Forum Index > Partners > Few Eggs Short of an Omelet? Kennedy HS May 28th-31st
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu May 27, 2010 9:21 am 
Borank, the FS has always wanted to restore the Whitechuck. THat's why the Glacier View trail is flagged. But once it became clear there was going to be a lot of trouble dealing with the road issues, the trail issue was put on hold pending the road outcome - it's hard to go to bat for a trail if you don't know if there will be access. I'm going to keep my eyes and ears tuned to the MBSNF website; I have a pretty good feeling the Whitechuck area is next to be targeted by the Forest Service for restoration. After all the hard work obtaining funding (and retaining it - funding sources can be fickle), dealing with NEPA, red-tape, etc. on the Suiattle & Whitechuck roads and the PCT issues, they can now concentrate on the rest of the trails.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu May 27, 2010 10:18 am 
It's kind of neat to see that there are areas besides Sultan Basin where a few folks really know the nitty-gritty of the landscape and the land management. agree.gif Even if some of them are the same folks. doh.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu May 27, 2010 10:52 am 
Were on page 3 already. eek.gif Looks like I'm gonna be solo on this one guaranteed tongue.gif Prolly should have posted this earlier. Oh well...not a big deal to go solo for me any way.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu May 27, 2010 11:11 am 
Take lots of photos & good luck up.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu May 27, 2010 1:45 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
Prolly should have posted this earlier.
I don't think that's the problem. hmmm.gif The problem is the cockamamie plan to do sumpin' really odd and hard, and guaranteed that you'll get at least 4 divots gouged out of at least 6 different body parts. embarassedlaugh.gif Take care, and don't do anything stupid. Other than the trip, of course.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostThu May 27, 2010 3:16 pm 
Q is right, bring leather gloves and don't forget the safety glasses. Knee and elbow pads would come in handy too!......smile.gif Have fun.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostThu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm 
Bring a voice recorder for the really good parts up.gif

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri May 28, 2010 6:27 pm 
*FAIL* As usual i did not get a particularity early start. So it was almost 11:00 am by the time i reached FS27. As i headed toward rat trap pass i expected to encounter the excavator some where on the road. I got what i expected...still not in any particular rush i waited patiently. Eventually one of the construction workers wandered down and informed me that they were told to block of the road before the first crossing of Straight Creek. The road was to be reopened on Tuesday. huh.gif A quick guesstimate of the distance told me walking over rattrap pass was about double the distance to Crystal Creek CG than it was just walking around the washouts on White chuck road. I had a decision to make. Continue on with the extra mileage, or turn around and take FS 23. Well i chose FS23. I reached FS23 just after noon. I shouldered my pack and headed around the first washout. There's a few fresh blow downs, wet and slick. The boot path is muddy too. I slipped and fell in the mud 5 times getting around the first one. But when i reached the the second one, it was immediately apparent dropping down below it was not an option. The White Chuck is rain swollen and turbid. Even though the i only needed to cross the side channel, i was not comfortable attempting it due to the high water. Last summer i simply stepped across that side channel. frown.gif I dropped my pack to make scouting easier. Going straight up was not an option, too slick and muddy. I backtracked a up to the spur just before the second wash out. Knowing that the surveyors cut a crude path around it...but it also includes a creek crossing, with muddy banks. Sure enough....i slipped and fell in the creek. mad.gif Now soaked, i returned to where i dropped my pack, and made a retreat. Got back to the jeep around 3:30pm. Considered my options....Crank the heat hope i dry out, and try rattrap pass, possibly headlamping into Crystal Creek CG.Two..head home and reconvene with TOPO. Maybe return tomorrow with bicycle. Chose to head home.
FS 23 just beyond the first washout
FS 23 just beyond the first washout

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri May 28, 2010 8:26 pm 
Wow, that sucks Brian! Amazing to see how grown up 23 is now. Doesn't take long. I was thinking earlier as I watched the rain gauge go past 2 inches how nasty it must be in the mtns. today. I didn't know you were heading out today, you are really a glutton for punishment!...... hockeygrin.gif Time to buy some Stabilicers, they are gold in those kind of conditions. You can be thankful you didn't get too far in there and have it turn ugly on you. Good that you weren't hurt. up.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jun 01, 2010 11:18 am 
That first washout has gotten pretty bad in the last couple of years, hasn't it? It wasn't ever the easiest one in the first place, but now it's less fun that it wasn't before. You know what I mean. I'm sorry you didn't get the trip you wanted, Brian. Your time off is precious this summer. Hopefully you and I can get back there later...? I think you, me, and sometimes JimK are the only people on this site who don't make stand-alone omlettes, but together we might make one (albiet a very small one).

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Jun 01, 2010 11:41 am 
This one is a to be continued for sure. I don't think i'll have time in June....Probably have to wait until July. Hopefully Rattrap Pass will be reopened by then.