Forum Index > Trip Reports > Spring Break Part 4: Table Mtn. 6,265' 05.12.10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 4:36 pm 
Next stop on our spring break was Table Mtn., a peak @ the west end of the Catalina Mtns. north of Tucson. This peak had evaded me & my sis a couple yrs. ago when we ran out of time due to taking the steep, brushy gully as recommended by others. rolleyes.gif It was a huge time sucker so I was determined to avoid that route this time, plus, the "trail of sorts" that my mom said existed 35 yrs. ago....well, no longer existed as far as we could tell! embarassedlaugh.gif I did more internet research & still couldn't find much beta on this mtn., just a couple of reports mentioning the gully & all the horrible shindaggers along the way. Shindaggers, for those of you who have never had the pleasure of encountering them, are a type of agave that reach about shin height & have no qualms about going straight through pant legs & puncturing the skin. eek.gif If you can't avoid the plants, it's actually best to just step right on the center of them. Much of the slopes leading up to the summit of Table Mtn. are full of shindaggers, not to mention the other things like prickly pear, pincushion, & ocotillo, etc. Higher up there are some juniper trees. up.gif After spending a long time looking @ topo maps & the photograph of the peak in this report, I thought 'well why not leave Pima Canyon earlier & just walk up the long gentle slope that heads directly for the mtn., avoiding the gully altogether'? (as seen @ the far left center of the 2nd photo). Sure, it would mean a little more of the distance spent bushwhacking but likely faster since it would be significantly less steep. My topo map showed the long ridge ending right by the trail at about the 3,600' level, so this would make an easy & obvious place to leave the trail & head up. up.gif So, MM & I decided to give this other route a go. We got an early start & headed up Pima Canyon. It was a nice sunny day but not too warm, which was good since much of the Table Mtn. hike is low-elevation & south-facing. cool.gif
TH
TH
Pusch Ridge
Pusch Ridge
Pima Canyon ahead
Pima Canyon ahead
Houses in the foothills
Houses in the foothills
Table Mtn.
Table Mtn.
MM
MM
Prickly Pear cactus bloom
Prickly Pear cactus bloom
Prickly Pear cactus blooms
Prickly Pear cactus blooms
Rocky peak next to canyon
Rocky peak next to canyon
We made a brief stop for pics @ "The Big Rock" which is ~ 1 mi. up the trail & the 1st place the trail crosses the wash. This was a prominent landmark during my childhood yrs., & my mom said she had even once changed someone's diaper behind that rock. paranoid.gif Not sure if it had been mine though. embarassedlaugh.gif MM has photos of this (the rock, not the diaper). We continued on, enjoying the greenery of the canyon. It was a lot greener than I had seen it in a long time probably due to 1) it was May, rather than Nov or Dec when I usually visit, & 2) Tucson actually had received a decent amt. of rain over the winter. up.gif We kept an eye on our ridge coming up, noting that it comes shortly after "The Tree" (more on that later) & when The Cleaver (see below) is seen more or less directly across the canyon.
The Cleaver
The Cleaver
The Cleaver
The Cleaver
MM coming up the trail
MM coming up the trail
We kept our eye out for possible routes to cross the wash, which had running water in certain spots but the main issue was how brushy it was. We had to backtrack on the trail slightly in order to find a decent place to cross where it was still brushy but not as bad. Shortly after getting down into the wash, we spotted a frog. wub.gif
Frog
Frog
We scrambled up the rocks on the other side, & found ourselves on nice slabs of bedrock that made for easy walking up the ridge, @ least initially. Later it got a little brushier, but still nothing like what I encountered going up that silly gully a couple yrs. back.
Slab walk
Slab walk
MM dreams big
MM dreams big
MM having a snack
MM having a snack
Getting closer...
1 label
Getting closer...
Closer still...
