Forum Index > Partners > Trash party hike - June 13th @ Goat Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
veronika

veronika
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 8:58 am 
Any good overnight camping in the area? Not far from the trailhead hopefully?

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 9:53 am 
If you mean car camping, then "yes". There are several nice small camping areas on the Mtn Loop Highway. If you are coming from Granite Falls, then after you cross Barlow pass and descend a bit, you will come to Monte Cristo lake. That's where some of the nicer spots start popping up on the side of the road, and they are very close to the TH. They are basically right before and right after the short road you take to get to the trail head. One thing to consider though is that it will be Saturday night if you are coming out the day before, and the camps may be full. Hey, here's an idea: let's have a mini-social Saturday night. I get out of work at 5 pm, so I could be up there by 6:30 or so, plenty of time to barbecue and have one or three friendly brews. But I'm not staying up past midnight! nono.gif

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 10:15 am 
I think that's a great idea...but Sluggo has it right, the camp sites can fill up fast on the weekend. I imagine since the weather is supposed to be nice they will more likely be taken. Then again.....i don't need a level spot to camp. hockeygrin.gif To be honest....i was thinking about camping out some where near the TH....even though i don't live that far away.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 10:30 am 
There is a perfect camping place, not likely to be full, in an excellent location, but it is a bit of a drive from the Goat lake TH. I'm thinking of the Sloan Creek campground on FS 49. It's about 4 or 5 miles past the road to Goat lake to get to FS 49, then I think another 7 miles on FS 49 to the campground. But man is it great. No vehicles blasting by, covering you with dust, as can happen if you are too close to the Mtn Loop highway. And there is a grove of super-humongous trees starting right at the campground. It has a complete wilderness feel to it, and the wilderness boundary is just a few feet away on the N Fk Sauk trail.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 10:45 am 
Great suggestion once again Slugman. up.gif up.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 10:56 am 
OK, I'm there at 7 pm on Saturday evening. That leaves a perfect 5 hours to have fun until midnight, then a good eight hours sleep, breakfast, drive to the Goat lake TH, and hiking by 9 am no problem. I may leave the dog home again, since BPJ has very kindly offered me the use of his spare raft. We'll have a veritable flotilla! Hulk, BPJ, Tyler, and me, that'll be cool.

veronika

veronika
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 11:14 am 
I was actually thinking of heading out tomorrow after work. I get off at 6pm and maybe get a spot?

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 11:26 am 
It's facinating how these things evolve... I need to be back home by mid-Sunday. I was toying with the idea of rafting the lake early Saturday, camping upwind from the trash heap Saturday night, and floating a load out on Sunday morning. Carting a load of firewood into Sloan Creek CG on Friday night would be a simple enough extension.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
veronika

veronika
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 11:42 am 
Sloan is PERFECT! I could do the 26 mile loop from NF Sauk. Of course distance depends on snow levels for me and the snow on the trails seems to be up there well through July. mad.gif

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 11:58 am 
I'm still optimistic. The unusually early melt was well underway when "winter" hit in March. The new stuff sits on top of a base that was highly voided to start with. Also, as Slugman points out, the current snow is not the typical solid lense. I'm hoping that the poor consolidation and undermined nature of the remaining snow will make it go quick. Elliott Creek should be pretty noisy by Sunday.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
veronika

veronika
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 12:10 pm 
I will only go as far as I can. I am almost positive the snow conditions will indeed prevent me from doing the complete loop. I could do the trip counterclockwise as far as possible and then clockwise as far as possible! clown.gif

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 12:57 pm 
Slugman, are you bringing your radios? If so, what's a good channel for talking "trash" on Sunday morning?

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 1:01 pm 
Yeah, I can bring the walkey-talkeys. Prolly channel 9. Be sure to use trucker jargon at all times, it's like a rule or something. "Hey, good buddy, got your ears on? Come on back at me." That kind of thing. embarassedlaugh.gif All: I started a wiki thread for the social in the Saloon. You might consider posting there if you are coming.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 2:55 pm 
Me and Jared are camping in the Sloan Creek Campground friday night. I hope I can run into you guys. The hike to Goat Lake and back is probably too much for a 4 year old though.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 2:59 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Me and Jared are camping in the Sloan Creek Campground friday night. I hope I can run into you guys. The hike to Goat Lake and back is probably too much for a 4 year old though.
Huh? Four year olds are pure energy.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln