PostFri Apr 29, 2011 2:55 pm 
Quote:
Whats your favorite beer while hiking.
Yup, whatever beer you pack in...

I love the smell of deet in the morning. The smell, you know that deet smell, the whole mountain. Smelled like... victory.
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostFri Apr 29, 2011 3:31 pm 
I often bring a beer for the first evening on an overnighter, and we often bring one as a summit beer on long ski-tour climbs (when it is all downhill from there). I prefer IPA at home, buy German Hefeweizen to celebrate, Mac & Jacks African going out to dinner, but I like good ole PBR on the summit.
Toasting myself, solo on South Sister's Summit 6/10
Toasting myself, solo on South Sister's Summit 6/10

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Feb 01, 2013 7:19 pm 
drink.gif By the way do you know how many "Search Results" yield "Beer"? doof.gif Picking a thread to go with...... Anyway.....Anyone tried Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA? hmmm.gif I was scared off from making the $8 investment today until I investigated further. I gather it might be tasty. I do like Sierra Nevada beers, hops and copper.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
hiker1

hiker1
PostFri Feb 01, 2013 10:43 pm 
Can't drink anything alcoholic when hiking. And if I'm driving home after the hike, no alcohol. But later, anything IPA, no matter the season, with preferences for Stone (best IPA in existence), Lagunitas IPA, Ninkasi IPA, Hop Ottin' IPA, maybe Ten Fidy Imperial Stout (mixed 50/50 with 5% ale). Don't much care for Deschutes, Alaskan, etc. Pay a little more, get more qualilty.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 01, 2013 10:46 pm 
Rangers IPA from Fort Collins, it comes in cans so it cools quick in a rocky mountain creek, an squishes down to nothin wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostSat Feb 02, 2013 8:31 pm 
Luc wrote:
hopstoopid.
nice choice, I like their Cappucino Stout also

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostSat Feb 02, 2013 8:43 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Another good choice. At 10.5% it almost justifies not carrying something lighter (I mean in weight). Some other imperial beers for the trail, all from my favorite brewery. Old Stock Ale 11.9% Old Rasputen Stout 9% Brother Thelonious Belgian Style Abbey Ale 9.4% And one from a mass producer: Sam Adams Imperial Wheat at >10%

fox212
lost in the woods...

fox212
lost in the woods...
PostMon Feb 04, 2013 1:21 pm 
+1 on Hop Ottin IPA! Good call, hiker1. Actually, I like most of the beers from Anderson Valley Brewery, especially the IPA and Boont amber ale. And their brewery is awesome and located in a redwood forest. A few buddies and I camped in the state park nearby and did a day hike to the brewery to take a tour up.gif Best. Day hike. Ever.

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Feb 04, 2013 2:31 pm 
150 proof rum. Absolute (100%, 200 proof) ethanol would be even more weight-efficient, but I don't know where I can get it.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.