Forum Index > Trip Reports > Good Morning Dickerman 7/7/10 Solo Yo
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 4:41 pm 
I had the day off and it was predicted to be the warmest day of the year so far. What does a guy do? Maybe sit inside with the AC cranked up, go to the beach, go shopping, crabbing, fishing... Nope, how about enjoy some of the fine switchbacking up Mount Dickerman. I planned to go up Dickerman on my day off for a good workout and great views. I made these plans before the weather was predicted to be in the upper 80's and low 90's in some places. So the plan to have a normal start date, turned into waking up at 2am. HUH? huh.gif I wanted to get up there before it might be a postholing extravaganza or the temptation to suck the waterfall dry of thirst. Plus, the thought of maybe catching the sunrise was an added bonus. The sunrise thought was kind of a stupid idea, next time I will just camp on a summit "or close to one" if I want to see a dang sunrise. Anywho, 2am came way too quickly and slowly I was out the door just a touch before 3. I was soon at the trailhead, gear on and ready to go at 4am. The temperature was already pushing 60 degrees. I headed up the awesome switchbacks for seemingly forever. I knew that I wouldn't catch the 5:15am sunrise on the summit, unless I was on a scooter... well, scooter probably couldn't make it but you know what I mean.
Pink glow behind Big Four
Pink glow behind Big Four
The Waterfall
The Waterfall
The trail just past the waterfall.
The trail just past the waterfall.
Cluster of Purple Trillium with white tips
Cluster of Purple Trillium with white tips
Pacific Bleeding Hearts
Pacific Bleeding Hearts
Waterleaf
Waterleaf
I got to the waterfall about 5am and it had became lighter, but the mornings alpenglow hadn't showed up yet. When I reached what I guess is the first meadows or open area the peaks to the south started to glow red. It was beautiful and reminded me on why I decided on an early start. It was just past the waterfall I hit steady snow. The snow was surprisingly firm, even though the day before was warm.
Big Four Alpenglow through the trees
Big Four Alpenglow through the trees
Big Four Alpenglow
Big Four Alpenglow
Alpenglow on Big Four
Alpenglow on Big Four
A Red Big Four Mountain
A Red Big Four Mountain
I headed up the snow hike through the large meadows with amazing views all around. Mainly to the South, East and West at this point.
Del Campo and Gothic Peaks
Del Campo and Gothic Peaks
Alpenglow on Del Campo and Gothic Peaks
Alpenglow on Del Campo and Gothic Peaks
Alpenglow on Del Campo's Summit
Alpenglow on Del Campo's Summit
Del Campo and Gothic hiding to the right
Del Campo and Gothic hiding to the right
Lewis, Del Campo and Gothic
Lewis, Del Campo and Gothic
The bootpath is easy to follow, but once in the Meadows it becomes harder to follow an exact path. Looks like a lot of people have went their own way. I just head up the mountain, staying to the side of a couple glissading routes. Its pretty straight forward once things open up.
Forgotten Peak and Mt Pugh seen from the trail.  First light gleaming through the Perry Creek Valley.
Forgotten Peak and Mt Pugh seen from the trail. First light gleaming through the Perry Creek Valley.
Del Campo, Gothic, Rainier and Morning Star
Del Campo, Gothic, Rainier and Morning Star
Looking South from the snowy meadows.
Looking South from the snowy meadows.
Soon I could see a large rock up ahead. Some of the snow was melted around it revealing some first signs of heather. It felt like the highpoint, so I went for it. When I got close to the heather, I skirted around it on firm snow and climbed the couple feet of rocky outcropping. I was surprised that it was the true summit. The views were amazing and there wasn't a cloud in the sky at 6:30am. I skipped over to a couple other highpoints just lower to where I was at. One to the east and a couple to the southwest.
Liberty, Big Bear, Three Fingers, Bullen, Devils, Whitehorse and the close one on the right is the craggy pt 5351 southeast of Stillaguamish Peak.
Liberty, Big Bear, Three Fingers, Bullen, Devils, Whitehorse and the close one on the right is the craggy pt 5351 southeast of Stillaguamish Peak.
Three Fingers, Bullen, Devils and Whitehorse
Three Fingers, Bullen, Devils and Whitehorse
Lewis, Del Campo, Gothic, Morning Star and Sperry
Lewis, Del Campo, Gothic, Morning Star and Sperry
Vesper Peak's North Face
Vesper Peak's North Face
Big Four, Hall and Pilchuck...  With Dickerman's Shadow
Big Four, Hall and Pilchuck... With Dickerman's Shadow
The snow was in real good shape which made me super stoked. I found a real nice flat rock, ate some breakfast grub and took a nap in the sun. I woke up after an hour to a couple ants in my pants. Did some summit shakin around until I took care of it all. Thats what I get for untucking my shirt. It was a good sign that it was time to go. I knew there would be other fellow hikers coming up and I didn't want to look like some lazy lizard hogging up the warm rock. Oh, and there was a lot of black flys and skeeters up there... couple squirts of 100% DEET and they were gone. They must be weak right now or something. I have never seen them leave so quick. Always seems like once you squirt on bug spray, they start coming around. dizzy.gif
Blankets of snow
Blankets of snow
Looking East at all the beauty
Looking East at all the beauty
Looking Into The Sun on Mt Dickerman's Summit
Looking Into The Sun on Mt Dickerman's Summit
Glacier Peak and Twin Peaks
Glacier Peak and Twin Peaks
Whitechuck, Forgotten and Pugh
Whitechuck, Forgotten and Pugh
Stillaguamish and Baker
Stillaguamish and Baker
Summit Shot from False Summit
Summit Shot from False Summit
Cool Cornice
Cool Cornice
Looking Northwest from the Summit
Looking Northwest from the Summit
Summit Phlox
Summit Phlox
Smooth Douglasia
Smooth Douglasia
Summit Pose
Summit Pose
So I headed down the mountain around 8am. I found a couple glissading routes and gave them a whirl. Pretty rough going, BUTT it made up some good times other than my burning cheeks from icy snow. Soon I was off the snow and taking pictures at some of the flowers just waking up. I passed 5 guys each on a solo hike up. Almost everyone asked if I was the guy that left at 4am. I'm not sure if they thought I was crazy or what.
Baneberry
Baneberry
Red Columbine
Red Columbine
Again, sexy switchbacks for days and eventually back to my truck. It was 9:30am when I got back to the parking lot. Wow, I still have the whole day off. I raced home and then took my two little kids to the beach until 7pm. It was a long, beautiful day. Sorry if I posted to many pictures on this TR. The views were so amazing and Del Campo and Big Four really caught my eye. Sorry for so many pictures that might look the same, but each is different in its own light.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 5:27 pm 
up.gif up.gif up.gif I didn't do this one last year. I think I'll file it away for a September or early October trip.

