Forum Index > Trip Reports > Eightmile & North Craggy (USGS Billy Goat) 6/12 - 6/13/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Jun 22, 2010 11:56 pm 
Date: June 12-13, 2010 Destination: Eightmile 7840 & North Craggy 8205 (USGS Billy Goat) Party: Matt, mtnmike, Suzanne R
Eightmile Summit Camp
Eightmile Summit Camp
This trip can be done in a day, as previously described in Stefan's 6/8/08 report. However, we wanted to stay out overnight and enjoy a high camp, so we did Eightmile first and camped overnight on the summit. On Saturday, we hiked the Eightmile trail toward Eightmile Pass, then went up the north end of Eightmile to its 7840 summit. On Sunday, we continued to the Eightmile – West Craggy Col at 7400, dropped to No Dice Lake 6521, made a side trip to North Craggy 8205, and exited down No Dice’s outlet to the Eightmile Creek valley. Map to be inserted here Highlights of the trip:
  • Temperatures up high were warm & pleasant.
  • The lakes were mostly frozen & cold.
  • The Craggies were craggy & corniced.
  • The camp atop Eightmile featured panoramic views and a near-solstice sunset that lingered for hours into the night.
Saturday Billy Goat Hairpin 4550 to Eightmile Peak 7840 We parked at the usual snow pile on the last hairpin turn of the road before the Billy Goat trailhead, and hiked the trail till we were across from the north bowl of Eightmile Peak, circa 5400 feet a bit before Eightmile Pass. We dropped 100 feet down into the streambed, then hiked up snowy woods to the bowl north of Eightmile and a wide gully that angled left up below Point 7756. We scrambled around the left side of some rock bands and up onto 7756, then followed the crest to Eightmile’s summit.
New sign over old sign at Pasayten Wilderness Boundary
New sign over old sign at Pasayten Wilderness Boundary
Route up south end of Eightmile
Route up south end of Eightmile
Scrambling around side of Point 7756, with later route up North Craggy and down No Dice Creek in background
2 labels
Scrambling around side of Point 7756, with later route up North Craggy and down No Dice Creek in background
Ridge between Point 7756 and Eightmile summit 7840
Ridge between Point 7756 and Eightmile summit 7840
Eightmile’s summit had a Fay Pullen register and fine views of all of the Craggies. A hundred yards past the summit I found a likely spot for a tent, but it was so warm I decided I’d lay out my sleeping bag on the summit itself.
Mike & Suzanne on Eightmile
Mike & Suzanne on Eightmile
My shadow on Eightmile, looking at North & Big Craggy
My shadow on Eightmile, looking at North & Big Craggy
West Craggy Lake 6980 I figured I could have a nice afternoon nap on the warm summit, but it wasn’t to be. Looking out toward West Craggy, I noticed the blue rim of a lake just beginning to melt out of the snow. But it was 800 feet downhill. In the morning we’d have to go halfway down anyway to reach the Eightmile – West Craggy col, but the lake would still be on the wrong side of the col, and it would be cold and shaded then. Now it was sunlit and warm, so down I went, racing to get there before the evening shadows.
West Craggy & West Craggy Lake 6880
West Craggy & West Craggy Lake 6880
West Craggy Lake
West Craggy Lake
The scramble down to the col was about half rock and half traversing on snow on the west side, then all snow from the col down to the lake. High above, I could see the silhouettes of Mike & Suzanne on the summit.
Summit people watching me run the ridge toward the Eight/West col
Summit people watching me run the ridge toward the Eight/West col
Down at the lake, there was another problem. To get a photo with mountains in the background, I had to walk out an peninsula of snow in the lake. Getting onto the peninsula was okay, but getting off it not so good. When I stepped toward the edge, I sank waist deep in a thick half-frozen mix of slush and water. I flailed out of it, stood on my pack to warm up my feet, frowned at the bloody streaks where the icy crystals had scraped my legs, and brushed the slush off of ludicrously inconvenient parts of me. Then I found a firmer place to get in, and was able to swim with only a bit of soft floating ice to push out of the way.
Closer to the lake
Closer to the lake
Swimming in West Craggy Lake
Swimming in West Craggy Lake
My tracks on the peninsula of snow
My tracks on the peninsula of snow
Evening at Eightmile Camp Hiking the 800 feet back uphill, I could see the backlit tent very prettily glowing like a beacon on the summit. In the waning light of the day, I rejoined Mike & Suzanne for a warm dinner.
Summit camp awaiting my return
Summit camp awaiting my return
Dinner at camp
Dinner at camp
Our camp was a fine grandstand for watching the sunset develop. Out north, the alpenglow highlighted bunches of summits I’ve never explored on the other side of Eightmile creek.
Looking at the opposite side of the Eightmile Creek Valley
Looking at the opposite side of the Eightmile Creek Valley
East of us, Eightmile’s shadow fell right onto tomorrow’s route up from No Dice Lake to the North/Big Craggy col. As the shadows climbed higher, just the peaks of the Craggies stood out in deeper red.
Eightmile shadow pointing to the North/Big Craggy Col
Eightmile shadow pointing to the North/Big Craggy Col
Craggies Sunset from Eightmile Camp
Craggies Sunset from Eightmile Camp
As the evening deepened, the light shifted from alpenglow on the peaks to a band of afterglow behind the peaks.
North & Big Craggy Alpenglow
North & Big Craggy Alpenglow
North & Big Craggy Afterglow
North & Big Craggy Afterglow
Out west, hordes of peaks stood out against he afterglow.
Silver Star & Glacier Afterglow
Silver Star & Glacier Afterglow
Goode, Logan, etc
Goode, Logan, etc
Further after sunset, the light shifted higher to make clouds glow orange over Eightmile’s summit.
Post-sunset cloud-light over Eightmile summit
Post-sunset cloud-light over Eightmile summit
From our dining room I hiked back up to the summit and laid out my sleeping bag. The evening stayed warm enough that I never even had zip my bag al the way closed. Lying atop the peak, I watched the near-solstice light linger long into the night. The sky slowly faded to darker shades of blue, but even hours after sunset I could still see a glow of light on the western horizon whenever I lifted my head to look that way. It wasn’t till near midnight that I could look up and see a sky finally darkened to black with the Big Dipper hanging overhead.
Sunset (8:59pm) behind Ptarmigan Peak
Sunset (8:59pm) behind Ptarmigan Peak
Orange clouds out west (9:16 pm)
Orange clouds out west (9:16 pm)
Light lingering on the western horizon (9:56pm)
Light lingering on the western horizon (9:56pm)
Sunday Got to get to bed now, so here are the rest of the photos, and I’ll fill in text later. Morning at Eightmile Camp
Morning at the summit bivy (5:15am)
Morning at the summit bivy (5:15am)
Morning sun on the tent site
1 label
Morning sun on the tent site
Bivy & tent
Bivy & tent
Eightmile Peak to No Dice Lake 6541
Scrambling toward the col
Scrambling toward the col
Descending the Eightmile – West Craggy gully
Descending the Eightmile – West Craggy gully
Mike checking the frozen surface of No Dice Lake
Mike checking the frozen surface of No Dice Lake
North Craggy 8205 Up to the col:
Hiking up into the sun
Hiking up into the sun
Sun sitting on the col
Sun sitting on the col
Shadow stretching back down toward the lake
Shadow stretching back down toward the lake
Up the ridge and on the summit:
Nearing the col
Nearing the col
North Face of Big Craggy
North Face of Big Craggy
Summit group photo
Summit group photo
Big & West Craggy, No Dice Lake, & Eightmile
8 labels
Big & West Craggy, No Dice Lake, & Eightmile
Descent:
Looking down the descent route from North Craggy (and back up to Eightmile col)
Looking down the descent route from North Craggy (and back up to Eightmile col)
Mike glissading down North Craggy
Mike glissading down North Craggy
Suzanne glissading down North Craggy
Suzanne glissading down North Craggy
No Dice Lake
Swim in No Dice Lake
Swim in No Dice Lake
Mike & Suzanne hiking past No Dice Lake
Mike & Suzanne hiking past No Dice Lake
Exit
Exit Route, angling down from No Dice Creek to Eightmile Creek
Exit Route, angling down from No Dice Creek to Eightmile Creek
Claim corner marker grown into tree
Claim corner marker grown into tree
Car parked below snowbank at the hairpin
Car parked below snowbank at the hairpin

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostWed Jun 23, 2010 1:09 pm 
gotta love ludicrously inconvenient parts.

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostWed Jun 23, 2010 1:32 pm 
Summit bivy up.gif No thanks on the icy swims though.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostWed Jun 23, 2010 3:26 pm 
Matt wrote:
Down at the lake, there was another problem.... I sank waist deep in a thick half-frozen mix of slush and water. I flailed out of it, stood on my pack to warm up my feet, frowned at the bloody streaks where the icy crystals had scraped my legs, and brushed the slush off of ludicrously inconvenient parts of me.
Swim in No Dice Lake
Swim in No Dice Lake
Account and photos worthy of James Joyce's Homeric epithet: scrotum-tightening. N

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Jun 23, 2010 5:37 pm 
up.gif Thanks for the report. So that's what that area looks like in nice weather. I guess so nice that you had to take a swim in a mostly frozen lake. I'll remember your trip for my next time out there as I want to climb those two peaks also.

Eric Eames