Forum Index > Trip Reports > Buckhorn Pass 06.26 & 27.10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostTue Jun 29, 2010 9:33 pm 
We had periodic showers and heavy gray skies on the drive over. Crossing Hood Canal bridge the mountains were completely covered in clouds. Weather slowly broke and we arrived to five or six other cars and mostly blue sky above at the Tubal Cain TH. Rhodies are blooming nicely in the first mile and should be even better the following two miles over the next couple weeks.
After crossing Copper Creek, we headed up the long gradual switchbacks towards Buckhorn Pass. A lot of open meadow with wildflowers blooming throughout. We saw a bear shortly before reaching the Buckhorn Lake way trail. We were down wind and spent about 15 min watching it grub. We got 4L of water just down the lake trail, but wound up passing the same stream three more times on the way up. Probably not an option late in the year?
Small patches of snow start to cover the trail above 5k'. Deeper snow and some postholing within the last mile of the pass. We were greeted with lots of sunshine and wonderful views of the peaks across the Dungeness Valley. Had a couple coldies and took in the beauty of it all.
from Buckhorn Pass
from Buckhorn Pass
Baldy
Baldy
A couple guys we met along the way went up towards Buckhorn stopping short and returned, (along with another group of 20?) that had tried to go to Marmot Pass unsuccessfully. Fortunately they were all camping back down at Tubal Cain. smile.gif We threw on our sandals and headed N instead towards Peak 6628 where it was dry. More nice views and endless scrambling opportunties.
Buckhorn
Buckhorn
Had a real nice sunset and some amazing clouds that stuck around and put on quite a show when the full moon finally made its way over Buckhorn. I found the area around the pass to be too sensitive for camping and one should head either N or S from the pass to find appropriate space.
Gray Wolf Ridge
Gray Wolf Ridge
Mt Worthington
Mt Worthington
Iron / Buckhorn
Iron / Buckhorn
Snow was more consolidated on the way out in the morning after heavy traffic, no postholing smile.gif Trail smelled of a fresh bouquet with all the colors of the rainbow. Soul refreshed!
Tubal Cain Trail
Tubal Cain Trail

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
half fast

half fast
PostTue Jun 29, 2010 9:50 pm 
Nice TR and wonderful photos up.gif up.gif This is on my to-do list this year and seeing your photos has me even more excited about it !! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Seeing that scenery first hand must have been awesome. Thanks for sharing

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Jun 29, 2010 10:16 pm 
well I have to dig out a map...in one of the buckhorn pic's is that where the lake is , you no mention getting to lakeeee..... and wow some good pic's to frame -up for you.....

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Jun 29, 2010 10:30 pm 
i will repeat myself.......i am lovin' the TRs from the olympics wub.gif thanks for sharing.........great photos! up.gif no closeup of bear? i am wanting to go 'everywhere'!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostWed Jun 30, 2010 6:16 am 
Thanks for the TR and photos. Your shots of the Tyler-Baldy ridge show that it's now possible to get up to Tyler Peak or Mount Baldy without having to deal with extensive snow. A very welcome development.

Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostWed Jun 30, 2010 9:53 am 
I'm with AA, that Tyler shot looks enticing! Thanks for the report.

kite

kite
PostWed Jun 30, 2010 10:26 am 
Nice! up.gif

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)
PostWed Jun 30, 2010 9:32 pm 
What a difference from last summer when I went and got eaten up by bugs, especially by the Tubal-Cain camp ground. It wasn't bad up on top though. Maybe I will go before the bugs wake up and the rodies are gone. wink.gif Nice TR and pic's.

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
PTLateHiker

PTLateHiker
PostThu Jul 01, 2010 7:58 am 
Buckhorn Snow Levels
Great trip report. This is one of my favorite spots particularly the long wildflower traverse after Tubal Cain. Check out the difference in snow levels from my picture taken on the 6th of June last year:
I dry camped on the ridge by schlepping water from Copper Creek. I also discovered too late the snowmelt streams near the top - but be aware they are not running in the morning.

"back at camp the mountain peak still in my legs" - Yu Chang
reststep

reststep
PostThu Jul 01, 2010 12:35 pm 
Beautiful, thanks for the report. It looks like Goat Lake is still snowed in.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Jul 01, 2010 1:40 pm 
Loved it! up.gif