Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kamikaze falls via Mt Si trailhead 2/12/11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Feb 14, 2011 10:47 pm 
We followed in Tigermn's footsteps on this one...or at least his map. Thanks!
Thom at Kamikaze Falls 
2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Thom at Kamikaze Falls 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Stats 9.6 miles (GPS died again, but thats close) 2441 feet of climbing 2429 feet high point 690 feet parking lot 6.5 hours car to car.
9.6 miles approx (GPS died again) 
2429 feet max elevation 
2441 feet climbing 
690feet parking lot 
6.5 hours car to car
2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls. 9.6 miles approx (GPS died again) 2429 feet max elevation 2441 feet climbing 690feet parking lot 6.5 hours car to car
9.6 miles approx (GPS died again) 
2429 feet max elevation 
2441 feet climbing 
690feet parking lot 
6.5 hours car to car
2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls. 9.6 miles approx (GPS died again) 2429 feet max elevation 2441 feet climbing 690feet parking lot 6.5 hours car to car
Interesting that there is now better signage for the fork off of Talus Loop trail than there is for the Talus loop.
Better signage than Talus Loop trail. 
Better signage than Talus Loop trail. 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Better signage than Talus Loop trail. 
Better signage than Talus Loop trail. 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Spookiest part of the day was that we saw a LOT more people on the Roaring falls and Kamikaze trail than we saw on the Mt Si trail. Of course most of them came in the Teneriffe trailhead. And some were doing the logging road loop of Si-Teneriffe and skipping the falls. Some people were claiming to be heading for Teneriffe summit via the old Kamikaze trail that earns its name after the falls (or using the blocked and signed old section.)
Not a trail.  Rather not tell my cellmate I am in prison for hiking. 
Not a trail. Rather not tell my cellmate I am in prison for hiking. 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Note the well worn path going into "not a trail". 
Note the well worn path going into "not a trail". 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Lots of little falls along the way and its a nice way to put in some low elevation mileage with some variety when the snow is crap up higher.
Pete getting ready to run the log bridge. 
Pete getting ready to run the log bridge. 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Pete at lunch rocks. 
Pete at lunch rocks. 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Little fall.  Saw someone fall at this fall. 
Little fall. Saw someone fall at this fall. 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Flowy cascade. 
Flowy cascade. 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Slow Shutter. 
Slow Shutter. 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Fast shutter. 
Fast shutter. 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Sun trying hard. 
Sun trying hard. 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Lunch View.  Too cold to lunch at the falls. 
Lunch View. Too cold to lunch at the falls. 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Typical section of Kamikaze new trail. 
Typical section of Kamikaze new trail. 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Alternate lunch spot.  We stopped here, just because it was a nice place to stop and sit a bit. 
Alternate lunch spot. We stopped here, just because it was a nice place to stop and sit a bit. 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Interesting detour on Tigermn's "Later" trail. I was thinking it would make a fun mtn bike park and sure enough we then found traces of an old abandoned mt bike area, which had been put in over an older abandoned moto-x and quad area.
Old abandoned mtn bike park on the "Later" trail. 
Old abandoned mtn bike park on the "Later" trail. 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Highlight is of course Kamikaze falls, which you really need to see in person. Its not a high volume waterfall but it just keeps dropping and dropping through the deep forest. Photos are only of the very top of it. The lower regions are buried in the woods and just give glimpses here and there. "Overlook" at the official trail end is crowded with 2 people. Not sure where the dozen or so people fit that converged on it right after we left.
Kamikaze Falls 
Kamikaze Falls 2/12/11 Mt Si trailhead to Kamikaze Falls.
Kamikaze Falls 
Kamikaze Falls 
Kamikaze Falls 
Kamikaze Falls 
Kamikaze Falls 
Kamikaze Falls 
I could see doing the loop of going UP Kamikaze all the way to the Teneriffe summit, but I would want to be SURE I can avoid sliding back down that mess(I have heard LOTS of injuries from "experienced hikers" that seem to enjoy coming down it anyway). Only if I was sure of making it over to Si and coming back down Si and talus loop, maybe starting at Teneriffe parking or something.

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Feb 15, 2011 12:03 am 
boot up wrote:
If I were more creative, I could write a script for the the "Bike Witch Project" and be famous for 15 minutes.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Feb 15, 2011 5:05 am 
"How fast is too fast?" ....... A classic example of the 'frozen wax' effect that true stop motion waterfall photography sometimes produces. It's not much closer to what we actually 'see' than the silky versions.
Pretty good compromises. A little slow, by my standards, but fast enough to retain much of the variety that characterizes what we see. ....... Quite possibly what a camera set on AUTO would record, given available light.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Feb 15, 2011 1:52 pm 
I tend to agree that I really couldn't seem to hit "perfection" on shutter speed for this lighting. and I tried "auto" (basically), opening the shutter, setting for Neutral Density, and even doing an HDR combo of all of the above. But thats interesting you thought the "frozen" one was too frozen. I thought it was a bit slow, although it was as fast as the conditions and camera would allow, not being quite "Matrix" frozen to show the engergy, and just enough blur to look like a mistake. Maybe a tiiny bit one way or the other on that small fall would have really made it a winner. Kamikaze had me baffled. I have a few more variations that I did not post and they still seem too "in between" for type of water flow. I consider them "OK" shots, but probably won't be printing any or see them featured on webshots. Although I am often surprised what Webshots WILL feature. I'll give them credit for featuring "fast flow" with stopped water on the Twin Falls hike, rather than going with the silky flowy out of that batch, which were all included.

friluftsliv
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Feb 15, 2011 4:20 pm 
Yea I remember some nicer lunch type spots on the way up to K falls. Really not much level room where you end up at the falls. I came down Kamikaze some years ago before the new trail and slipped twice on the lower section (the section now closed/bypassed) due to steep mud. I also had a minor but nagging knee issue for the rest of the season after that June hike. It is a steep one for sure. I vowed to maybe try going up but not down again. It was snow free in June when I came down. Dunno what it is like with snow. Might be a good early season (June) trip to revisit. Of course coming back down would involve the long road slog down or hooking back up on Si either up top or back down the road where you came from, or just parking at the Teneriffe road and circling it that way which would be shorter. The old Kamikaze trail gained 3512 feet in 1.72 miles (2041 ft/mile). Of course the lower portion of that is now more graded. By comparison: Mailbox (discarding the road part and the first .25 miles of trail which aren't steep). This is walking up the Talus field as well. 2.54 miles 3648 feet gained (1436 ft/mile)

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostTue Feb 15, 2011 6:23 pm 
you might have seen us crazies ( & lawbreakers biggrin.gif ) going up AND back down the KF route to Teneriffe on Sat. Me, Rob & Isabel (border collie). I think it may have been you that commented to us on using the 'old trail' where they overlap and I said "less steps"? I've gone up the KF route before & down the road walk too- not bad, but takes longer.....

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Feb 15, 2011 9:28 pm 
Snowdog wrote:
you might have seen us crazies ( & lawbreakers biggrin.gif ) going up AND back down the KF route to Teneriffe on Sat. Me, Rob & Isabel (border collie). I think it may have been you that commented to us on using the 'old trail' where they overlap and I said "less steps"? I've gone up the KF route before & down the road walk too- not bad, but takes longer.....
Yes, we definitely remembered you. "Less steps" more than stuck in our mind and became the joke of the day. We were thinking of applying that theory to getting down from or up to Rattlesnake ledge and a few places like that. biggrin.gif Thanks for being so entertaining! hockeygrin.gif up.gif

friluftsliv