Forum Index > Partners > Wonderland trail partner, 8/3 to 8/13
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jimbobrian15

jimbobrian15
PostSat May 29, 2010 11:02 am 
Looking for partner(s) for a Rainier Wonderland trek. It is 93 miles and 21,000' gain/loss, so experience with multiday trips would be good. The itinerary is a moderate 11 days, counterclockwise from Sunrise with one layover day at Golden Lakes. It starts moderate to Mowich Lk, then a couple long days after Golden Lakes, then a nice cruise back into Sunrise. This has been on my bucket list. It's hard to find a partner with enough vacation time, but people tell me it's good to have a partner on this hike.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat May 29, 2010 1:34 pm 
If I'm not doing the John Muir Trail during that time I would be interested.

ADAHY

ADAHY
PostSat May 29, 2010 9:41 pm 
Jimbo, interests are identical. Will have five weeks off including August, this has sort of been on my list also. Thing is I have done portions of this hike already,but would be willing to start it out with you for three to five day's. Late august may include Wind River which is at or near the top of my list. Could make it maybe 8/3-8/7. Tue-Sat. Mowich down to Rampart ridge, possibly Louise Lake. How beautiful is this side of the mountain? Have you heard?

" The price of freedom is eternal vigilance".
jimbobrian15

jimbobrian15
PostSun May 30, 2010 10:35 am 
From Sunrise to Mowich, I'm going through Spray Park, which should be amazing if the weather is right. The west side from Mowich to Longmire is supposed to have more solitude now that the westside road is closed. The flowers should be peaking. Mosquitoes like the west side too. dizzy.gif The west side covers four or five of the 10 major ridge climbs, so it's a more challenging section, but the scenery, history, and geology are supposed to be great.

ADAHY

ADAHY
PostSun May 30, 2010 12:25 pm 
The solitude sounds great, and this hike is sounding better the more I think about it. How confident are you that you will make it barring any of lifes avalanches? Klapatche Park and Indian Henry's Hunting ground are all I've ever heard much talk about on the West side.

" The price of freedom is eternal vigilance".
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostWed Jun 02, 2010 7:39 pm 
I did almost identical dates to yours a couple years ago...is there any particular reason why you're staying 2 nights at Golden Lakes versus staying 2 nights at Klapatche? The skeeters were horrendous at GLs (by far the worst out of all of the camps, Mystic coming in at 2nd place), snow was still melting out and I'm positive it will be similar this year. Klapatche OTOH, is my favorite campsite along the Wonderland (done it twice now)...and there's an opportunity to walk-up a bump and explore much more than at Golden Lakes (BTW, the lake closest to the cabin / camp area is not that exceptional). Here's my 2008 report, if you're interested. You'll have an amazing time, regardless, but just thought I'd chime in. Also, it took me 3 times before I got great weather at Spray Park...and the 3rd time was a dayhike and not while doing the Wonderland. smile.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Jun 02, 2010 9:51 pm 
GET A HEADNET OR YOUR GONNA DIE!!!!!..that said now, can others chime in on the wonderland trail info....thanks! I used to work at paradise inn and didn't do much hiking while working there, well no overnights anyway........ how are you making reservations ahead of time/ difficulty?.....leaddog has some good x-c areas, one where he seen a squatch....

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostThu Jun 03, 2010 8:50 am 
gnomie...can't do x-c camps if you're doing the whole Wonderland...tried that in 2008 and was surprised to learn that the rangers make you stay in the designated Wonderland camps in you're doin' the loop.

jimbobrian15

jimbobrian15
PostSat Jun 05, 2010 12:33 pm 
Regarding two nights at GL vs Klapatche - Good feedback. I may try to change it to Klapatche. I read a blog where someone described exploring around Golden Lakes, but also read how nice Klapatche is. And, Klapatche may be a better place for rest and exploration. Regarding confidence in making it, I'm feeling good. I've been doing 50-milers with a scout troop for 10 years (as adult). One was 67 miles and another was 74. Two at Philmont New Mexico, two at Yellowstone, Olympics, Oregon Three Sisters, North Cascades, Idaho. I know how I feel after 5 or 8 or 10 days on the trail. I've done regular training, go to the gym, hike once or twice a week. I've lightened up my gear, replacing older and heavier stuff. The scouts are doing a four-day hike this year instead of a 50-miler, so I have some extra time. I'm also active in the Mountaineers and feel comfortable navigating thru snow and fog. I think I'm ready for whatever the mountain throws at me. At the same time, I'm an older guy, my knees are creaky and Rainier absorbs rain clouds like a sponge. Regarding reservations, I submitted three itineraries when they opened on March 15th and heard back in early April. They booked one of my alternate itineraries and changed it a little. It would be almost impossible to book an entire Wonderland trip for July to September at this point. They keep some for walk-in booking, and day-hikers or weekday hikers can usually get something via walk-in.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostSat Jun 05, 2010 1:03 pm 
You could explore in the meadows before Golden Lakes, I suppose. But camp-wise, I'd much rather have a view of this (Klapatche)
IMG_0889.JPG
IMG_0889.JPG
IMG_0880.JPG
IMG_0880.JPG
Versus this:
IMG_0974.JPG
IMG_0974.JPG
(View from the best campsite at Golden Lakes.) Also, FWIW, most of the Wonderland camps do not have direct views of Rainier from camp. Many are set away from fragile areas. Klapatche is rare in that you only have to walk hundreds of feet to be in a nice subalpine meadow. Also, note that the lake (Aurora) in my photos (at Klapatche) generally dries up by the end of August (it was just mud the first time I did the Wonderland in late Aug). And you will definitely want to filter from this lake.

