Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Enchantments (July 4-5th 2010)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 6:17 pm 
I’ve always felt going to the Enchantments would be like visiting another world and I was right, except it felt like I was on the Planet Hoth. I went with fellow NWhikers RickZMan (Thank you!) and Dane and we were joined by Jeff and my Clara. We went from July 1st to the 5th. Day 1 - Thursday July 1 After leaving Seattle we went to the Ranger station in Leavenworth to get our permits. While in there and looking at the board with trail conditions, there was a picture from a fellow NWHiker showing what Aasgard Pass looked like. As it turns out NWHikers,net is their primary source of trail conditions up on the Enchantments and they thought it was great to finally put faces to our website names. Going to the trailhead we left one car at the Snow Lake TH and then continued on to the Cochuck Lake TH. The roads are in great shape. Now for the trail, it may be in great shape, but the bugs are out and those mosquitoes were hungry for blood. Going up the sky was blue but as we got closer to Colchuck Lake, the clouds started coming in. Then we got hit by light showers but nothing bad. Though it doesn’t look like there were a lot of campers, it took a while to find a camping spot. We finally settle on an area adjacent to the little lake on the side of Colchuck Lake. Soon Clara and I saw our first mountain goat! The area around the lake is basically snow free except for a few patches of snow.
Colchuck Lake Falls
Colchuck Lake Falls
Colchuck Lake Falls
Colchuck Lake Falls
Colchuck Lake with Dragontail and Colchuk Peaks
Colchuck Lake with Dragontail and Colchuk Peaks
Mountain Goat at camp
Mountain Goat at camp
Dragontail Peak from the north shore of Colchuck Lake
Dragontail Peak from the north shore of Colchuck Lake
Day 2 – Wednesday July 2 On Friday we packed up and made our way over to Aasgard Pass in under cloudy skies. We passed two campers, who told us they had heard an avalanche at 7:30 in the morning, but we sure didn’t hear a thing and they weren’t sure of going up. The boulder field around the lake isn’t bad, but the alder is. Once at the base of Aasgard Pass it doesn’t look as bad and steep as from afar. In fact it looks like an easy walkup (I wish).
Aasgard Pass
Aasgard Pass
Asgard Pass
Asgard Pass
Looking up Aasgard Pass from the shore of Colchuck Lake
Looking up Aasgard Pass from the shore of Colchuck Lake
We made our way to the far left side of the pass and up we went kicking in snow steps. Snow was deep in places and in others we had to be careful not to posthole near boulders and areas of trees. Ice axes were not mandatory, but I sure would have felt safer with mine on me instead of sitting at home.
Colchuck Lake from Aasgard Pass Knob
Colchuck Lake from Aasgard Pass Knob
Soon we reached the large island knob on the pass and one by one we got on it till disaster struck- Rick just a few feet away from solid ground lost his traction and he slid down the pass unable to stop. We all rush over to go help but he was nowhere to be seeing and we saw a face of horror on a pair going up the avalanche chute of the pass. Finally we located him about 200 ft down inside a big crevice under the snow at a rock where there was an under the snow waterfall. Dane and Jeff with their ice axes rush down to help him while Clara and I stayed above. Rick ended up with just a cut, a broken trekking pole, and soaked in water. Dane and Jeff managed to get him out and we got him to the knob and had him get out of his clothes ASAP into warm dry clothing. After a lengthy break up the pass we went again. Further up Rick slid again and managed to stop. By now we were basically just a few hundred feet from the top. Rick made it to his feet and when we got to solid ground we took another break. I cannot emphasis how important an ice axe is right now. From here on we managed to stay on the regular dry bootpath up the pass following the cairns. To get to the top you must go up a steep section of snow. Here disaster struck me. Ironically before we left camp I ate a banana and told Clara jokingly it should keep leg cramps away. Well as luck would have it I ended up with cramps in my left thigh. Got to the top mostly pushing off one leg and once on top they finally subsided.
View from the top of Aasgard Pass
View from the top of Aasgard Pass
On top Aasgard Pass we had entered the planet Hoth and the winds were intense. It was a sea of white with frozen lakes and few spots of terra firma.
Dane on the far side of isolation Lake
Dane on the far side of isolation Lake
Prusik Peak to McClellan Peak from Tranquil Lake
Prusik Peak to McClellan Peak from Tranquil Lake
We searched out a camping area and we finally found one north of Little Annapurna and on a cliff directly above Crystal Lake. Soon a resident goat came over to pay us a visit. As the day went on and the sun went down the roar of turbines followed by gusts of up to 30-40 mph would roar over. On and off we would get hit with snow showers. We pretty much had dinner and later jumped into our tents. That night a goat came to visit us and pretty much made our campsite its home for the night. Day 3 – Saturday July 3 Rick and Clara decided they had had enough climbing adventures for the last 24 hours so they headed down to Inspiration Lake to set up camp and get away from the snow (no luck with the snow). Dane decided to take a crack at Witches Tower and Jeff and I decided to take on Little Annapurna. Jeff and I saw a set of tracks on the left side of the mountain, but we felt safer heading up on the right side and using the dry ground to our advantage.
Jeff and I made the climb up to Little Annapurna by creating our own route on the right
Jeff and I made the climb up to Little Annapurna by creating our own route on the right
Little Annapurna from Inspiration Lake
Little Annapurna from Inspiration Lake
Dane making his way to Witches Tower
Dane making his way to Witches Tower
Jeff and I at the summit of Little Annapurna!
Jeff and I at the summit of Little Annapurna!
Dane on the summit of Witches Tower
Dane on the summit of Witches Tower
Prusik Peak to McClellan Peak from above Inspiration Lake
We made pretty good time trying to get to the top as soon as possible. The sun was glowing and we wanted to get of that exposed face of the mountain. We hit dry dirt and from their just walked over to the summit with a short little scramble and with that I had reached my highest spot ever at 8440’ on the summit (my previous was Aasgard Pass 20 hours earlier). The views where wonderful!
Earl Peak to McClellan Peak Panorama from the summit of Little Annapurna
Earl Peak to McClellan Peak Panorama from the summit of Little Annapurna
From there we spotted Dane making his way up Witches Tower till he got to the summit. After an hour or so of picture taking and admiring the views we made our way down by taking the western ridge down and we made our way back to camp. Soon Dane made his way down Witches Tower, went up Little Annapurna and joined us back at camp. We packed up and went on down to meet Rick and Clara.