Closer still...
As we got further up the ridge we ran into the dreaded shindaggers, but for the most part I was able to avoid getting poked. I tried to focus instead on the pretty cactus blooms & the views out to the Tucson valley.
Pink blooms
Pink blooms
Red bloom
Red bloom
Tucson
Tucson
The bushwhacking overall was pretty easy - we could keep Table Mtn. in our sights for most of the hike up & just continued in a more or less northeasterly direction to the top. We eventually reached the top of the ridge & were able to look down the other side to Oro Valley; this was the furthest my sis & I got a couple yrs. ago before reaching our TAT. This trip, MM & I had made much better progress by avoiding the brushy gully & still had plenty of time to summit. So we pressed on, crossing more rock slabs & entering the land of juniper trees. We angled north for the last bit, ascending the "finger" of Table Mtn. to reach the summit proper. The summit is somewhat treed to the south, so views to Tucson are to be had just below the summit. However, we got great views to the north & east.
Oro Valley to the north
Oro Valley to the north
Oro Valley
Oro Valley
Oracle area
Oracle area
Mt. Lemmon area
Mt. Lemmon area
Mt. Kimball
Mt. Kimball
BC Nixon pose
BC Nixon pose
MM found the summit register inside the summit cairn & we both signed it. I noticed that others had written they came up via "Crescent Crack", undoubtedly the nasty gully I went through before. I made a note that we did NOT go up that way!
Summit cairn
Summit cairn
MM signs the register
MM signs the register
Summit area
Summit area
We relaxed for about an hr. & soaked in the views.
Buster Mtn. below
1 label
Buster Mtn. below
Oro Valley with Picacho Pk. in the distance
1 label
Oro Valley with Picacho Pk. in the distance
Summit views
Summit views
MM on summit rock
MM on summit rock
Behind Prominent Pt.
Behind Prominent Pt.
Mt. Lemmon area
Mt. Lemmon area
Craggy pk.
Craggy pk.
Boot shot
Boot shot
Table edge
Table edge
Once we got our fill, we headed down just below the summit where the views open up to the S-SW for some pictures of Tucson. I attempted to see my mom's house or the park near it w/binocs, but I couldn't be sure if what I was seeing was the right thing. hmmm.gif uhh.gif
Tucson far below
Tucson far below
On the way down, we mostly stuck to the same route w/the exception of MM checking out a little nub on the ridge & then later going through a particularly thick patch of shindagger on a slightly steeper part of the slope. Nevertheless we eventually made it back down to flatter terrain, where we paused on a rock for a snack. The rock was in a small drainage & worn smooth by water, so when we stood back up to continue on, MM slipped & banged his elbow really hard. frown.gif He recovered in good time & soon we hiked down.
Nub
Nub
Top of Crescent Crack
Top of Crescent Crack
Heading down
1 label
Heading down
Looking back @ Table
Looking back @ Table
Prickly pear spines
Prickly pear spines
Lots more bushwhacking to do...
Lots more bushwhacking to do...
Once back in Pima Canyon, I told MM I wanted to stop @ "The Tree". The Tree is a place that we would visit on family trips throughout the yrs.; climbing into the tree & posing was mandatory. wink.gif I have various pictures from childhood & then in subsequent yrs. when I would come back to visit...of me or others sitting in the tree. So, this time was no exception. I noticed that over the yrs. the tree became increasingly difficult to get into huh.gif but this time it was easier (though still not easy!) b/c my sis & mom had been there not long before & placed a log @ the base of it to help get a leg up. smile.gif up.gif
BC Tree
BC Tree
MM getting into The Tree
MM getting into The Tree
Still trying...
Still trying...
Success!!
Success!!
MM relaxing
MM relaxing
MM straddles The Tree
MM straddles The Tree
It was getting late in the day, so we got to see the fading sunlight on the surrounding rocks. Only the last 1/2 mi. or so was spent using headlamp, & soon we were heading back to Ma's house for dinner. hungry.gif
Sunset
Sunset

