Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sexy Sunset Summiting Stimson
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostWed May 12, 2010 3:28 pm 
On the evening of 5/11/10 I hiked to the top of Stimson Hill. I left the gated logging road at about 6:30pm thinking it wouldn't take very long to get to the summit. Being my first time up to this highpoint, I wasn't sure what to expect. Per google earth, I knew that it was roughly 3.5 miles to the summit and about 2,600' of elevation gain. So I knew it would be a decent incline, and thats exactly what it was. The logging road goes up and then it just keeps going up.
ROAD WALK WITH VIEWS
ROAD WALK WITH VIEWS
SUNSET OVER MT ERIE(left) AND MT CONSTITUTION(right)
SUNSET OVER MT ERIE(left) AND MT CONSTITUTION(right)
This would be a good hike for conditioning and training. Most of the hike is through forested areas with lots of ferns and typical undergrowth. You can look back in some spots and start to see views of the Puget Sound as you rise quickly in elevation. The hike gains elevation (2,600’) the whole way up to the summit.
WATER, MOSS AND BIG ROCK
WATER, MOSS AND BIG ROCK
Large Leaved Avens
Large Leaved Avens
Herb-Robert
Herb-Robert
There's a whole USGS quad named after this highpoint. Stimson Hill rises to 2,892’ with an impressive prominence of 1,852’. In fact, Stimson makes it into Washington States top 200 peaks by prominence. It took me about 1.5 hours to get to the top. This was stoping here and there to look at the flowers and what not.
YELLOW
YELLOW
BLEEDING HEART LOOKING TIRED
BLEEDING HEART LOOKING TIRED
LADY FERN OF THE FOREST
LADY FERN OF THE FOREST
Once you reach the true summit the views are great looking down on Arlington and out into the Puget Sound. When I reached the summit it was a bit clouded and getting late, which limited some of the views. You can hike from here to other highpoints to see amazing views of Three Fingers, Whitehorse, Big Deer Peak and other peaks in the local area. Some of the viewpoints will require some bushwhacking through Alders, Cascara and Willows.
PINK VIEWS
PINK VIEWS
VIEW TOWARD THE SALT WATER
VIEW TOWARD THE SALT WATER
One of the highpoints had some pretty cool looking rocks that you could climb in the timber. However there weren't any views from this spot.
ROCK FACE AT HIGHPOINT
ROCK FACE AT HIGHPOINT
The sunset views were... well, pretty dang sexy.
SEXY SUNSET
SEXY SUNSET
BALL OF FIRE
BALL OF FIRE
SUNSET OVER MT ERIE AND SUGARLOAF
SUNSET OVER MT ERIE AND SUGARLOAF
GREAT BALL OF FIRE TOWARD THE ISLANDS
GREAT BALL OF FIRE TOWARD THE ISLANDS
PURPLE AND PINK
PURPLE AND PINK
Coming back down you look out over the town of Arlington. There sure was more lights then I would have ever of thought. Kind of sweet to look over the town from this vantage point.
ARLINGTON AT NIGHT
ARLINGTON AT NIGHT
ARLINGTON LIGHTS
ARLINGTON LIGHTS
Round Trip is approximately 7 Miles. If you search around for viewpoints like I did, mileage could be added to this figure. Total elevation gain to the Summit is 2,600’.
TOPO OF THE ROUTE TO STIMSON
TOPO OF THE ROUTE TO STIMSON
STIMSON AND WASHINGTON SEEN FROM BALD MOUNTAIN
1 label
STIMSON AND WASHINGTON SEEN FROM BALD MOUNTAIN
Getting There Take Highway 9 north out of Arlington to Bryant. Turn east (Right) on Grandview Road for 4.6 miles, then north (left) on Cedarvale Road. A little over a mile you will come to a right corner in the road and will pass over rock creek drainage, immediately to your left you will see a yellow gate. Park here, but make sure not to block the gate.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostThu May 13, 2010 7:45 pm 
I discovered this one via an old Footloose 3 book and went up solo one morning 2-3 months ago. It was lovely - even the family of ATV people weren't around me enough to disturb the peace for long. I'll have to get some people together for a sunset trip up there sometime - looks gorgeous. I assume it's an active road weekdays? Probably we wouldn't want to get there before 5?

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu May 13, 2010 8:23 pm 
I agree, very sexy indeed! Great images.. I love sunrises...

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostSat May 15, 2010 9:21 am 
Highwalker's Daughter- I did notice some ATV tracks up there, but I don't think they can get around the lower gate. There are a couple homes in the area that might have a back trail access... It really is a good evening hike for sunsets. Hikingqueen- I love sunrises too!!! How about sunsets, you like those?