jimbobrian15

jimbobrian15
PostMon Jun 07, 2010 6:34 pm 
wamtngal wrote:
Here's my 2008 report, if you're interested.
Great post from the past, keeping me motivated. I'm also dehydrating my own foods after getting an Excalibur 9-tray for Christmas. It's the sodium in commercial foods that kills me. Electolytes are good, but 2,000 Mg per pack? I can do better and tastier! But wow, bears, porcupines, and all the flowers! I'll have to do a trip report when I'm back.

DrakeBrimstone

DrakeBrimstone
PostTue Jul 06, 2010 10:04 am 
I may be interested in joining you from Mowich to Longmire, I might be able to join you from Sunrise depending on what I can con my boss into. I have to check the vacation calendar at work before I can commit to anything. Mowich to Longmire is the only section I haven't done yet but I loved the Spray Park area and wouldn't mind doing that again. In 2008 I hiked counterclockwise from Longmire to Mowich, was intending to complete it but the rangers were turning people away from the South Mowich River crossing do to a washed out bridge and unusually high water levels due to recent rain. That was a 15 day itinerary, it took 10 days to reach Mowich Lake, with the intention of reaching South Mowich that day. I don't normally hike as long of days as you seem to be suggesting, it would help if I knew a bit more about your itinerary to know if I can handle it. I prefer around 6-8 mile days for moderate to high elevation gain days, I can handle 12 mile days as long as they aren't back to back. haven't tested myself on anything longer as of yet, and the last time I did those I had heavier equipment.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 8:59 pm 
Solo is fine on this trail....you'll run across plenty of people. Don't let the possible lack of a partner deter you from going.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
jimbobrian15

jimbobrian15
PostFri Jul 16, 2010 8:50 am 
DrakeBrimstone wrote:
I may be interested in joining you from Mowich to Longmire, I might be able to join you from Sunrise depending on what I can con my boss into. I have to check the vacation calendar at work before I can commit to anything. I don't normally hike as long of days as you seem to be suggesting, it would help if I knew a bit more about your itinerary to know if I can handle it. I prefer around 6-8 mile days for moderate to high elevation gain days, I can handle 12 mile days as long as they aren't back to back. haven't tested myself on anything longer as of yet, and the last time I did those I had heavier equipment.
My itinerary from Mowich to Longmire may be the toughest part of the hike, in both distance and elevation change,. Here is the itinerary counterclockwise from Sunrise. I called to change two nights at Golden Lks to two nights at Klapatche, but they are all booked. My next chance to change it is morning of 8/3 when I start the hike: Start 8/3 Sunrise to Mystic. Pick up permit by 10:00. 8.8 miles 8/4 Cataract , 6.9 miles 8/5 Mowich Lk Walk In , 6.5 miles 8/6 Golden Lks , 10 miles 8/7 Golden Lks Extra Day 8/8 Klapatche Park , 7.7 miles 8/9 Pyramid Creek , 12.4 miles 8/10 Maple Creek , (to Longmire is 3.7 miles, to Maple Creek, almost 14) 8/11 Indian Bar , 9.9 miles 8/12 Summerland , 4.4 miles 8/13 Return to Sunrise , 9.7 miles Two days are long, the 8/9 to Pyramid is about 12 miles and the 8/10 to Maple Creek is about 14 miles. I think the 8/9-Pyramid day has the most elevation change, up and down and up and down, maybe about 3 or 4,000 feet total that day.

DrakeBrimstone

DrakeBrimstone
PostFri Jul 16, 2010 10:24 am 
I'll talk to my boss today and see if he can give me the 5th-10th off. I'll let you know as soon as he tells me.