Valley between McClellan Peak and Little Annapurna
Valley between McClellan Peak and Little Annapurna
Inspiration Lake had a small waterhole otherwise surrounded by a sea of white. Clara and Rick where on an island rock and we all met up and set up camps. A note I should make here is the Ranger dug a potty hole north of the island behind a tree with a large boulder as the regular potty is under snow. Pretty soon a mother goat and her kid came down for a visit. The skies were nice and blue and great for picture taking.
McClellan Peak with Perfection Lake and Little Annapurna with Inspiration Lake from above Inspiration Lake
McClellan Peak with Perfection Lake and Little Annapurna with Inspiration Lake from above Inspiration Lake
Prusik Peak at sunset from camp
Prusik Peak at sunset from camp
Inspiration Lake at sunset from camp
Inspiration Lake at sunset from camp
Prusik Peak from Inspiration Lake at sunset
Prusik Peak from Inspiration Lake at sunset
Mountain Goat at Inspiration Lake
Mountain Goat at Inspiration Lake
Then at night the winds once again picked up. As the winds squeezed through the mountains and passes it built up so much power the only thing I can compare it to are the Santa Ana Winds in the foothill passes with an awesome roar. The night was clear and as the moon came up it was as if a light bulb went on in our tents. Day 4 – Sunday July 4th (Happy 4th of July!) We woke up early and Clara and Rick decided to head on down to Snow Lake. Dane wanted to conquer McClellan Peak and Jeff and I wanted to take a peek at Prusik Peak. Jeff and I made our way around Perfection Lake trying to stay as far as possible from the possible lakeshore. Postholing was bad the higher we went up and the wind must have been gusting at 50 mph up there. The views of the valley were beautiful with Shield, Earle, and Mesa Lake thawing out. Prusik Peak was right in your face and didn’t look as menacing to climb up with the appropriate gear anymore.
Prusik Pass and Peak looking out towards Shield and Earl Lakes
Prusik Pass and Peak looking out towards Shield and Earl Lakes
McClellan and Little Annapurna from Prusik Pass
McClellan and Little Annapurna from Prusik Pass
McClellan Peak and the tip of Little Annapurna  from frozen Perfection Lake
McClellan Peak and the tip of Little Annapurna from frozen Perfection Lake
Prusik Peak
Prusik Peak
Prusik Peak
Prusik Peak
As we stood at the pass we saw nasty clouds approaching and what looked like white out conditions and we decided it was time to jet. We were hoping Dane saw it too and he was on his way down. The clouds never reached McClellan and they just seem to hit Little Annapurna and head southeast. We caught up Clara and Rick and a little while later Dane showed up. There were plenty of more camping spots in the Leprechaun Lake, Lake Viviane area and of course more goats where there to keep us company. A word of caution here, the current snow path leads to the shore of Leprechaun Lake and some people actually broke through the ice. Luckily it was on the shore so you don’t go down much.
Mommy and kid goats at Lake Viviane
Mommy and kid goats at Lake Viviane
Upper and Lower Snow Lakes from Lake Viviane
Upper and Lower Snow Lakes from Lake Viviane
Lake Viviane, the most melted out lake in all of the Enchantments
Lake Viviane, the most melted out lake in all of the Enchantments
McClellan Peak from the Snow Creek outlet
McClellan Peak from the Snow Creek outlet
At the Snow Creek outlet the granite boulder scramble starts and it’s not bad. Just follow the cairns and be careful on the snow patches. The trail is snow free and the scramble turns to a long hike to Snow Lake.
Clara with McClellan Peak
Clara with McClellan Peak
Snow Creek
Snow Creek
Middle Snow Creek Falls
Middle Snow Creek Falls
Middle Snow Creek Falls
Middle Snow Creek Falls
Clara and Jeff crossing Snow Creek
Clara and Jeff crossing Snow Creek
Upper Snow Lake inlet
Upper Snow Lake inlet
We got to the designated campground and set up camp. There to greet us was a little territorial goat that took a run at Jeff and I ran for a boulder. We finally shooed it away but it would keep on coming to a rock to get his salty pee snack. Later Clara, Dane, and I went to the Snow Lake dam and 3 goats and a kid went across the dam. It was a pretty amazingly cool thing to see.
McClellan and The Temple from Snow Lake Dam
McClellan and The Temple from Snow Lake Dam
Lower Snow Lake from camp
Lower Snow Lake from camp
One of 4 goats that crossed the Snow Lake Dam
One of 4 goats that crossed the Snow Lake Dam
Goat saying "Hi" to Clara after crossing the Snow Lake Dam.
Goat saying "Hi" to Clara after crossing the Snow Lake Dam.
Our Camp at Lower Snow Lake
Our Camp at Lower Snow Lake
Day 5- Monday July 5th We left by 8am and headed back to my car. It’s a very nice hike going by the Snow lakes and down to Nada Lake with the roar of Snow Creek down below the trail.
Nada Lake
Nada Lake
Nada Falls from Nada Lake
Nada Falls from Nada Lake
Nada Creek Bridge crossing
Nada Creek Bridge crossing
You then leave the forest untouched by the fire and you enter a sea of dead trees. The last mile is hell, you see the road then you car and the car never gets closer after switchback after switchback. Finally you get down to creek level and just for kicks you have to hike up to your car after crossing what should be called Icicle River.
Snow Creek Wall from the trail
Snow Creek Wall from the trail
Edward Peak and Icicle Creek from Snow Lake Trail
Edward Peak and Icicle Creek from Snow Lake Trail
Switchbacks of Hell, car so close, but never seem to be getting closer.
Switchbacks of Hell, car so close, but never seem to be getting closer.
Icicle Creek to the Snow Lake TH
Icicle Creek to the Snow Lake TH
Gave Jeff and Rick a ride to their cars along with a girl who asked for one and Clara, Rick, Dane and I went for a nice meaty lunch. After telling myself I would never go up Aasgard Pass again, after the hike down the Snow Lake trail I reconsidered, except this time I want to go back when you can see the lakes and larches free of snow! For Clara this was her first time hiking in snow and her longest backpack ever. For me I reached my highest summit and I can’t wait to break it by going up Mount Adams this coming weekend! It was a fun trek through one of the most beautiful places in the state and I can’t wait to go back. Thank you Rick for organizing this trip, for Jeff for going up to the summit of Little Annapurna and Prusik Pass, Dane for the company and Clara for not killing me after going up Aasgard Pass!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 6:26 pm 
Tony, a wonderful report and pics. Frankly Im saddened that you missed out on seeing so much that was under show. You should really try getting back up there in September/October.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 7:00 pm 
Very cool, if you visit Hoth you should bring Taun Taun. It looks like you camped at our campsite on Colchuck. I guessyou had better luck on Aasgard. Neat trip cool.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 7:33 pm 
Gorgeous, gorgeous, love the goats! biggrin.gif

