Forum Index > Trip Reports > Getting Blown over on Burrough's 1,2 & 3 7-7-10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 9:53 pm 
Zachster & I met @ Sunrise today and decided on doing Burrough's trail. Trail is more melted out then last weekend when I was there. It won't be long till it's snow free. It was REALLY windy at times today.
We saw this cute guy right off the bat.
Nancy was kind enough to kick steps most of the day for me
and make the trail for the glissades
she is also great at route finding and navigation. Pretty much the perfect hiking companion, she also brought me chocolate.
Not really sure what I bring to the table but a BIG ASS smile! Cuz I love Rainier so much!
We had a great day playing in the snow going up and down many "bumps". I got some good color today maybe a little too much pink on the nose but it should be tan by tomorrow.
Can't wait till our next adventure in a couple of days on the other side of the mountain. Life is good, hope you all enjoy the pics.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jhiker

jhiker
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 10:30 pm 
Looks like a great trip. Love the Marmot pics!

Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 5:09 pm 
Sounds like it was a great hike. Awesome! up.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 5:45 pm 
Zachster is a chick?!!?? eek.gif embarassedlaugh.gif Sorry, I don't why that is funny, but it is. Nice report and pics. Which Burroughs did you get to? Third? It sure looks like one of your pictures is looking back at 2nd Burroughs. hmmm.gif (Whoops, I just read the thread title. doh.gif doh.gif ) Something freaked me out: I selected the original size of the picture of the marmot's head, and viewed it full screen. Man, that's one scary-looking marmot! paranoid.gif

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 9:39 pm 
Dude...where have you been? You know, we met at the Teeth of the Freakin Cold Larch last year... rolleyes.gif tongue.gif Maybe I need to change my name...how about "the Zachster-chick"? embarassedlaugh.gif Janelle, thanks for another fun day at our favorite Park! That " I love Rainier smile " really was constant (is it gone yet? winksmile.gif ). And thank you for finding all the postholes for me! embarassedlaugh.gif Regarding the trail, the most challenging part was ascending First Burroughs since, surprisingly there was no boot path. And since I don't like traversing above rocks (if I can avoid it) we opted for the direct approach...straight up the left end. The snow was good but it's definitely melting fast. The soft snow on such a steep slope made for one really fun and safe glissade! Probably by next week there won't be enough snow to go your own way. The ground under the snow is really fragile so I'm sure the Park Service will establish a boot path to follow. The way to Second followed the trail with intermittent snow and dirt. The way to Third was just a direct walk up on snow. All three summits were bare and dry. The wind Janelle mentioned was totally amazing and unexpected. At times it nearly brought us to our knees...I'm guessing 50MPH or more with steady winds around 15-20. It definitely kept us cool and definitely kept the bugs away. I'm not sure what was keeping the other hikers away (actually that ascent of 1st Burroughs is not for novice hikers) but we saw absolutely nobody until our return to 2nd. This trip is quickly becoming one of my absolute favorites. It is so unbelievably gorgeous and such a pleasant hike. I'm ready to go back again already! Sorry I haven't had time to download pics yet. Will try to put some up soon, but Janelle's pics are great and tell the whole story! agree.gif cool.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
kite

kite
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 10:23 pm 
Wow, i can not believe the difference between today and when i was up Monday... looks like half the snow is gone already... did you get some more photos if frozen lake?

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 10:33 pm 
kite, photo 17 shows the melting of frozen lake, I was shocked at how quick it's melting out too, I was there 4 days earlier. I'm pretty sure I will be going up at least once a week till the road closes..I love Sunrise, wish I could live there. biggrin.gif

kite

kite
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 8:56 am 
Hikingqueen wrote:
kite, photo 17 shows the melting of frozen lake, I was shocked at how quick it's melting out too, I was there 4 days earlier. I'm pretty sure I will be going up at least once a week till the road closes..I love Sunrise, wish I could live there. biggrin.gif
the snow on Burrough's Monday, first time i have hiked up in the area, I dove up once before but the parking lot was so full people were parking halfway down the hill...
6667.jpg
6667.jpg
6703.jpg
6703.jpg

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 12:53 pm 
When the snow is gone there is a path all the way to Third Burroughs from the parking lot. It is one of the very best "bang for the buck" hikes in the state. If you do the loop option to get back, by Shadow lake and the Emmons overlook, it comes to about ten miles, but man oh man is it worth it. My pics from five years ago show the trails Wow, it's been five years since I went? Time to go back..... hmmm.gif Zachster: I told you I didn't know why that was so funny to me. embarassedlaugh.gif

jd_hiker

jd_hiker
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 1:56 pm 
Wow, the snow is sure melting in the past 2 weeks. Glad you had a great time!

I have 11 essentials, the 10 plus an extra camera battery. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jd_hiker/ http://jdhascup.wordpress.com http://jdhascup.500px.com
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 2:18 pm 
Agreed, Sluggo, the loop trip is the best when the snow is nearly gone. There's a nasty slope on that side that would be extremely unpleasant if the snow was not good. Beautiful trip though, as you said...biggest bang for your buck! agree.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 6:30 pm 
Hmmm.. Grand Park looks melted out. Maybe time for a back door trip.