Forum Index > Trip Reports > Glacier and Crescent Lakes, Mission Mts, Montana
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
whitebark

whitebark
PostWed Jun 16, 2010 4:28 pm 
While visiting relatives at Seeley Lake, Montana, we managed to do this great hike on the east side of the Mission Mountains. By Montana standards, the hike to Glacier Lake is popular, but urbanites from Seattle will think the area is pretty tranquil. This hike offers a long of bang for the buck...it's less than two easy, family-friendly miles to glorious Glacier Lake:
Glacier Lake
Glacier Lake
Lex, Glacier Lake, Mission Mountains
Lex, Glacier Lake, Mission Mountains
Wanting some more exercise, we headed up the trail to Crescent Lake. I kept waiting for the trail to get steep, but it never did. This is one of those trails that was constructed at a precise 10% grade using surveying equipment. Views over Glacier Lake toward the Mission Mountains opened up as we climbed:
Glacier Lake from Turqoise Lake Trail
Glacier Lake from Turqoise Lake Trail
Jim and Lex
Jim and Lex
At nearly 6000', we hit snow, and the half mile spur trail to Crescent Lake was almost completely covered. But the tedious snow slogging was worth the effort--the lake was an alpine gem:
still thawing at 6000'
still thawing at 6000'
Crescent Lake
Crescent Lake
Crescent Lake, Mission Mountains
Crescent Lake, Mission Mountains
I'm definitely returning to explore the Mission Mountains in the future. Bonus Hike: Morrell Lake and Falls The next day, wiith a few hours to spare,we did the pleasant 4 mile (R/T) hike to Morrell Falls, located close to the town of Seeley Lake. This well-groomed "National Recreation Trail" was smooth enough to roll a baby buggy up...literally (we met someone doing just that). The waterfall was really roaring with all the spring rain and snowmelt, an impressive sight. Near the falls is tranquil Morrell Lake.
Morrell Falls
Morrell Falls
Morrell Falls Trail, Seely Lake area, MT
Morrell Falls Trail, Seely Lake area, MT

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kyle d

kyle d
PostThu Jun 17, 2010 8:28 am 
Thanks for the report, it brings back memories for me. Glacier Lake and Morrell Falls were some of my earliest hikes in the greater NW.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message