Forum Index > Partners > Few Eggs Short of an Omelet? Kennedy HS May 28th-31st
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue May 25, 2010 9:33 am 
Here's the plan. Park some where on FS27 on the White Chuck side of Rat trap pass. Maybe less that two miles of FS 27 will need to be walked, to FS 23. Then walk an additional 4.6 miles to Owl Creek CG. Depending on how brushy the road is, if time allows make a push to Kennedy HS with no expectation of actually reaching the intended destination. This could be an epic bushwhack, with no expectation of views. But as this is a 4 day trip, there is the option of snowshoeing out Via Meadow mtn. Sooo..if your a few eggs short of an omelet and this sounds like fun. Let me know.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue May 25, 2010 10:53 am 
27 views so far, no takers. I guess these people are gourmet breakfast cooks? clown.gif Brian, you know I'd be there if I didn't have other plans. Normally, I'd bail on other plans to do sumpin' like this, but - well. I ain't willin' to break these here plans - not even to do this trip which I've wanted to do for 7 years since the road/trail/mountainside/hotsprings washed away. Never in a million years (well, at least 7) would I think I'd say no to this trip offer. Good luck and if you get injured, make it so you die quickly, 'cause ain't nobody going to be back there to help you out, buddy. You might have to finish yourself off if you get only mediumly injured, so keep a rock handy.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue May 25, 2010 12:06 pm 
I thought the name of the place had been changed to Kennedy Tepid Microbe-Infested Springs. clown.gif I sat in it c. two decades ago. Had to wear a wool hat to keep the chill at bay. Has it heated up since?

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue May 25, 2010 12:13 pm 
It's disappeared since. It's now Kennedy Tepid Seeps.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue May 25, 2010 4:06 pm 
I'm tempted to go. up.gif I have to retrieve a broken down Subie from Mt. Vernon by Sat. so can't make any plans till that happens. Kennedy once upon a time was a great hike. Have the hot springs resurfaced?

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue May 25, 2010 8:13 pm 
If they have, they aren't bubbling up to be discovered and made into a hot-tub yet. Warm mineral springs are seeping from the hillside all over the place though. They always have, they're exposed now....
The is the site of the hot springs.  Note minderal seep on right slope
2 labels
The is the site of the hot springs. Note minderal seep on right slope
pic of hot springs site in 2006. (damn thing won't load correctly, sorry)Hulksmash oughta get some good pics this weekend for us. Go, Hulk! up.gif

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed May 26, 2010 12:02 am 
I'm wondering where the springs went unless they are under water now? There was a rip roaring amount of water gushing out of the ground in the box. I spent many hours simmering in the water. One time for over 10 hrs. in 15 degree weather in Feb.!....You did NOT want to get out. Here's a pic from way back when. I'm on the left. lol.gif
Kennedy Hot Springs  2/78
Kennedy Hot Springs 2/78

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 26, 2010 7:50 am 
GeoH, that's a great pic! Historical! I enjoyed the springs one cold, rainy evening after a day of logging out the trail in thunderstorms and hail/sleet. We sat in the cabin, warmed by the word burning stove, while one of the trailcrew read humorous stories aloud. She's an excellent reader, and the stories were great. After dinner, we wandered back to our tents and froze our 'nads off. But in '03, the mountainside where the developed springs were, was swept away - The seeps are still there, but back a little futher, where the mountainside actually is. They're probably all over the place. In the photo I posted are seeps exposed because the mountainside was ripped away in the floods. Kennedy HS was just a slimey burble back in the 1920s when it was discovered. Over time, folks just dug a hole and more seep seeped in. It would probably just take some dumb bastard's brawn and a shovel to create another pool, if a place could be found where the springs are converging. Here's an article on the history of Kennedy Hot Springs, written by Russ Hanby, a volunteer guy at the Information Desk at the Verlot Ranger station. In the book, Two Voices, stories of the Bedal sisters compiled and edited by Blukis Onat, the "new" Kennedy Hotsprings cabin is mentioned when the sisters took a "road trip" on their horses.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed May 26, 2010 8:37 am 
GeoHiker wrote:
I'm wondering where the springs went unless they are under water now?
The site of Kennedy Hot Springs is the large mud flow in the center of the map.
View Larger Map

