Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Do you think this site could be improved? Should it be?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Do you feel like this site could be improved? Should it be?
No, I think this site is fine just the way it is because:
55%
 55%  [ 20 ]
Yes, I think there could be improvements and those improvements are:
44%
 44%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 36

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jun 11, 2010 11:16 am 
I just added that feature, Tom, thanks. up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Jun 11, 2010 11:18 am 
I swap between internet 7, and google chrome. I suppose I should get a similar extension myself. wink.gif

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Jun 26, 2010 2:57 pm 
I find the search feature here very frustrating to use, but I'm probably doing it wrong. To my mind an "exact phrase" search should ONLY return threads that contain that exact combination of words in the order entered. For example, if I type in "Mary little lamb" I get every thread that has "mary", "little", and "lamb" in it as well as any with the whole phrase. Is there any way around that? Can that be fixed?

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat Jun 26, 2010 5:44 pm 
There might be some things that could be added to the search. Do you use the simple search or the advance search? I use the button on the advance search called "Title only" which helps. But I totally know what you mean. cool.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jun 26, 2010 7:45 pm 
Exact phrase option works just as you want. I just tested it and "mary little lamb" only returns this thread.

Luc

Luc
PostSun Jun 27, 2010 10:30 am 
Mabel a bit more than "yes it does work" would be helpful. One thing I don't like about the search is that I can't navigate away, then back to it. Might be a browser setting tho. I can with Clist - which is surely a simpler platform, but still it'd be nice. Here is a forum that offers an iPhone app: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1253913 Obviously they have more cash money, but really how hard would it be here? (really asking for avenues towards our asks rather than squashes, pls let us know how to help) ----pecked out on a mobile device

GNGSTR
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jun 27, 2010 12:15 pm 
What do you want me to say other than the exact phrase search option works just like he wants? Click on search, enter the phrase "mary little lamb", leave the default option selected to search by exact phrase and hit submit. It only returns this thread, not threads with mary or little or lamb unless they have a post with the exact phrase. confused.gif The navigate back / page expired issue seems to be browser related. Edit: I just tested it in firefox doing a search on "testing 123" and I don't get a page expired when I hit page back after clicking on a result. IE exhibits the problem. Opera mini doesn't on my blackberry. Not sure about the iphone browser but you can test it. If your browser is misbehaving, you can open stuff in a new window or tab to get around the issue. If you forget and get a page expired message you can usually hit refresh to recover the page. The new version of phpbb lets you search within search results which should help narrow down results when you get too many. I have no problem pecking anything out on my blackberry. Sorry the iphone keyboard sucks but a nwhikers specific iphone app isn't going to help you there. I'm sure we can add a mobile theme when we upgrade to phpbb3. As I've said earlier, the earliest this would happen would be late fall.

iron

iron
PostSun Jun 27, 2010 10:25 pm 
not sure if possible or practical, but what about the idea of being able to "watch this user for posts" similar to the "watch this topic for replies" option? you could select certain members to follow in case you miss something they post (mainly trip report related, but it could apply to other things). maybe there could be an option to follow the user for new posts only, and also give the options to select which forum (trail talk, partners, etc.)

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jun 28, 2010 12:54 am 
That would probably fall under one of the RSS feeds. On the flipside, how about a default ignore user feature that requires opt in to see posts and threads created by attention seeking posters? hockeygrin.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 01, 2010 8:26 am 
How about banning video spam in signatures (or avatars for that matter)? See Eric the Red's signature to see what I mean. Allow this, and suddenly this website is a commercial free-for-all. It's the end of the world, my friends. frown.gif

iron

iron
PostThu Aug 26, 2010 1:37 pm 
how about removing the confirmation page when deleting a PM? if i deliberately click to delete something, i would ideally like it to happen without confirmation, like all email programs.

iron

iron
PostThu Aug 26, 2010 2:31 pm 
pretty sure. click.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Aug 27, 2010 2:08 pm 
I actually like the confirmation. I have one of those optical mice, and sometimes it causes the cursor to jump at random. So I'll be about to click on some link on a website, but just as I click, the cursor jumps to the corner and closes the page. mad.gif So I set up my Firefox to always ask if I wanted to close the page. So the confirmation box iron is talking about is like a built-in example of this on the website. It may be useless 99.9% of the time, like a spare tire in a car's trunk, but when you need it, it is vital.

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostSun Aug 29, 2010 2:31 pm 
Something that would be a nice add-on to a Trip Report would be a box you would have to check so we would know the location of the trail. For example if you hike to Snow Lake you would click on the box for "Central Cascades". If you hiked to Yellow Aster Butte you would click on "North Cascades". Sometimes I see a trail report and I read it but have no idea where it is or there are many trails with the same name or destination name. So when you go on Trip Reports you would see the Title as (e.g.): "Hidden Lake Lookout (NC)" "Blanca Lake - 2/1/08 (CC)" "Going Monkey in the Ape Caves (SC)" "Deer Lake Backpack (OP)" "Spray Falls (MR)" So basically: CN - Canada NC - North Cascades CC - Central Cascades SR - Snoqualmie Region MR - Mount Rainier SC - South Cascades OP - Olympic Peninsula EW - Eastern Washington OR - Oregon CA - California MT- Montana ID- Idaho O - Other When you browse for Trip Reports you could easily pick out the region that interests you or when you do a search you could narrow down the results to a particular region instead of getting trip reports from all over the place and going through each one-by-one to seek what you are looking for.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Aug 29, 2010 8:16 pm 
Tony you made some good points. However...If there was such a feature i would likely filter out places like South Cascades, or MR Nat park...simply because it is so far out of my roaming area. In this case i would miss out on some good trip reports. But there already is a way to provide location information on this site...it is new though. There is a Gmap button on the posting screen.
Gmap button
Gmap button
Now i know not every one uses a GPS. They are becoming more common though. Frankly i don't buy the i cant afford one argument. You don't need the most expensive one. For those using green trail maps...by the time you add up it all up if you buy a lot of maps...an inexpensive GPS will be less expensive in the long run. It simply requires people to use the button. Here's an example Copper Lake there's like 5 of them in this state. By providing a map it's easy to quickly see which Copper Lake.
View larger size in new window

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential