Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Le Tour
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon May 20, 2013 5:10 pm 
B., The book spent little time on the sprinters. It was mostly the GC guys and their climber "helpers." The blood bag transfusions were the weirdest thing...you still hit a wall and suffered, but the new blood allowed just enough energy to peek through the wall that it was all worthwhile(there is some risk in bad blood). It's not a muscle or mind thing; it's the ability of your blood to carry oxygen. Plain and simple. There was a lot of druggie denial in the book about lying and why Hamilton doped, but the insider look is fascinating, scary, and very very real. Tom

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Jun 30, 2013 9:52 pm 
bets? 2013 le tour winner loses title after testing positive for whatever!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Jul 01, 2013 2:15 am 
The 2012 tour winner is still clean, although not defending his title this year due to injury. The Corsican start has been interesting with much commentary how the sport is leaving the druggies behind. We'll see. One other thing Tyler Hamilton's book underscores for the layman is how fast the peloton has gotten in the last 10 years or so. Those shots of the guys handing water bottles back and forth, chatting, eating goo bars on the go etc....still averaging about 25 mph. Dude. Tom

Lono

Lono
PostMon Jul 01, 2013 8:17 am 
Tour de Farce - its the pro wrestling of big money sport. That allegiance all you cyclists feel to the peleton whistling by air rushing thru helmets, that's you and your friends out for a morning's ride and not the professional sport of cycling. Because whatever le tour claims is a lie. And we know this better than you know because you have lived in denial about it for years and we have not. The truth hurts. There is no sense in proclaiming some great I Told You So moment because that will just wrap up some of you further into denial and taint you to the end of days. Just like the tour.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Jul 01, 2013 9:53 am 
tmatlack wrote:
One other thing Tyler Hamilton's book underscores for the layman is how fast the peloton has gotten in the last 10 years or so. Those shots of the guys handing water bottles back and forth, chatting, eating goo bars on the go etc....still averaging about 25 mph. Dude.
i agree agree.gif Wiggins Rocks up.gif i have trouble just getting my own water bottle at 10mph! biggrin.gif i'm 12 days out for my first (and last tongue.gif ) STP eek.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun Jul 07, 2013 3:00 am 
All, Maybe we have a break through in this 100th Tour with Team Sky's Chris Froome decimating the field in the 1st mountain stage. Froome came in 2nd last year behind Wiggins, who is injured. Team Sky's Richie Porte came in a long 2nd at 51 seconds behind his captain. The good news is that Team Sky "seems" to have nurtured a culture of anti-doping, and if Froome can blow away the best climbers like he did on Stage 8, then maybe others will see the light and give up all the nasties. Wiggins is still in the clear for his win last year. The bad news is that Froome/Team Sky was so dominant in this climber's stage, that the other big shots....Contador, Evans, Schlek, etc....may well be out of the race already and that will make for a boring Tour from here on out. Thumbs up No Dope. Thumbs down no one else got game. Tom PS: Check out how slight/thin Froome is. Armstrong always said the best climbers gotta be thin.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 8:38 am 
Are Osymetric chainrings the new PEDs? We'll be DVRing the climb up Mt. Ventoux on Bastille Day. Will be fun to watch after our return from the mountains on Sunday.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Jul 13, 2013 3:56 am 
Steve, Sorry, bike mechanics left me behind in the 70's. I found my beloved Motobecane 10 speed in a snow drift in Marquette MI in 1977. It had a Brooks leather saddle, and those tapered clevis pins to attach cranks to bottom brackets. I've had to replace most everything through the years except frame/headset/handlebars and those beautiful front forks. Tom

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Jul 15, 2013 3:22 pm 
It's been an interesting bike race on the road this year. Not sure how it's been going in the lab. It is a bit of a weird world where the organizers try to emphasize the positive and ignore mentioning the unmentionable one. Today's revelations against top sprinter's are just another nail in the coffin of honest sports. Maybe we need to make sports doping a Federal offence.

iron

iron
PostMon Jul 15, 2013 6:32 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Are Osymetric chainrings the new PEDs?
interesting. my buddy used to have one on his old bianchi, but it wasn't nearly as asymmetric as the ones a quick google search turns up. question: how does a derailleur work with one of those guys? is it only the outer ring shaped like that?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 7:09 am 
Both rings are shaped. I have Rotor Q rings, less radical shape. Adjusting the FD can be tricky but shifts fine once you get it. RD is not an issue.

iron

iron
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 8:46 am 
hmm. seems like the RD would be constantly placed in varying degrees of tension as the chain lengthens and shortens, thereby wearing it out more quickly.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 10:39 am 
No, actually. On my Rotor Q rings the number of teeth engaged by the chainring stay quite close to constant so the RD wrap spring does move much -- so little that I don't notice it at all. I can't see any RD cage movement in this video:
Check out 0:38 - 0:53 on this video of an Osymetric ring paired with a Rohloff hub. Note that the chainring wrap on this setup is >180* while the chain wrap with a RD is usually pretty close to 180*.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 3:27 pm 
Is this like something I remember called "Bio-pace"?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
iron

iron
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 3:33 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
so little that I don't notice it at all.
so did you notice an improvement in your cycling?