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 7:38 pm 
What an incredible experience, worth the effort behind every step. Thanks for sharing your adventure in such great detail ~Jo

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 7:44 pm 
We saw a little of everything weather-wise. Sort of a bummer the lakes were frozen over, but I enjoyed some fun scrambling as a consolation. Witches Tower was a good challenge, up a short but steep snow slope to exposed ledges and some interesting class 3. Really awesome views from up there - even spotted a couple climbers atop Dragontail. I had fun on McClellan, ascending and traversing on pretty steep snow, but I got a late start and the snow was soft. I was unsure of the route but headed up what looked plausible. I reached a notch at 8000ft, intending to traverse the south side of the ridge to the mellower SW slopes. But once I got there I realized the peak could be an hour or more away and I didn't want to risk descending on sloppy snow, so I turned around and caught up with the others.
poor weather at Colchuck Lk
poor weather at Colchuck Lk
ascending towards Aasgard
ascending towards Aasgard
cool perspective
cool perspective
almost there
almost there
...and windy as hell, too!
...and windy as hell, too!
cloudy morning
cloudy morning
approaching Witches Tower
approaching Witches Tower
Dragontail from Witches Tower
Dragontail from Witches Tower
Witches Thumb
Witches Thumb
yup.
yup.
McClellan Peak
McClellan Peak
yep.
yep.
scene on McClellan
scene on McClellan
up high
up high
down low
down low
checking permits
checking permits
from Snow Lakes dam
from Snow Lakes dam
Stopped at Gustav's afterwards:
pigging out at Gustav's
pigging out at Gustav's
And spotted this at a corner store:
Lord of the Riffs
Lord of the Riffs
Thanks for having me on this trip guys!

