Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Pilchuck Summit Update 6.3.10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostFri Jun 04, 2010 3:28 pm 
Well, Well, Well… A little break in the Westside Weather!!! I was tortured at work all day Thursday with the beautiful partly sunny skies teasing me. When I grabbed a bite to eat at lunch, I looked up at the clear skies around Mt Pilchuck and I got a great idea. I’m gonna go up there after work. The only times that I’ve been up on Pilchuck; it’s been a great big fogged in show. So I headed home after work, grabbed the gear I needed and raced to the trailhead. Apparently there is evening traffic in Granite Falls, so I tightly gripped the wheel and gritted my teeth. Made it through all that mess and was soon at the trailhead. There were two cars in the parking lot. I talked to one guy and he didn’t go up to the lookout. He said it was pretty slippery and he wasn’t planning on going all the way up. I smiled, got my gear on, swatted a million bugs and headed up. It was about 6:45pm when I left my truck. I made good time through the timber and enjoyed some quick views through the trees.
Mt Constitution And Lummi Island On The Horizon
Mt Constitution And Lummi Island On The Horizon
Three Fingers, Big Bear and Liberty Mountain
Three Fingers, Big Bear and Liberty Mountain
I ran into the second guy coming down. He said it was real slippery and he didn’t have crampons or anything so he didn’t make it to the lookout. I think maybe he thought I was a bit crazy leaving so late. However, I knew my turn back time and I was well prepared with the proper gear. I continued the ascent and hit snow at about 4,100’. I probably didn’t need to, but I put crampons on here just to be safe. The snow was consolidated, with about 2 inches of slush on top. Below the slush was a very solid and slippery base, which would slow down my time with just boots.
Signs Of Melt
Signs Of Melt
You Can See The Sun Is Still A Bit High In The Clouds
You Can See The Sun Is Still A Bit High In The Clouds
Whale Fin Rock
Whale Fin Rock
I continued to run up the hill. The views started to become amazing as the evening sun glowed upon the Puget Sound.
Puget Sound Sunset
Puget Sound Sunset
Gold Reflections Over The Sound
Gold Reflections Over The Sound
It felt so amazing to be up there in the evening. The weather was perfect and I had the whole mountain to myself. Once I got into the big snow bowl, I headed straight up the winter route. It was a fun way to go. Once I got to the ridge, there was about 40 feet of scrambling around trees and boulders on a steep incline. Some mountain hemlocks made great belays as usual. The snow is starting to melt and separate from the rocks, so be careful falling through. I was able to navigate around with no breakthroughs. That was nice.
Views From The Ridge
Views From The Ridge
Boot Path In The Bowl
Boot Path In The Bowl
Once I started up the ridge I skirted around some large boulders here and there. I came to the point were you could take a left out toward some cornices with a large cliff or take a right over some large boulders.
Cornice
Cornice
I chose the boulders and it was a safe pain in the rear. I just wasn’t sure about the cornices. Hikers have been going that way, but I wasn’t going to take the chance. The boulders were fun, but lame on making good time. I finally made it to the lookout at 8:30pm.
Cheesing
Cheesing
Melted Out Lookout
Melted Out Lookout
The sun was starting to show off some breathtaking colors. Three Fingers, Baker and Glacier were looking sick as usual. Cloud cover was starting to come in from the southwest, but everywhere else was on fire with views. I hung out for awhile taking pictures, eating cashews and just soaking in the goodness.
Summit Views
Summit Views
Glacier On The Horizon
Glacier On The Horizon
Whitehorse, Three Fingers and Big Bear mountain
Whitehorse, Three Fingers and Big Bear mountain
Mt Baker
Mt Baker
Whitehorse And Three Fingers With Pink Sky And Clouds
Whitehorse And Three Fingers With Pink Sky And Clouds
From the summit of Mt Pilchuck
From the summit of Mt Pilchuck
When I was at the lookout, I scoped out the cornice on the north face. I could see a tight line hugged against the small trees and boulders that I could take down the ridge. It looked safe and would be quicker than the way I came up. I went for it and it was easy as pie. Then it was a descent from the ridge with a couple quick, rough glissades in the burning red sunset.
Pink Horizon
Pink Horizon
Pink Sky To The West
Pink Sky To The West
The Last Bits Of Color
The Last Bits Of Color
Ran the solid snow down into the timber and it was a headlamp show through the woods back to the truck. I took about an hour to get back to my rig from the lookout. Once back at my rig the bugs had fallen asleep and the rain started to come down. What a great evening before a weekend full of busy trails!!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Aligeo

Aligeo
PostFri Jun 04, 2010 4:11 pm 
Thanks for the update on the conditions! Looks like a great trip.

And the end of all our searching shall be to return to the place where we started and know it for the first time. - T.S. Eliot
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostFri Jun 04, 2010 4:13 pm 
Nice sunset pics! cool.gif up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Jun 05, 2010 1:07 am 
Posing is a great shot - good composition.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jun 05, 2010 1:28 am 
Great pictures! I always have wanted to be up there for a sunset, I need to do that or even spend the night. I have always wanted to go up there for the 4th of July evening, maybe this year.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
peltoms

peltoms
PostSat Jun 05, 2010 4:03 am 
Nice shots, great trip to get something like that when you were not expecting it. The TR is perfect as it reads fast just as the trip was. up.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Jun 05, 2010 8:13 am 
fantastic.......great place to chill after work! wonderful views indeed up.gif i, too, love the posing photo. i wonder why hmmm.gif see my profile photo! biggrin.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostSun Jun 06, 2010 11:37 pm 
Thanks for the comments you guys. smile.gif bcfc53- nice profile pic, looks warm!!!

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostMon Jun 07, 2010 8:30 am 
What a cool trip! You got some great shots! I still have yet to get up there.

jimbobrian15

jimbobrian15
PostMon Jun 07, 2010 11:37 am 
You prompted me to go up on Sunday. I hit snow after only about a mile and put on Yak-Trax. There was some postholing after crossing the saddle and across the rocky slope toward the lookout, because snow was melting out around rocks and trees. Watch your footing there. If June stays cool, it may be a while before the snow melts out, but at the moment, it's nice to climb straight up the northern bowl on snow that somewhat firm, but just soft enough to have decent traction without crampons. It looked very different than your Friday pics. [View from Pilchuck in the clouds and rain]http://lh3.ggpht.com/__E5FygrP1Vw/TA067HuVHvI/AAAAAAAADY4/BK8B15TTBQk/IMG00038.jpg?imgmax=800[/img] =IMG00038.jpg

jimbobrian15

jimbobrian15
PostMon Jun 07, 2010 11:41 am 
First attempt to post a picture and This should work.
View from Pilchuck in clouds and rain.
View from Pilchuck in clouds and rain.