Forum Index > Gear Talk > 2 man 4 season tent suggestions.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ICLIMB76

ICLIMB76
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 12:28 pm 
I'm in the market for a new 2 man 4 season tent and would love to hear from you your experiences with what you are or have used. I currently have the Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT and it is still a awsome tent but it is so big that it can be a pain making a landing for the thing in bad weather so I'm looking for something smaller but that still has a descent vestibule for gear storage.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 12:50 pm 
I'm not familiar with the tent you reference, so this may be of no help whatsoever, but I love my Big Agnes String Ridge 2 Tent. It does have a pretty big footprint (but this is compared to, say, those tiny Black Diamond single wall tents), I don't actually know how it compares with similarly featured four season tents. Lots of storage space. My friend Matt nicknamed it The Mothership due to its... er... highly effective night time reflective properties. It's a decent weight for a full feature four season tent, IMO.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 1:19 pm 
A Stephenson. The new 2C is only 2.6 lbs. I use a Hilleberg Keron in the winter and a Tarptent the rest of the year. If you're looking for one tent to do it all the Stephenson is it.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 1:20 pm 
If you like your Hilleburg but want something similar but with a smaller footprint and quite a bit lighter, check out the Stephenson 2R. Best with the wind stablizers or retrofit it with external stablizers front and rear (as I did -- I can supply more info via PM). A true 4 season tent, roomy 2-person and around 3.3 lbs. complete.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 2:55 pm 
I have a Stephenson 2X but like little Steve Id suggest a R model for 4 season. I also have a Bibler I-Tent. Super strong but not much in the way or a vestibule.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 6:22 pm 
He wants a vestibule tho - I know the Stephenson refers to the front of their tent as some sort of interior vestibule, but it's not really the same. How about a Nallo 2, if you like your Nallo 3 GT? The vestibule isn't nearly as large as a GT model, but it still has one. BTW, I sold my Nallo 2 to get a Stephenson 2R - it's one pound lighter. wink.gif (And yes, I got rid of the 2R to get a 2C - there seems to be a smaller, lighter trend here!)

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 6:50 pm 
The large end of a 2R/2C is not technically a vestibule (i.e., not separated from the sleeping space by a door), but, at least on my 2R, it functions as a vestibule. I'm 6'2" and brawny, and there's plenty of room for me and another guy my size to stow two packs in the front with plenty of room to sleep without touching the sides of the tent canopy. Stowing the packs against the single wall large end also provides insulation (like a double wall). If we have out packs inside the tent for the night, we usually stow our boots down on the short end.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 6:57 pm 
Yup, that's what we do too - even in the 2C - packs up front, boots in the back. But, I'll admit if it is raining or snowing, it's nice to get in under cover before unzipping the door.... YMMV. Those Hilleberg GT models have one heck of an exterior vestibule.

ICLIMB76

ICLIMB76
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 7:17 pm 
I want a 2 wall tent and a freestanding one as well. I know they are much heavier but weight isn't my concern as long as it is lighter than my nallo3gt which is around 9lbs with snow stakes. I guess I'm looking for more info on what everyone has or has used just so I can narrow it down to a few different tents. Thanks

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 10:27 pm 
Hilleberg Jannu a great four season tent.

Land Cruiser

Land Cruiser
PostTue Jul 06, 2010 11:41 am 
http://www.tarptent.com/scarp2.html The solid wall version is great for 4 season packing.

vigilguy

vigilguy
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 1:50 pm 
Integral Designs Yukon
Depending on where you live, I would suggest an Integral Designs Yukon with a large vestibule. It is lightweight and the footprint is small. It is listed as a 3 season but is robust enough to be used as a 4 season shelter in most places. A tarptent would never be storm worthy enough as a 4 season tent for me, here in Northern Utah in the winter. A Hilleberg Allak may suit you as well, since you already have experience with Hillebergs. I have owned a Hilleberg Jannu and it is a GREAT tent. Lightweight, 2 walled, and strong.