Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Tiffany 8242' and Clark 7890' Peak Loop 6/29
Previous :: Next Topic  
wildernessed
viewbagger

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:29 pm    Tiffany 8242' and Clark 7890' Peak Loop 6/29
 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Access / Map : See GTM - Tiffany Mountain, Wa
Stats : 9.7 mi, 3755' loop

Niles and Hannah joined Steve and I on this trip, two weeks ago or more from North Twenty Mile we looked back at passes on the North side at 6500' and 6800' that serve the Tiffany area and both were bone dry, so we thought we could get back in there, and get into Tiffany, maybe stay high enough on the ridge and snag Clark.
We arrived at the Freeze Out Ridge TH 6540' and all the roads were snow free, and in great condition, wildflowers lined our route. The trail was snow free quite a ways to just before where we left to ascend up Tiffany. There  was some snow, but you can miss most of it from the West side.

On the summit it was generally dry with some fading cornices and a huge infestation of Lady Bugs. The weather man said mostly sunny, but of course that was only true any time we were gaining elevation otherwise it was mostly cloudy, but the temps though coolish were pleasant and the light winds appreciated. Clouds cover was generally high enough to allow for good viewage hockeygrin.gif.

We had a snack, shot some pics, then headed down the South slope / ridge towards Clark Peak via the top of a connecting ridge, surprisingly the South sides of both Tiffany and Clark had a lot of snow while the West sides had much less to nearly nothing. The snow was highly variable in it's consistency, but travel wasn't bad overall.

On top of Clark there is a ridge that extends out from the main mountain and there are several highpoints, the last one being called the true summit, we found a summit register placed by Fay Pullen in the rocks back in 2008 and we were the first to sign it since her.

We had a good lunch then headed back dropping down that piece of crap trail that goes West by the Bernhardt Mine and the creek drainage. The trail is faint, and we lost it so we just headed down through cliffy rocks, d blow down, and what seemed like a bog until the drainage flattened out then ran into it, but it's a mess. It has to be the worse trail I have yet to be on in the Sawtooths or Pasayten area, plus bugs, but it ended as all things do and we ended up on the road where we walked back up the the car at the pass.

A great trip with a lot of diverse terrain and great views. The kids had a good time and Niles used every piece of his new hiking gear. Another good one Steve, Thanks !

--------------
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent_Gandhi
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Redwic
Jack Of All Hikes

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:59 pm   

That's odd, and frustrating. I don't always sign summit registers, but when Gimpilator and I visited Clark Peak last August (2009) I made a brief effort to find a summit register while we were there. Was it covered by a lot of rocks?

Good job on summiting two nice peaks.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Layback
Proud Papa x2

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:15 pm   

Nice Rob.  Looks like a fun outing.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
wildernessed
viewbagger

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:33 pm   

Thanks, Steve was digging around in the rocks because we questioned the highest point I had the main highpoint at 7904', then crossing over to the extended ridge the second highpoint was 7889', and the third was 7902', where we found the register, I didn't see any benchmarks. Each peak looked bigger from the other, you know how that goes.

--------------
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent_Gandhi
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HitTheTrail

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:59 pm   

And the peak list grows! Nice TR and diverse set of  pics. Looks like you all had a good day.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:50 pm   

Good to know that the roads are clear and the flowers are coming out.

--------------
“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:05 am   

I ws wondering if the road was clear all the way to Freezeout. Guess this means we need to get out there soon although we usually wait until the wildflowers are out.
Good to see the ladybugs were out and not June Bugs.  clown.gif

--------------
"If you rest you rust."  Helen Hayes
"I would rather wear out then rust out." Helen Klein
TrailPair

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:26 am   

Was this hike a test to see if Niles could keep up?  Three peaks and a bunch of  miles oughta be a good test!  hmmm.gif  winksmile.gif

--------------
This thing called work is interfering with my play
wildernessed
viewbagger

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:20 pm   

TrailPair wrote:
Was this hike a test to see if Niles could keep up?  Three peaks and a bunch of  miles oughta be a good test!  hmmm.gif  winksmile.gif

No, they're both 18 going on 19 and athletic, they never broke a sweat, I think they talked the whole trip, we were slightly ahead of them. There isn't much you can't do at that age. They had talked about going running when we got back home.  eek.gif

--------------
raising3hikers

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:36 pm   

HitTheTrail wrote:
And the peak list grows! Nice TR and diverse set of  pics. Looks like you all had a good day.

ditto.gif Thanks for another TR of another area I need to visit

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Tiffany 8242' and Clark 7890' Peak Loop 6/29  
  Happy Birthday Crazyforthetrail, Exposed, ImTheScientist!

Jump to: