Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wynoochee Point (Grays Harbor COHP) - 7 May 2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Paul M

Paul M
PostMon May 10, 2010 9:53 am 
With the gate now open and the forecast for improving weather Stu and I decided it was a good time to do this climb (a seasonal game closure of the upper Wynoochee River Road from October 1 to April 30 can add and extra 7.5 miles rt and 800 ft to this trip). We went Friday due to other commitments on the weekend and were surprised to find major road construction underway on the Wynoochee River Road. It turns out that some of the federal stimulus money has been put to work and the state will soon have 10+ miles of newly paved county road extending all the way to Wynoochee Lake. We were also surprised to find that the washout at Copper Creek has been repaired and a large new culvert installed, enabling you to drive another ¼ mile and gain ~200 ft elevation in your vehicle (if you don’t mind a few branch smacks on the overgrown road and having to back down this last part).
Repaired Copper Creek
Repaired Copper Creek
New culvert at Copper Creek
New culvert at Copper Creek
Stu and Big Red at the end of the road
Stu and Big Red at the end of the road
We left the truck at 8:15 and walked the abandoned road, hitting solid snow at 3000 ft. Because of this we took the spur heading right (east) at 3100 ft then punched directly up to meet the final spur road at 3500 ft in variable snow conditions (one step on top of the crust and the next one through). We were starting to regret leaving our snow shoes in the truck but were expecting firmer conditions higher. With the recent snow earlier in the week and forecast for warming weather we were concerned about the elevated avalanche risk so we elected to head for the west face and ridge, as our route would be in the shade most of the way up. At 4000 ft we entered a small basin that was littered with old debris. The temp was cool and we were still in the shade so we quickly made our way up to the ridge saddle (est 4300 ft). From there we donned crampons and continued up and left across moderately steep and exposed slopes towards the sharp upper ridge proper. The snow here was surprisingly hard even through there were signs of surface sloughs from the new snow earlier in the week. At 4700 ft we rounded a corner and found our self just below the ridge crest and a couple of hundred feet west of the COHP. Once on the ridge it was a short walk to the high point (4880+ ft) where we found the register. In it were names of past COHPers starting from the year 2000. The point was reached once in 2008 and again in 2009.
Spur road at 3500 ft
Spur road at 3500 ft
Open forest at 4100 ft
Open forest at 4100 ft
Punching steps to the saddle
Punching steps to the saddle
Below the COHP near the dead snags
Below the COHP near the dead snags
Grays Harbor COHP
Grays Harbor COHP
Stu at COHP
Stu at COHP
Paul at Grays Harbor COHP
Paul at Grays Harbor COHP
Ridge above the COHP
Ridge above the COHP
Cornice on Wynoochee Point
Cornice on Wynoochee Point
Capitol Peak
Capitol Peak
Mt Cruiser
Mt Cruiser
After spending a few minutes taking in the views we proceeded east (in to Mason County) and to the next bump (4920 ft) then decided to descend along the NW ridge back to the saddle road at 3460 ft and then out to the truck.
Descending from Wnoochee
Descending from Wnoochee
The COHP is by the snags in center of the picture
The COHP is by the snags in center of the picture
Route to final ridge crest
Route to final ridge crest
Pinwheels
Pinwheels
Road saddle at base of NW ridge
Road saddle at base of NW ridge
Early season is a good time to climb this COHP, but pay attention to the snow conditions as there are numerous terrain traps along the way. I think the NW ridge approach may the preferable route. Start by traversing left and upward several hundred feet from the road saddle then generally work your way along the ridge to the upper slopes.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon May 10, 2010 10:42 am 
Well this is certainly an unusual location that does not see many TRs. Are you and your buddy pursuing the WA COHP list? Yeah we never posted a TR as we should have but that Copper Creek washout was repaired when we visited on 5/18/2008. We figured the only reason they would bother was if they were going to use the road for some logging soon and that there was thus a chance that they might also brush out that road and also repair the rubble above the first switchback. But it sounds like that has not been done, at least not yet. Maybe the logging went in a different direction or hasn't happened yet.

Paul M

Paul M
PostMon May 10, 2010 11:24 am 
yea, we are working on the COHP list since we have already climbed a number of things on the list anyways. Here is what Stu and I have already completed in Wash. I don't think they will repair the access road any time soon. But you may be right about extending further up the valley. We drove it a bit and someone had cut some trees across the "road" already.
Wa completion map PEM 2010 May 25 count
Wa completion map PEM 2010 May 25 count
Wa State COHP completion map Stu 26
Wa State COHP completion map Stu 26

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon May 10, 2010 11:49 am 
Ah yes you are pretty far along then. It looks like you just have Olympus and Big Horn and then the remainder will be quick and easy. Stu looks to have a little bit more work left with Bonanza and Buckner. Although he has tagged my nemisis- Walla Walla County. I won't be finishing for years (if ever) but I try to nibble away at the COHPs here and there.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon May 10, 2010 1:21 pm 
Ahhh... Walla Walla County. Been there, done that, have no desire to return. Much like Douglas County's HP. paranoid.gif Nice maps!!! Most of the way there!!! Thanks for posting this trip report, too. It's great beta.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSun May 16, 2010 11:09 pm 
It must be a popular year for this CoHP and peak. I visited the Grays Harbor CoHP yesterday (May 15). First, Paul & Stu had visited the CoHP the weekend before I did. Second, Andy Boos visited the CoHP two days before I did. I think I probably had the worst snow conditions of the three visits during the week. From Copper Creek Pass to ~4500', it was an awful snow slog. I was not aware of Andy Boos visiting the peak until I reached the summit register, and the warming trend had all but eliminated even his tracks in many places from only two days prior. I used with knowledge of past reports as well as what I considered to be my best judgement to find the best route (for me) to reach the summit ridge. The diciest spot of the entire trip was while in the steep lower forested sections when a snow embankment disappeared below my feet while traversing around a rock arete. Thank goodness I had my "green belay" in check beforehand, and I was closely watching every step and handhold the whole time. up.gif The snow on the summit ridge was surprisingly consolidated... I could virtually run across it and around it (with microspikes on). When I got close, I temporarily stashed my gear, minus my ice axe and one trekking pole, and proceeded to visit the various peak points. I was shocked to find multiple boot paths in the snow near and on the summit ridge... more than from only two people. Once I saw Andy Boos' name on the summit register, it made sense why the extra boot paths were there. Still, I was shocked how much snow had melted in only a week. I was also disappointed to find no snow pinwheels as Paul & Stu had. waah.gif This was not the easiest or the safest WA CoHP to reach, but it definitely has outstanding views that made the entire journey worthwhile. Also, on a side-note, I LOVED the red rocks I passed while en route to Copper Creek Pass. agree.gif

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSun May 16, 2010 11:13 pm 
I forgot to mention in my previous post that I was so enthusiast after visiting the Grays Harbor CoHP, that I decided to visit the Grays Harbor CoGPP candidates on my return-trip to Montesano. Then I was so enthusiastic after visiting a prominent peak, that I decided to do a WA 2kP peak while on a trip to run some errands in Leavenworth early this morning. I summited Tumwater Mountain... and HATED the massive amount of fallen timber debris on the summit ridge... but liked the large summit boulder.