WindyPoint
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 9:12 am 
I'll bring the caskets lol.gif

In search of History!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 9:47 am 
How's the foot ? I wan't to see that lower again.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
dogle37

dogle37
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 3:18 pm 
I was just looking at that pic you posted Jimbo, is this the upper entrance?
bqmine
bqmine

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostTue Jun 19, 2018 11:11 am 
Yep... Don't die. eek.gif

dogle37

dogle37
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 11:43 pm 
Holy sh## lol. We're going back this weekend to scope it out and see if its reasonable to try and get to. I've got a few ideas involving ropes and trees.

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 11:29 am 
Rappel down from above? Then climb back up?

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostFri Jun 29, 2018 9:22 am 
How'd you all do ? Pics ??

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jun 10, 2021 9:31 pm 
WindyPoint wrote:
Is it (was it) really that bad to get up there? A route was mentioned in the book, but not explained other than to go up "Glacier Gulch" and that it was extremely dangerous.
We made it up there today, it was brutal and steep at the top, lots of veggie belays up and down. My son who rarely hikes made it, he did good going up but was slow and scared going down as there really aren't any switchbacks at the top, just straight up-down. Very cool mine entrance and interior, might do a TR later. Route has recently been flagged, so pretty easy to follow.
n16ht5 wrote:
I'll go. lets bring rope
Some fixed ropes would be way awesome at the top! For sure have a trekking pole or staff to aid in the descent in areas where there are no veggie belays.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Scrambler

Scrambler
PostThu Jun 17, 2021 5:56 pm 
In the fall of 1961 I assisted a friend and fellow classmate in an underground exploration of the Bonanza Queen Mine. At the time, the U of W offered college courses in Mining Engineering. As part of your Senior course work, you were required to prepare a Senior Thesis on a mining topic assigned by the Department Professor. My friend was assigned to perform an engineering/geologic investigation and prepare a formal report of the local geology, underground map, and other details of the mine construction and condition etc. At that time we were able to climb through the mine and come out of the upper adit. There were two raises of approximately 200 vertical feet each. The lower raise ends at an intermediate level which then connects to the upper raise that ends at the upper adit. The intermediate adit does not go to daylight. In 1961 the timbering was still fairly solid although we used climbing rope with slings and belays for safety. We went down the way we came. I have also climbed to the upper adit via the hillside. It was steep and brushy is 1961 and I guess that hasn’t changed. It sounds like there has been some slope failure over the years and it is more difficult today. The Senior Thesis reports were available in the Engineering Library at that time. The author is Willis Beach, and the title should include the Bonanza Queen Mine and perhaps something like Geologic Investigation. It should have been published in 1962 or 1963. I have no idea how you would go about tracking it down but it would be interesting to read if you can find it in the UW library.

Jake

Jake
PostFri Jun 18, 2021 5:37 am 
The Beach report is also at the DNR library in Olympia. Once the covid thing is lifted, you can go down there and read it or copy it. May still be able to get it from "Stacks" at the U of W.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jun 18, 2021 9:16 am 
Scrambler wrote:
In the fall of 1961 I assisted a friend and fellow classmate in an underground exploration of the Bonanza Queen Mine. At the time, the U of W offered college courses in Mining Engineering. As part of your Senior course work, you were required to prepare a Senior Thesis on a mining topic assigned by the Department Professor. My friend was assigned to perform an engineering/geologic investigation and prepare a formal report of the local geology, underground map, and other details of the mine construction and condition etc.
Wow, that's cool! I was born in 1961...would be interesting to read the thesis.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.