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 8:07 pm 
i must get there! great trip report up.gif i love how you wrote: my Clara! how cute is that, Tony! fantastic photos as always! thanks!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
RickZman

RickZman
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 8:49 pm 
Good stuff Tony. up.gif up.gif up.gif I really appreciated the patients of our younger group with me the older guy smile.gif All in all, I had a great time in spite of the difficult trip up Aasgard. My big thanks to Clara, Tony, Dane and Jeff hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif I'm going to add on just a few more pictures.
Tony and Clara at the TH
Tony and Clara at the TH
Jeff and Tony wiht a Goat
Jeff and Tony wiht a Goat
Top of Aasgard
Top of Aasgard
Our camp the second night
Our camp the second night
Jeff and Tony on Little Annapurna
Jeff and Tony on Little Annapurna
Kid
Kid
Dane climbing McClellan
Dane climbing McClellan
Clara on Lake Viviane
Clara on Lake Viviane
Billy Goat
Billy Goat

RickZman
Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 9:17 pm 
Great pics, lots to melt out yet

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 9:26 pm 
Wow..So snowy! eek.gif

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull
Sennin

Sennin
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 9:46 pm 
yeah, wow! Amazing contrast from last year. My wife and I were there July 2nd-5th, there was about 99% less snow. Great TR and pics!

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 9:48 pm 
Well
I was getting totally bummed out by all the reports on the snow. The two times I've been to the Enchantments the weather has been perfect, and no snow. We go on July 22 -26 and am beginning to understand that there will be LOTS of snow. That had me seriously bummed. But now, after reading your report and seeing the photos, I realized that I am/was screwed in the head, and I needed to get with the program, adjust my expectations (snow!) and just enjoy myself and the trip. Thanks for the pics and the reality check - I'm stoked again!! smile.gif up.gif up.gif

half fast

half fast
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 9:57 pm 
WOW !! What a great TR and truly beautiful photos up.gif up.gif Looks like you all had a wonderful time, in a spectacular area that I will have to make it to one day !! Thanks for sharing biggrin.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 11:30 pm 
What the hell Tony, where are all the waterfall pictures?! I KNOW you know you passed half a dozen falls on the way down. biggrin.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 11:46 pm 
Wow...a lot of snow. Looks like my August trip may be perfectly timed. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short