Forum Index > Trip Reports > Radar Hill/ Old Cowan Point Fire Lookout 5/29/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostTue Jun 01, 2010 5:57 pm 
I headed down Friday evening to visit my parents on the Washington Coast for the weekend. There are no big mountains in the area, just the Willapa Hills which I ran up and down as a kid. The only summit that was on my list for the weekend was Saddle Mountain in Oregon, which I planned to go up on Sunday morning. I figured it would be fun to go up, even if the weather conditions were poor. The forecast for the coast looked real nasty, but Sunday was “Suppose” to be the better day. However, as Saturday rolled around it turned into a beautiful day. So I got a wild hair to head somewhere high with views. One of the highest points in the area is Radar Hill with the Cowan Point Lookout as the true summit. I love the spot because on a clear day it offers a panoramic view of the Naselle Valley, Columbia River and the Pacific Coastline. So I talked my parents and 4 year old son into going. I figured I could get some catching up AND a summit into the mix. We left the house and headed down 101. At Johnson’s Landing it turns into Highway 4 heading toward the small town called Naselle. Just before we got into Naselle, we took a left at the Naselle Youth Camp. This was once the old building used by the Air Force back in the 60’s. The locals call the ridge “Radar Hill”, because it was a fully manned Aircraft Control Warning (AC&W) operation by the U.S. Air Force in the late 50’s and early 60’s. There were once massive Radar Domes on the summit, but what remains are just large concrete foundations. The thing I enjoy about Radar Hill is all the game trails you can follow in the woods. I also love the large rock outcroppings that it has.
Cool Rock Outcropping On Radar Hill
Cool Rock Outcropping On Radar Hill
Cool Rock Outcropping on Radar Hill
Cool Rock Outcropping on Radar Hill
There are not too many highpoints in the area that have rock features like Radar Hill, which makes it a unique summit. From highway 4 and the Youth Camp, we drove up the gravel logging road 7 miles to Radar Hill.
4' x 6' x 5' Boulder Fell In The Road... Ouch!!!
4' x 6' x 5' Boulder Fell In The Road... Ouch!!!
Along the way I saw two Black Bears, Elk, Ruffed Grouse and lots of other smaller animals and birds.
Bull Elk feeding next to the water
Bull Elk feeding next to the water
Herd Of Elk Cooling Off
Herd Of Elk Cooling Off
We didn’t see anyone the whole trip. It was fun to bring my parents along, because it had been years since they last were up there. My family settled on the coast in the 1800's and I'm forth generation from the area. I'm always stoked to hear all the stories.
Rock Outcropping On Radar Hill And Naselle River Below
Rock Outcropping On Radar Hill And Naselle River Below
From the Ridge, I parked and climbed up the highpoint rock on Radar Hill. The views are the best around. You can see clear into Seaside, OR, Willapa Bay, Pacific Coastline and all the other highpoints around. The visibility was a bit cloudy, but on a clear day the views are even better.
Looking Toward Willapa Bay From Radar Hill
Looking Toward Willapa Bay From Radar Hill
Looking Toward The Long Beach Peninsula And Willapa Bay From Radar Hill
Looking Toward The Long Beach Peninsula And Willapa Bay From Radar Hill
Looking South From A Rock Outcropping On Radar Hill
Looking South From A Rock Outcropping On Radar Hill
Looking Toward The Columbia River
Looking Toward The Columbia River
Looking Toward The Mouth Of The Naselle River and Willapa Bay
Looking Toward The Mouth Of The Naselle River and Willapa Bay
On Top Of Radar Hill Highpoint
On Top Of Radar Hill Highpoint
From here we drove as close as we could to the Cowan Point Lookout. We then parked and hiked an old mossy road with overgrown branches from Sitka trees. There were a lot of down trees from the big 2007 wind storm. Radar Hill is known for some of the highest winds in the state of Washington. Winds have been clocked as high as 160 MPH. The old lookout was established in 1947 with a 20' wooden L-4 tower. It has been told that it was burnt down by accident; obviously the fire watcher wasn’t doing his job. A 20' wooden tower with L-4 cab replaced the old one around1953. It was then abandoned in 1967. All that remains are some concrete pads and a pile of lumber. My guess is the lumber is from the lookout structure. In the woods just a bit is an old outhouse used by the firewatchers. You could feel the history in the air.
Old Outhouse At Cowan Point Lookout
Old Outhouse At Cowan Point Lookout
There are two locations that could be the true summit; one is a small rock poking out of the forest duff. The other is a larger boulder poking out about 20 feet. The two highpoints are within 60 feet of each other surrounded by brush.
Cowan Point Lookout Summit
Cowan Point Lookout Summit
If you're ever in the area, it’s a beautiful drive with amazing views. There are also two small lakes lower down from the summit. They are filled with brook and rainbow trout. Lots of meandering trails can be found around the lakes. It was a beautiful evening with my family. We headed home for dinner and I packed my gear for a stormy pacific coast storm on the summit of Saddle Mountain in the morning.
Small Spring
Small Spring
Mossy Forest
Mossy Forest
Monkey Flower
Monkey Flower

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Jun 01, 2010 7:10 pm 
Nice photos. While you were there, I was on Walville Peak. Did you see me waving? wave.gif Eric Noel recently told me that Pacific County might soon put wind towers on Radar Hill. Did you see any evidence of that?

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue Jun 01, 2010 7:57 pm 
Yeah there is a test tower at the ridgeline junction where the overgrown road to the lookout starts. I believe that I read something in the paper where one of the backers of the wind turbine project (Grays Harbor PUD) took a pass but it was unclear if the other folks were going to still try to build it. With the trees having grown up and the lookout tower having burnt down there aren't really any views to be had at the HP where the LO was. But Radar Hill does have quite expansive views. I never would have guessed this one would ever see a NWHikers TR.

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostTue Jun 01, 2010 9:28 pm 
Thanks Redwic!!! The wind farm is the talk of the town, however the marbled murrelets are costing millions in engineering and permitting costs. No construction has started and there are no approved permits in place. No green light yet, and maybe never. We will see. I think I saw you waving though... smile.gif Eric- I guess I'm glad I could surprise you. I have seen stranger reports on here. Um ya..... Lol. My family has lived in the area for over 100 years, and I moved away when I turned 20... Sometimes I just miss the area I guess. I spent most all of my childhood in those hills. What would have been really surprising is if you would have posted this... smile.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jun 01, 2010 10:35 pm 
Thanks for the history and nostalgia Beau. up.gif up.gif

strider

strider
PostWed Jun 02, 2010 3:40 pm 
There's a metallic oriented ground suck vortex on the road to Radar Hill. Given the right atmosphereic / weather conditions, vehicles will roll uphill. It only happens when the road is dry, but it's always there given that one condition. If the road is wet, there's either too much roadstick for the vehicles' wheels to overcome gravity and break free, or perhaps the vortex is affected by humidity. Vehicles just sit there when the weather is wet. Before you ask, the level of intoxication has no bearing or effect on the phenomenon. Drive up the hill a couple miles. You will crest a rise and see a quarter mile long straight stretch that drops gently down into a dip, then climbs up and into a right hand curve. Go about halfway down the hill. Stop, shut off the motor, and let go of the brake. You'll win bets with this one. I have, many times. Never had to pay.

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostThu Jun 03, 2010 8:27 am 
Magellan- no prob!!! There's a lot of sweet little gems in that area as far as beautiful scenery, seclusion and history. Strider- that's great to know especially if I need to make some extra cash... I've heard tales of such events, never have had a chance to experience though... Don't tell too many people, last thing we need is the next mythbusters filmed up in the area!!! smile.gif