Forum Index > Trail Talk > Kanaskat-Palmer State Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
veronika

veronika
PostThu Jun 03, 2010 11:10 pm 
Just received an invite for a weekend tent camping at Kanaskat-Palmer Labor Day weekend (Sept 3-6). Been there plenty of times in an RV with ex and family and once in a tent with kids... never any exploring or hiking. Anyone know if there is some GOOD hiking in that area. I don't mean nature trails with no elevation gain, I mean real GOOD hiking or trekking. Any input would be great so I can make my decicion. Thanks!

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sourstraw

Sourstraw
PostFri Jun 04, 2010 8:08 am 
Hiker in training wrote:
Just received an invite for a weekend tent camping at Kanaskat-Palmer Labor Day weekend (Sept 3-6). Been there plenty of times in an RV with ex and family and once in a tent with kids... never any exploring or hiking. Anyone know if there is some GOOD hiking in that area. I don't mean nature trails with no elevation gain, I mean real GOOD hiking or trekking. Any input would be great so I can make my decicion. Thanks!
Norse Peak Trail is semi-nearby ... a few miles up the Crystal Mtn. road up 410 ... maybe 30 min. from the park. It's about 5 miles to the summit of Norse Peak ... probably still quite a bit of snow, but spectacular views of Rainier, etc... if the weather is good. Also, you could always head into the White River campground area at Rainier and hike up to Glacier Basin ... one of my favorite hikes ever. Hike beyond Glacier Basin to "Yellow Hill" to see the start of the climbing route up the inter glacier towards Rainier. I've also seen many bears on this particular hike. Ok, so they aren't really close to Kanaskat Palmer ... but semi close. Also, I'm good friends with both the rangers there .. I am sure that both of them would have good recommendations for you.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jun 04, 2010 9:55 am 
I don't think you're going to have to worry about leftover snow on Norse peak in September. embarassedlaugh.gif Basically your good hiking options in that area will be up Highway 410 from Enumclaw. There are lots of good ones up there, like Noble Knob, and of course you're almost to Rainer at that point, so you could go in the back door route to Grand park. This is nice because it's right on the northern border of the park so it's close by, and there's no fee to pay. I like Kanasket-Palmer because of the nice swimming area in the Green river. The one that is at the end of the parking lots if you turn right when you come in. If you stay to the edge, you can float, and in the middle you can swim in place against the current.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Jun 04, 2010 10:13 am 
Probably Green River Gorge Sate Park and Conservation Area. It's close. Also check Flaming Gyser State Park. Good Luck. up.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Sourstraw

Sourstraw
PostFri Jun 04, 2010 10:21 am 
[quote="Slugman"]I don't think you're going to have to worry about leftover snow on Norse peak in September. embarassedlaugh.gif [\quote] Ooops apparently I didn't notice this was a September hiking trip. Yeah, no snow on Norse Peak in september. It is a really nice hike too!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Jun 05, 2010 4:14 pm 
KP SP is pretty close to civilization! You are only minutes from the 'Claw, Black Diamond and even Maple Valley. There is of course tons and tons of good hiking up 410. You won't get bored - you have NF lands aplenty and of course Sunrise at Rainier.....heck, the back door entrance to Grand Park is up that way wink.gif But near KP? Not so much.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
snowhat

snowhat
PostSat Jun 05, 2010 7:27 pm 
How about Mt. McDonald? It's just down the street. Never done it in the summer though...much more interesting as a snowshoe. http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/550655/mcdonald-mountain.html Sugarloaf is another....but as the link says no public access... http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/waterandland/natural-lands/working-resource-lands/sugarloaf-mountain.aspx

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Jun 05, 2010 8:41 pm 
Crystal Peak and Lakes are nearby on 410.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Jun 06, 2010 8:41 am 
Mud Mountain Dam has an easy nature trail and Rim Trail which you don't want but works in a pinch. http://www.experiencewa.com/attraction.aspx?id=7080

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Jun 06, 2010 10:19 am 
HiT, Here you go. http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/403636/Pinnacle-Peak-Mount-Peak-or-Mount-Pete-.html

veronika

veronika
PostSun Jun 06, 2010 10:28 pm 
Those are alot of great suggestions. I think I might just go!

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.