Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 6:02 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Is this like something I remember called "Bio-pace"?
Very different than Biopace. Indeed, a case can be made that Biopace did the opposite of Osymetric by increasing the effective gear ratio through the dead spot and descreasing it through the power stroke. (Sheldon Brown deems Biopace "the exact opposite of the classical elliptical design." FTR, Sheldon has long been a fan of Biopace.) Back in the Biopace days we experimented by rotating the Biopace ring 72* clockwise (i.e., one arm on a 5-arm crank). I did quite a bit of experimenting with them years ago. For awhile I put a 52T Biopace and a 52T round ring on the same crank so I could shift between the two and compare them on the fly. Oh, the fun I had back when I worked in bike shops and rode 10,000 miles/year.
iron wrote:
so did you notice an improvement in your cycling?
I like the feel of the Rotor Q rings. They noticeably lower the gear (and thus quicken the rotation) through the dead spot. They seem to smooth out my stroke. But I don't ride enough these days to say whether they would actually help in the long run. FTR, there are at least three nonround chainrings out there: Osymetric, Rotor Q and Doval. Osymetric is the most radical shape, Rotor Q the least and Doval in between. The Rotor Q and the new Dovals have numerous mounting holes that allow for 5 different mounting positions. ETA: Rotor now has a QXL that with more radical shape.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun Jul 21, 2013 1:44 am 
Until I hear otherwise I am encouraged by Froome and Team Sky. Wiggins still in the clear from last year and now his teammate Froome. Of course there are questions about his dominance, but for now, Yellow Jersey is a winner in my book. Tom

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSun Jul 21, 2013 2:11 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
It is a bit of a weird world where the organizers try to emphasize the positive and ignore mentioning the unmentionable one.
Yes, it's a little weird how the doping scandals are all but unmentionable. In his closing comments, Paul Sherwin referred to them as "the revelations" of last year. That's as far as he'd go. No mention of Lance. Part of the damage that Lance (and other doping riders) has done is the resulting culture of suspicion for new champions -- the cycling innernutz is alive with suggestions of doping. Lance's sad legacy. Chris Froome just executed one of the most impressive Tours in history with some incredible stage performances. Team Sky has tried to distance themselves from any suggestions of doping. Greg LeMond has been a vocal supporter of Froome as a clean rider. Nairo Quintana turned in an incredible performance as well. 23 years old, first Tour de France, second place finish, and the white and polka dot jerseys? Wow. People who love cycling should celebrate and admire Froome and Quintana, and be optimistic for the future of the sport. That said, it's well known that pushing the boundaries of the rules in professional cycling has been the norm since day one, and that'll never change.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jul 22, 2013 9:05 am 
Rodriguez also had a great tour and Richie Porte wins best supporting role. Froome was Merckx-like. Great tour. Great course. Love putting the big Alps stages right up to the next to last day. Some great sprints, but too bad the green jersey race wasn't closer. Having the 3 live 5-time winners at the podium, and Lemond joining them in the parade car, were obvious screwyous to Lance.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 9:01 pm 
Looks like he found work, even if he can't identify various bike parts. Fixing a flat with Lance

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Apr 19, 2014 8:11 am 
The Armstrong Lie now available on CD. Worth watching

reststep

reststep
PostSat Apr 19, 2014 5:16 pm 
Lance Armstrong, the bicycle mechanic

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 9:36 am 
SCA awarded $10,000,000 sanctions against Lance Armstrong and his company Tailwind Sports using false testimony, witness intimidation and other misconduct in prior arbitration. Panel finds that Armstrong engaged in "an unparalleled pageant of international perjury, fraud and conspiracy" and "almost certainly the most devious sustained deception ever perpetrated in world sporting history." Petition and Arbitration Award can be viewed here.

reststep

reststep
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 12:36 pm 
Why are you quoting out of context? Why not quote the whole thing?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 1:35 pm 
reststep wrote:
Why not quote the whole thing?
So, why would I quote the entire 20-page award? The link to the original documents works fine.
reststep wrote:
Why are you quoting out of context?
It's not out of context and your question is thus premised on a false attribution. I quoted a passage from the arbitration award "summary" appearing on page 1 of the award. The essential function of an opening summary is to put the award into context. Did you actually read the award? Had you done so -- and assuming that you would have understood it -- you'd know that my excerpt was certainly not out of context. ETA: tigermn didn't read it either, I see Seriously, before you falsely accuse someone of providing an excerpt out of context -- or, in tigermn's case pile on a false attribution -- at least read the source of the excerpt.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 1:50 pm 
He screwed up and is paying the price now. For me personally his efforts in the tour at the time helped me through some medical challenges and inspired me to keep in better shape by getting on the bike and riding. In my mind he still won 7 tours. Like the other contenders weren't doing the same or similar things. Heck many of them were getting caught at the time and ousted. Lance just got away with it longer. Some never got caught. The fact that he did the PED stuff I really couldn't care less about for the above reasons. Now the way he treated people etc I do have a problem with and he is paying a huge price for all of it... I guess certain people get enjoyment out of rubbing it in... Whatever...

reststep

reststep
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 1:52 pm 
In this case the quotes probably didn't change the meaning of what was said but in many cases quoting just part of what someone says can change the meaning and reporters do this quite often or maybe I just don't understand what out of context means.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 2:01 pm 
You still haven't bothered to read the award, right? So, tigerman, you're not bothered by his pattern of lying, witness tampering, defrauding SCA out of $7,500,000 and using the cancer card to cover it up? The award is not about PEDs. It's about LA defrauding SCA out of $7,500,000 via serial perjury and witness tampering. (If you read the award, you'd know that.) [ETA: Looks like Lance's fraud, perjury, witness tampering and O/J resulted in losses to SCA totaling more than $14,500,000] Not rubbing in anything here. This news item is largely flying under the radar. That's too bad because there are valuable lessons to be learned. No joy here. (Another false attribution.) To the contrary, this affair greatly saddens me. LA's fraud, deception, perjury and obstruction of justice sickens me, both as an attorney and fellow human. Dishonest litigants must be publicly outed to ensure the integrity of the judicial and arbitration process. If that hurts the Lance fanbois, they can look the other way.

reststep

reststep
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 2:43 pm 
Now I see they are not your quotes but the way you wrote it how was I supposed to know that?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 3:32 pm 
Because the excerpts appeared between quotation marks, preceded by the phrase "Panel finds. . . ." confused.gif I'm not getting this. I properly attributed the statements to the arbitration panel majority and quoted the award verbatim per standard English usage by using quotation marks. What's your beef with that?