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed May 26, 2010 11:58 am 
Hey Q...your latest linky is not working. Maybe it's my end, maybe it's not. All i get is a blank screen that says "done" on the bottom left hand corner of my browser. (Mozilla and IE)
Quote:
Kennedy HS was just a slimey burble back in the 1920s when it was discovered. Over time, folks just dug a hole and more seep seeped in.
See that's the thing. From what i can tell, (from second hand information) that after the flood, this is what the HS has returned to, just some warm seeps in the ground. Ever since i stumbled into a cache of hand tools, shovels, picks, bow saws, carpenters saw, in a stump cavity off of FS 23 i been curious. Was it surveyors tool? I don't know. Here's the other thing, in exploring back there i have also noticed the majority of the ATV traffic, has been headed for down FS23. What's the draw? I think the answer is obvious, the hot springs. Obviously an ATV could be used to transport tools to Owl Creek CG. Then packed into Kennedy. Could have some one already dug a hole in the ground for warm water to collect already? I'd bet it's a possibility. With few people willing to make the trek, it might just be no one has blabbed about it. Or not, it could be nothing has happened. The only way to find out, is to go.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 26, 2010 12:12 pm 
I doubt the warm springs are worth the hassle of 5 miles of hell to get back there (as you'll discover). I think the tool cache probably belonged to the environmental firm hired to do the NEPA survey for the road. ATV traffic is just folks tearin' around out there. Springs are probably bubbling up all over. They were before the floods, as well (remember the rainbow slicks in the sulphur-smelling creeklets sliding all over the lower campground?). Trouble is, the area near the river depicted in Schroder's googleearth post isn't soft mud - terra firma is buried underneat layers of boulders the size of cars. It's sorta like a big boulder field. The mudslide is silt, several feet thick (likely more). I'll try to figure out the link later, if I have time (packing tonight for my trip). I have the article saved on my computer at home - I'll be happy to send it to you via email! That goes for anyone else; PM me if you want it. It's a very good article, and well written. I sure would like to join you, simply cause of the nostalgia factor, and to see the power of nature. It'll scare the holy bejeezus out of you, when you see it. Gawd.

JimK

JimK
PostWed May 26, 2010 12:50 pm 
When I zoomed way in on Schroder's map I swear I can see a jacket sticking out of the muck.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed May 26, 2010 12:55 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
Hey Q...your latest linky is not working. Maybe it's my end, maybe it's not. All i get is a blank screen that says "done" on the bottom left hand corner of my browser. (Mozilla and IE)
The Times is having some temporary problems with their server

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 26, 2010 1:06 pm 
JimK wrote:
When I zoomed way in on Schroder's map I swear I can see a jacket sticking out of the muck.
Thass why I'm itchin' to get back there. I have a lot of stuff in that mud. A spork, a Moonstone Profusion jacket (last seen at the Kennedy Creek crossing right there in the picture), my brain. Some other stuff too, I'm sure of it. I don't miss my brain so much as that jacket. I looked good in it.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed May 26, 2010 2:08 pm 
I'm not getting anything on your link either. I'll try later. Interesting speculating on what's happening up there now. I've been wanting to get in there since the floods and see the carnage. My last time in there was I think 84. Hulk, do you have any beta on the trail? It was a freeway at one time, so there should be sections still there, but who knows how much of the valley was wiped out? I remember the water was gushing out from the side of the HS box, so wouldn't be surprised if people are tying to retap the spring. Baker HS, was blown up and destroyed and it only took a few years to revive. I'll be retrieving my Subaru on Sat. so wish you luck. Looking forward to your report and pics.