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cascade Hunter

Cascade Hunter
PostFri Jun 11, 2010 12:49 pm 
Those pics make me miss being home back in the deserts of CA.

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostFri Jun 11, 2010 1:00 pm 
Nice report. I've been up Pima but typically in the early spring. I've wondered what it is like later when the cactus bloom. Your pictures give me the full story. Thanks!

MountainMan

MountainMan
PostSun Jun 20, 2010 7:14 pm 
Finally, we got Table Mtn.! biggrin.gif There's not too many places near Tucson that BC hasn't already done, but this was one of them (for good reasons, as she mentions). It sits overlooking the city and it calls to you every time you look up. BC was a little reluctant after her previous attempt, but I would keep bringing it up every time we were talking about trip ideas, so finally we decided to go for it. It was a day of very interesting bushwacking, but our plan to head up the ridge and avoid the "crescent crack" ended up working great. up.gif Heading up Pima Canyon.
map
map
Rabbit
Rabbit
Pima Canyon trail
Pima Canyon trail
Cool spot for a house.
Cool spot for a house.
Pima Canyon trail
Pima Canyon trail
Pima Canyon trail
Pima Canyon trail
Saguaros on the hill
Saguaros on the hill
Blooming Saguaro
Blooming Saguaro
Table Mtn. in the distance.
Table Mtn. in the distance.
Zoom of Table Mtn.
Zoom of Table Mtn.
Us on "the big rock"
Us on "the big rock"
Prickly Pear bloom
Prickly Pear bloom
BC on Pima Canyon trail
BC on Pima Canyon trail
Small peak along the Pima Canyon trail.
Small peak along the Pima Canyon trail.
Green
Green
The Cleaver
The Cleaver
Ridge we went up.
Ridge we went up.
Looking up Pima Canyon and ridge we went up on the left.
Looking up Pima Canyon and ridge we went up on the left.
We came across this little guy while crossing the wash. We think it's a Canyon Treefrog:
Canyon Treefrog
Canyon Treefrog
Canyon Treefrog
Canyon Treefrog
Canyon Treefrog
Canyon Treefrog
Here are some pictures of shindaggers, for those unfamiliar with them:
Shindaggers
Shindaggers
Why they're called shindaggers.
Why they're called shindaggers.
Shindagger
Shindagger
How to deal with shindaggers.
How to deal with shindaggers.
On the ridge and heading up.
Looking down at the wash
Looking down at the wash
On the ridge.
On the ridge.
Pincusion?
Pincusion?
The rock slabs made it easier for awhile.
The rock slabs made it easier for awhile.
Cholla
Cholla
Barrel Cactus
Barrel Cactus
Looking down on some Saguaros.
Looking down on some Saguaros.
BC on rock slab.
BC on rock slab.
Looking down Pima Canyon.
Looking down Pima Canyon.
Ocotillo bloom
Ocotillo bloom
Further up the ridge.
Further up the ridge.
Prickly Pear and flowers
Prickly Pear and flowers
Our destination
Our destination
Cactus blooms
Cactus blooms
Getting closer.
Getting closer.
Side of the Table and Oro Valley.
Side of the Table and Oro Valley.
Zoom over Oro Valley of Picacho Pk.
Zoom over Oro Valley of Picacho Pk.
On top
BC on summit rock.
BC on summit rock.
MM on summit rock.
MM on summit rock.
Summit cairn
Summit cairn
Summit pic
Summit pic
Views from the NE edge:
View to the NE.
View to the NE.
View NE
View NE
MM on the NE side of Table Mtn.
MM on the NE side of Table Mtn.
Boot shot from Table Mtn.
Boot shot from Table Mtn.
View of Pima Canyon:
Pima Canyon hills
Pima Canyon hills
- View from the SE edge:
Pima Canyon and Tucson beyond from Table Mtn.
Pima Canyon and Tucson beyond from Table Mtn.
Tucson from Table Mtn.
Tucson from Table Mtn.
Safford and Panther Peaks
Safford and Panther Peaks
Can you see BC's Mom's house?
Can you see BC's Mom's house?
Heading down
Chunks of mica
Chunks of mica
Barrel Cactus blooms
Barrel Cactus blooms
Barrel Cactus blooms
Barrel Cactus blooms
BC on the way down
BC on the way down
rock teeth
rock teeth
Century plant
Century plant
Field of shindaggers.
Field of shindaggers.
Through the shindaggers
Through the shindaggers
Looking back at Table Mtn.
Looking back at Table Mtn.
Looking down towards Pima Canyon and the way down.
Looking down towards Pima Canyon and the way down.
Almost back to the wash.
Almost back to the wash.
Cacti jungle
Cacti jungle
Sunset light on Pusch Ridge.
Sunset light on Pusch Ridge.
The tree
Ready
Ready
Get the leg up...
Get the leg up...
Slide over...
Slide over...
Made it!
Made it!
BC in the Tree.
BC in the Tree.
BC in the Tree.
BC in the Tree.
MM in the Tree.
MM in the Tree.
MM in the Tree.
MM in the Tree.

Slow down, take notice, savor the moment, appreciate the world around you and everything that you have.
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostMon Jun 21, 2010 11:39 am 
Love the summit pic of the two of you. I think that might win cutest nwhiker couple? I'm just saying.. biggrin.gif

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostMon Jun 21, 2010 12:46 pm 
Sunshine. Must be nice.

MountainMan

MountainMan
PostMon Jun 21, 2010 9:35 pm 
Thanks HQ smile.gif AH - Yeah, it kind of sucked getting back to Seattle. rolleyes.gif

Slow down, take notice, savor the moment, appreciate the world around you and everything that you have.