Forum Index > Trip Reports > Red Mountain - 19 June 2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Paul M

Paul M
PostSun Jun 20, 2010 8:46 pm 
Red Mountain, located north of Roslyn by Salmon La Sac was the destination for this dreary June day. Joining me on the trip were my daughter Katie, Stu and his daughter Shaylee, and Tim. Some additional information on this peak can be found here http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/294162/red-mountain-wa-.html and a map here http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=47.39765,-121.14495&z=15&t=T. We started up the Red mountain trail #1330 in a light rain and experienced more of the same on and off for most of the day. Where the trail splits at 3100 feet we elected to take the branch on the right side of the stream (a mistake) and ended up fighting our way to the old logging road spur at 3900 feet on faint scratch trails. On the way down we kept to the main trail, which went without trouble. Solid snow was encountered in the basin from 4500 feet up to the ridge saddle at 5600 feet but the ridge from there to the summit was clear of snow. We enjoyed some intermittent clearing while on the summit and for most of our descent, as we decided not to down climb the ridge but elected to drop off the east shoulder from just north of the summit where we were able to stay on snow almost all the way to 4800 feet. From there we angled back to the basin catching the trail again at 4600 feet. The skies opened up to a good down pour during the last 1000 feet of the descent and it continued raining quite hard on the drive home until we came over the pass. Sure glad summer is only a few days away! All in all this was a nice trip and the girls did great with the less than ideal conditions.
Red Mountain trail head
Red Mountain trail head
Shaylee and Katie wet but having fun
Shaylee and Katie wet but having fun
Shaylee and Stu
Shaylee and Stu
Kat in upper basin
Kat in upper basin
Below the summit ridge
Below the summit ridge
Kat along the ridge crest
Kat along the ridge crest
Final scramble to the top
Final scramble to the top
Paul and Kat on top
Paul and Kat on top
Father and daughter on top
Father and daughter on top
Tim on top
Tim on top
All smiles
All smiles
Lemah, Chimney Rock, Summit Chief
Lemah, Chimney Rock, Summit Chief
Her hat says it all
Her hat says it all

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rossb

rossb
PostSun Jun 20, 2010 8:59 pm 
Excellent report. I really appreciate the link to acme. It really speeds things up. I've actually been to that Red Mountain, but forgot it was called Red.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message