Forum Index > Trip Reports > Domerie, Baldy and Thomas Mt 5/11/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostTue May 11, 2010 10:49 pm 
First the logistics of this hike. The Green Trails map does not show the new road that was cut recently by the Forest Service through a piece of land they recently bought. I-90 East to exit 70. Turn left and cross the hwy then turn left again. Follow the road as it runs along I-90 and turn right at Kachess Dam Road. The road becomes gravel about 200 yards later and is Road 4818. Follow on this past the powerlines (old trailhead road 203). The next good right is where you'll turn right, it's a one lane road that goes for about a mile that ends at the TH for the Easton Ridge and Kachess Ridge trails. Hike in past the sign and just before the sign for Kachess Ridge Trail you go through an opening in the trees to the old trailhead and follow the stream to the left and through the dirt bike blocker and cross the bridge.
The Kachess Ridge Trailhead is by this sign ahead, the Easton Ridge trail starts through the opening on the right before this sign.
The Kachess Ridge Trailhead is by this sign ahead, the Easton Ridge trail starts through the opening on the right before this sign.
An effort by the Forest Service to keep dirtbikes off the trail
An effort by the Forest Service to keep dirtbikes off the trail
Ok, so last night I pulled a Slugman and slept in the back of my Subie on a foam matress and bedding at the TH and got an early start today (6:45am) The trail started out in a nice thick forest and gained elevation rather quickly, like Tiger Mt Cable Trail quick!
Trail
Trail
The GT map shows the first section of trail gaining 1K feet in .8 miles. Well the .8 miles is a bit short of actual. After about .8 mile I reached a logging road where I followed it to the left for about 30 yards then found the trail on the left once again and proceeded up more, gaining elevation quickly again. I had stopped along the logging road for a view of a goat across the valley, he's in the video smile.gif I headed further up the trail and eventually reached the junction with the Easton Ridge Trail and turned left up the Domerie Divide Trail.
Soon I got a view to the west .
First views looking west
First views looking west
I started to hit a few snow patches but nothing to get too worried about. Finally I reached the top of the ridge but couldn't find the trail jct marker, oh well. I headed south along on top of heading towards Baldy and Domerie. The snow was firm enough that I didn't need the snowshoes yet. I stayed a bit below the ridge and soon passed over Baldy which didn't seem too significant.
Sunlight through the trees
Sunlight through the trees
I continued up to Domerie and the clouds were wisping over the ridge and plummeting down the east side towards Lake Cle Elum.
The clouds kept creeping over the ridge then shooting down towards Cle Elum Lake
The clouds kept creeping over the ridge then shooting down towards Cle Elum Lake
I spent a few minutes on the summit with limited views before heading back north to eyeball Thomas.
Just below the dummit of Domerie Peak
Just below the dummit of Domerie Peak
After the trail jct the route drops about 200 feet into the forest where the snow was deeper and softer.
Snow through the trees
Snow through the trees
I donned my snowshoes and made decent time through the flats then quickly the ridge got steep and narrowed as it climbs towards Thomas. Finally I reached the summit and the views to the east were grand!
At the summit of Thomas Mt
At the summit of Thomas Mt
Wet socks frame Mt Stuart
Wet socks frame Mt Stuart
I put on a dry pair of socks and 20 minutes later I headed back down. By now the clouds were clearing and the views everywhere were getting better. The climb back up the ridge from the flats was a bugger, I was tired and the snow was even softer now too. Finally back at the jct I soaked in more views.
Heading back down looking back
Heading back down looking back
Back down the trail I finally removed my snowshoes near 4600' and made my way down the steep trail to the footbridge where I stopped for a few photos of the man made waterfall.
Looking under the little manmade waterfall near the trailhead
Looking under the little manmade waterfall near the trailhead
I met a Ranger and chatted her up for a few minutes before heading to my car and heading home. What an awesome day to be out in the mountains!
Route Map
Route Map

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed May 12, 2010 12:44 am 
Nice hat, but you're not allowed to get a white towel to go with it - that's a registered hikermark.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostWed May 12, 2010 5:14 am 
Nice! up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
peltoms

peltoms
PostWed May 12, 2010 6:04 am 
The mountain goat is not at its most attractive. Nice shot of the forest lighting.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostWed May 12, 2010 8:41 am 
Gotta agree with Peltoms...that's one mangy goat. And hey, nice music choice!

Opinions expressed here are my own.