veronika

veronika
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 6:40 pm 
Looks like you had a much better view that I did Monday! I'm jealous! I guess that is just a reason to head back. Nice photos. Thanks!

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 7:07 pm 
My kind of guy getting up that early for pink skies! Great pics! Nice summit pose too! up.gif

half fast

half fast
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 7:09 pm 
Nice TR and great photos... up.gif up.gif I really like this hike, one of my favs, a good work out and the payoff is well worth it. Oh, I have never started at 4:00am though... rotf.gif But... your photos made that very worth while. Your photo...
Stillaguamish and Baker
Stillaguamish and Baker
Is one of my favorite views of Baker looking like it is floating in the distance !! I took this photo from close to the same place you were standing the last time I did this hike on 11/08.

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 10:13 pm 
Tigermn- so the tale goes that later in the summer, any decent human exploring that area, always comes home with stained blue/purple fingertips... It's a natural phenomenal... smile.gif

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 11:26 pm 
Quote:
Looking down the Meadow
Looking down the Meadow
So that's what was hiding in that cloud! dizzy.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
veronika

veronika
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 12:31 am 
Hulksmash wrote:
Quote:
Looking down the Meadow
Looking down the Meadow
So that's what was hiding in that cloud! dizzy.gif
NICE! up.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
rossb

rossb
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 9:00 am 
Excellent pictures and excellent report. The nice thing is that if you are in a hurry, you can gather all the needed info from that second picture (no snow by the waterfall). I hiked up Dickerman later that day. We got such a late start that you were already down and in your car by the time we arrived (perhaps we passed each other in Verlot). We looked at the winter route and decided to try the summer route instead. There was snow, but it was patchy. It was very nice up there, and no one stayed very long, so most folks got it to themselves (including us). Thanks.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 10:34 am 
Dickerman is one of my all time favorites. I used to do it once a year. There are so many good views of surrounding large peaks. Way to get it done solo! Awesome photos too!

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 2:06 pm 
HiT- Hey, at least you got a great summit pose out of the whole deal. If I would have tried that with my 10 second timer, it would have been deathly dangerous. Hikingqueen- It was a beautiful morning. Thanks for the comments. Halffast- Thanks for the comments and that sweet photo. Hulksmash- I was inspired by your TR the other day, so I had to go up. When I took that picture of the meadow with the black line, I remembered the one you posted. Very Nice. Rossb- Thanks Bud. It was a sweet day to be up top. The breezes were cool in the early morning. Very pleasant day. Gimp- Thanks man. It was my first time up there and I loved it. I was surrounded by a lot of my favorite mountains. Kind of like a big ol family reunion... smile.gif OOOHHHH.... I forgot to add one photo. smile.gif
Working Hard
Working Hard