Forum Index > Trip Reports > Alder Springs, Crooked River National Grassland, Oregon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostSat May 15, 2010 1:58 pm 
I was down in Bend, OR this week. My friends suggested a hike in the Crooked River National Grassland west of Terrebonne, Oregon. It turned out to be an excellent hike in a desert canyon.
Crooked river national grassland
Crooked river national grassland
Black Butte
Black Butte
Sisters
Sisters
mountains looming above crooked river national grassland
mountains looming above crooked river national grassland
The trailhead is well signed from Holmes Road and it's about 5 mile from pavement down a fairly bumpy gravel road (passable in just about any rig). I descended below the rim on a good trail down towards Squaw Creek. A junction tha led straight down to the creek was passed after 1/3 mile. I zigzaged down passing some cool formations. Many flowers were blooming. Sagebrush were also bearing flowers.
little white and yellow
little white and yellow
Sagebrush blooming
Sagebrush blooming
near trailhead
near trailhead
descending from rim
descending from rim
After about 1 1/4 miles I reached the 1st springs of Alder Springs, which were on both sides of the creek. The creek did not have a bridge so I forded barefoot. The crossing was knee-deep and the current somewhat swift.
Alder springs info
Alder springs info
creek ford
creek ford
crossing of Squaw creek
crossing of Squaw creek
Alder Springs meadow
Alder Springs meadow
hoodoo
hoodoo
After stumbling across, I investigated the beautiful Alder Springs meadows. There were a few choice campsites near the creek and various springs.
Mossy oasis in the desert
Mossy oasis in the desert
Several more campsites were further down the trail. I continued on towards the confluence of the Deschutes River. The closer I got to the Deschutes, the more interesting the canyon rock fomations became.
Trail and formations
Trail and formations
Squaw Creek
Squaw Creek
Lower Squaw creek
Lower Squaw creek
Gettin' crooked 2
Gettin' crooked 2
Gettin' Crooked
Gettin' Crooked
Meadow near confluence
Meadow near confluence
yellow
yellow
Canyon Scenery
Canyon Scenery
Basalt
Basalt
Deschutes River/Squaw Creek confluence area
Deschutes River/Squaw Creek confluence area
Deschutes rocks and rim
Deschutes rocks and rim
Deschutes rocks
Deschutes rocks
Deschutes River Canyon
Deschutes River Canyon
During this segment I passed by by two sets of fisher-people who were returning from the river. Shortly past the confluence the trail led up into a talus field. Past this the trail deteriorated into a brushy mess, so I turned around. Roundtrip from trailhead to the Descutes river is approximately 6 miles.
Catepillar house
Catepillar house
Canyon Meadow
Canyon Meadow
Aproaching the trailhead on the way back I detoured down the the Old Bridge trail. Supposedly there are Native American pictographs down near the creek on this trail but unfortunately I never found them. bawl.gif By the time I returned to the trailhead I had covered about 9 miles and had developed a notable sunburn. My elevation gain for the day was perhaps 1000' all together. I spent 6 or so hours in the canyon. The Crooked River Grassland is very beautiful and Central Oregon in general seems to have a lot going for it. up.gif

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kyle d

kyle d
PostSat May 15, 2010 5:15 pm 
Nice. Looks like you're getting out all over the place lately.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message