Forum Index > Trip Reports > May 31 2010 Navaho Peak 7223' NE Slope Ski
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Jun 01, 2010 5:15 pm 
I met up with donb, Randy, and Andy for a fine daytrip in the hills with much less rainy weather than expected. The important stuff: The Stafford Creek Road is open to the Stafford Creek Trailhead at 3100 feet. We hiked with the skis on our backs for about 3.5 miles to the creek that drains the saddle between Navaho Peak and Little Navaho at 4800 ft. After crossing the creek we headed directly north uphill toward the top of Navaho Peak, putting the skis on at 5500 feet. Snow on the south side was pleasantly firm on the ascent.
Skis on
Skis on
Little Navaho behind
Little Navaho behind
SW ridge
SW ridge
Randy at top
Randy at top
Mad Men
Mad Men
Rain started pretty good at the summit where we were met with BigSteve and company. They headed back SW on the descent, we wanted to ski the NE Slope. From 7200 feet down to about 6000 feet on the north side the new snow from the past few weeks had settled into 6 inches or more of coarse grained wet snow. Though a bit heavy it was consistent and turnable. Below 6000 feet ski penetration was reduced to 3 or 4 inches or less, improving as we went.
Randy gets us going
Randy gets us going
Top third
Top third
Randy cruising to the bottom
Randy cruising to the bottom
Andy moving fast
Andy moving fast
Andy dropping low old school
Andy dropping low old school
Andy with Three Brothers
Andy with Three Brothers
Randy 4
Randy 4
Don
Don
The boys
The boys
At the bottom of the NE slope we turned SE and climbed to the Falls Creek/Negro Creek divide. From there it was a slight descent before we could turn a corner, traverse some rocks, and climb up to the Little Navaho Saddle at 6000 feet.
Returning up Falls Creek
Returning up Falls Creek
Little Navaho sorth slope
Little Navaho sorth slope
Don with Three Brothers behind
Don with Three Brothers behind
Running out of snow
Running out of snow
Little Navaho Saddle
Little Navaho Saddle
Don, Last Run
Don, Last Run
One last final west facing run opened up below us skiing to 5100 feet before running out of snow. A quick boot descent brought us back to the trail at the creek crossing of the morning. Stafford Creeek Trail is a pleasant low gradient frolick out to the TH. It had been far too long since Randy Don and I had done a trip together. It was great to be out with "the boys" again!

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostTue Jun 01, 2010 10:18 pm 
Thx for the report! I'll try to ski that next year. Any guess as to how much longer there will be decent coverage assuming continuing cool weather? 1 week? 2 weeks?

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue Jun 01, 2010 10:36 pm 
It doesn't look like too much snow has melted from last week. Freedom Peak (Little Navaho) is a rewarding little climb up. I actually found it more fun that the big summit of Navaho. Awesome trip and it looks like you had some great runs. up.gif up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Jun 02, 2010 6:28 am 
chiwakum wrote:
Thx for the report! I'll try to ski that next year. Any guess as to how much longer there will be decent coverage assuming continuing cool weather? 1 week? 2 weeks?
Hi Chiwakum, South sides are already getting bony that far east, but if you don't mind hiking then the NE slope will have full coverage for at least another week. Much more of the approach to the south is skiing in the early part of May when the Stafford Road first melts out. And I agree with East King, slow is melting much slower than usual with all this cool, cloudy weather. Rain melts snow much slower than hot sun it seems. John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jun 02, 2010 8:46 am 
Groovy! up.gif up.gif Fun hangin' out with you guys for a few stormy minutes on the summit. You guys did a great loop tour. FTR, we skied down the SW ridge then across the flattish terrain in upper SC basin then down a rib (the N flank of which was holding snow) to the trail stream crossing at c. 5000'. We booted from there. It was melting out fast, and that descent will not go this weekend.

Mtn Man
Snow addict

Mtn Man
Snow addict
PostWed Jun 02, 2010 4:21 pm 
Nice TR! I'll have to get out there next time with you guys. Two weeks off from touring is too long! The knee is feeling good and ready to rock! biggrin.gif B)

Mmmmm, backcountry...
ONELUV1

ONELUV1
PostFri Jun 04, 2010 11:11 am 
glasses
Did you happen to find a black pair of Smith sunglasses at the TH? I was up there w/ EK and crew, the week before....fingers crossed.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Jun 04, 2010 12:25 pm 
Re: glasses
ONELUV1 wrote:
Did you happen to find a black pair of Smith sunglasses at the TH? I was up there w/ EK and crew, the week before....fingers crossed.
I did not, myself, but maybe another in the group did. J