Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chumstick Mountain 5/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu May 13, 2010 1:23 pm 
Location : North of Cashmere Access : SR 2 > Nahahum Canyon Rd > FR 7412 > FR 7415 > 7400 Map : GTM –Cashmere, TOPO Stats : 5 mi, 2000’ r/t
Chumstick Mountain
Chumstick Mountain
Hit the Trail and I had been trying to get out on a trip, so a mid-week, blue sky day came along and I threw Chumstick Mountain out as a destination, with it’s 5810’ open summit and 360 degree views, and we had a hike. The crux of the trip this time of year might very well be getting up the forest road towards the mountain. In the early Spring it’s a 10-11 mile round trip snowshoe, late Spring it’s much shorter, depending upon how recreational four wheel drivers have left it. Coming up Derby Canyon out of Peshastin has typically been a very good route, and the Nahahum Canyon Route has been a little nastier because it runs along the North side of a shaded ridge, but it’s quite a few miles shorter. Hit the Trail said he would drive and broke out the lifted Toyota Tacoma 4x4. We made it to the junction of FR 7400 where we had planned to stop and walk (have to get some exercise) from around 4000’, but the road to that point was indeed heavily rutted, muddy, with a few muddy ponds which his truck had no problem dealing with, but I wouldn’t drive anything less through there. From that point it was a nice walk up the forest road, with patches of consolidated snow, and ice around 4500’ in shaded areas, followed by several steep grades, one to the ridge, and one to the summit, with increasing views. It was a little before noon so still coolish, and a bit windy at times, but very nice.
Big Lou to Big Jim
Big Lou to Big Jim
McClellan
McClellan
Temple Ridge area
Temple Ridge area
Mountain bike trail to Entiat Ridge.
Mountain bike trail to Entiat Ridge.
Mountain bike trail to the summit
Mountain bike trail to the summit
Hit the Trail
Hit the Trail
Rat Creek Drainage
Rat Creek Drainage
Nice day, cool winds.
Nice day, cool winds.
Mt. David
Mt. David
Lake Augusta Basin and Big Jim
Lake Augusta Basin and Big Jim
After the usual point and shoot’s, and a relaxed lunch we headed back, and it had warmed up nicely. We decided to take Derby Canyon Rd. (7400) back to Peshastin (you know the good road, old reliable) and that nice road had been trashed, and in worse condition than the road coming up Nahahum Canyon and eventually we ran into a rough section that had been worked over by a CAT leaving large rocks and loose dirt to drive through, we then came to a grader working, and another CAT. So it looks like both accesses are trashed for now, but somebody is repairing the Derby Canyon side. Great trip with a little road warrior adventure. Great to get out with Hit the Trail.
Enchantments - Stuart
Enchantments - Stuart
Chiwaukum Ridge
Chiwaukum Ridge
Summit Pano 1
Summit Pano 1
Summit Pano 2
Summit Pano 2
The Maude - 7FJ - Ferno w - Copper Complex
The Maude - 7FJ - Ferno w - Copper Complex

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostThu May 13, 2010 1:46 pm 
Looks like a lovely spot and day.

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostThu May 13, 2010 2:20 pm 
Nice trip! Love the pics, the mountains looked so clean and sparkly yesterday. Felt like the beginning of summer around Leavenworth. The views from Chumstick are amazing! It's starting. It's that time of year where I start worrying about where to go on the next hike because there is too much to choose from. What a beautiful thing! biggrin.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu May 13, 2010 8:06 pm 
Wildernessed, Good idea, it played well. We could not have ask for better weather or vis. Also, I have not been four-wheeling like that since I was a teenager. All in all a great day with equally great company. Since my camera is not in the same league with yours I will not degrade the scenery photos by adding any of mine. That limits my contribution to a hearty thanks for the invite and a couple of snapshots.
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Wildernessed
Wildernessed
Yours Truly
Yours Truly
Mud Romp
Mud Romp

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu May 13, 2010 8:17 pm 
up.gif Mud Romp! I like it!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat May 15, 2010 5:40 am 
These are the kind of beta shots you like to see. Here is the Rat Creek Drainage taken from Chumstick showing the route to Cannon Peak once you drop over the ridge into Cooney Lake Basin from the Mountaineer Creek approach, it shows the two couloirs you go up and the final slope to Cannons summit. up.gif Guidebook shot.
Rat Creek Drainage
Rat Creek Drainage

Living in the Anthropocene
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSat May 15, 2010 8:23 am 
Nice Rob. Great views. up.gif