Forum Index > Trip Reports > 7FJ attempt – 7.10.10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
veronika

veronika
PostMon Jul 12, 2010 9:22 pm 
Well, I am posting this mostly for a conditions information since I didn’t make it up. I am not even sure how far I made it… maybe 1000’-1500’ from the top. I had to turn back because I got a migraine headache and started getting dizzy… frown.gif Anyhoo, the Phelps Creek trail is in great shape but be prepared to go swimming. All of the creeks along the trail are just raging. The first two are easy, the third, a little tricky… then its time to swim. No shortage of water on this route. At the last creek crossing just before Leroy Creek Trail is almost thigh high and kind of swift. Needless to say I had to run off in the brush and change into shorts at 7:30 in the morning… oh, and the water is FREEZING at that time of the day. It took me 15 minutes just to get the feeling back in my legs and feet. shakehead.gif There are a few patches of snow about 2 miles in from the trailhead. Nothing to think twice about.
010.JPG
010.JPG
012.JPG
012.JPG
007.JPG
007.JPG
I am sure everyone knows the Leroy Creek trail is not maintained. I must say it is in good shape though. It is pretty much snow free except a for a few patches until you pass back across the creek at the top (which I had to lose the boots and hike up my pants, AGAIN). rant.gif After that, there is pretty much snow the rest of the way in. It was more like patchy trail instead of patchy snow. clown.gif Solid snow at Leroy creek Basin. As for the scramble up and down 7FJ… to me, very easy scramble even with the amount of snow. I was able to kick step all the way to where I reached. It was just below the main south face. I jumped back and forth from the exposed rocks to snow and vise versa to give myself a variety between the two. I think may have been why I got a headache and lost my equilibrium. I may have went to quickly up. On the way down, the snow was just right to basically ski down in boots without going extremely fast to not be able to stop myself but got going fast enough for a very quick descent. Was alot of fun going down actually but then again, I'm a kid at heart and still enjoy playing in the snow! dizzy.gif I am extremely disappointed in myself to have not summited such an easy scramble but I didn’t want to get too dizzy and push my luck. The way I see it, the mountain will be there next weekend and the weekend after. I have plenty of chances and enough left in me to try it again. I just need to go slower. Here are a few pics and I hope this was helpful to someone. Feel free to label any of them.
006.JPG
006.JPG
013.JPG
013.JPG
014.JPG
014.JPG
017.JPG
017.JPG
018.JPG
018.JPG
019.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG
020.JPG
022.JPG
022.JPG
037.JPG
037.JPG
038.JPG
038.JPG
039.JPG
039.JPG
040.JPG
040.JPG
042.JPG
042.JPG
043.JPG
1 label
043.JPG
044.JPG
044.JPG
046.JPG
046.JPG
047.JPG
047.JPG
049.JPG
049.JPG

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 12, 2010 9:40 pm 
Thanks for the report. I've never been up to Leroy Basin, but I've got to get there soon!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jul 12, 2010 10:15 pm 
HiT wrote:
and the water is FREEZING at that time of the day.
I'm not all that sure the temperature of water coming off a snowfield gets warmer through the course of the day. hockeygrin.gif I've never seen a photo of Seven Figured Jack like the one you posted. Nice photo. Did you do this trip solo???? And don't apologize for not making it to the "viewpoint," or "destination." rant.gif I hate it when people get bummed out about not making it. So what - you had fun, saw some great stuff. Go back later in summer and do it again. That area is laced with old sheep herder's trails (the Carne Mtn HR is one).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
veronika

veronika
PostMon Jul 12, 2010 10:27 pm 
I am glad you liked the photos and yes, I had alot of fun... besides the sunburn! shakehead.gif The water was actually not that bad on the way back. I think maybe because it was so hot. It felt like 100 degrees out there. I did go solo. I slept in my car at the trailhead and started at around 5:30 or 6ish in the morning. The next time I go, it will probably be solo as well. I will make this summer though. Probably next month.

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
coach

coach
PostMon Jul 12, 2010 10:39 pm 
Thanks for the report, excellent photos. Were there many other climbers up there when you went?

The Coach
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jul 12, 2010 10:49 pm 
Sounds like you became dehydrated, too. Headache, dizziness ....high water crossing (Leroy Cr is no slouch!). Be careful, man; stuff like this is tough when you're solo. The loudest talking-to I ever rec'd from a freind was when I attempted a nasty ford while solo, and fell in the drink. Luckily I wasn't dragged down the mountain (well not too far, anyway) and when I got back & told the tale, I got in big trouble. Especially after I admitted I didn't unbuckle my backpack (I didn't know it was safest to do so). But yeah, nice place, that. up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
veronika

veronika
PostMon Jul 12, 2010 10:50 pm 
Not one up my way. I didn't even see any signs of any recent climbers either. I looked at the register on my way out and there were ALOT going to Spider Gap. I mean there were about 5 parties of 7 or more. Phelps Creek - way too busy Leroy Creek - I had it all to myself

asdf

asdf
PostTue Jul 13, 2010 9:20 am 
What do you estimate the stats were on this one (miles RT, EG)?

veronika

veronika
PostTue Jul 13, 2010 2:48 pm 
From the Phelps Creek trailhead to the Leroy Creek Trailhead, it is 3.5 miles with hardly an elevation gain of about 600'. I think Goat Lake has more elevation gain that that doesn't it? Then, from Leroy Creek to Leroy Creek Basin, it is approx 2 miles with an elevation gain of 2400'. Then, obviously from the basin to the summit is another 3000' gain because the basin is about 6100' and 7FJ is 9100'. Of course the mileage would vary here depending on which route you choose. These are all guestimates with-in 100'. All-in-all a pretty stout hike.

veronika

veronika
PostTue Jul 13, 2010 2:51 pm 
Quark wrote:
Sounds like you became dehydrated, too. Headache, dizziness ....high water crossing (Leroy Cr is no slouch!). Be careful, man; stuff like this is tough when you're solo. The loudest talking-to I ever rec'd from a freind was when I attempted a nasty ford while solo, and fell in the drink. Luckily I wasn't dragged down the mountain (well not too far, anyway) and when I got back & told the tale, I got in big trouble. Especially after I admitted I didn't unbuckle my backpack (I didn't know it was safest to do so). But yeah, nice place, that. up.gif
Yeah... I decided to head down only because I was solo and KNEW there would be no one to come behind me and find me. clown.gif And yes, I unbuckled my pack so it was all good. I do need to drink more water... I know that.