Forum Index > Partners > Mt. Adams Climb/Ski Partner Wanted July 9-11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Jun 26, 2010 4:25 pm 
No, I'm not really planning to take three days to climb & ski Mt. Adams. I just happen to have 3 day long weekends and could do it in that timeframe. Thinking of doing it as an overnight. Drive down and climb up to Lunch Counter first day, summit and ski down/drive back next day. I've never done Adams before, would really like to cross it off my list. Anyone interested in joining me? Oh yeah, weather dependent of course.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostSun Jun 27, 2010 2:10 am 
I'd love to come, but I need to learn how to ski first bawl.gif

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Jun 27, 2010 11:19 pm 
Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostMon Jun 28, 2010 7:43 am 
I was just there; the mountain is good! I wouldn't climb all the way to lunch counter if you are going to ski. Great views from treeline on one of the ridges a bit from the main track and a easy 5k hike from there and a better ski back IMHO. Then you are set up to do it again the next day up.gif ... then ski out cool.gif

Gary-n-Jan

Gary-n-Jan
PostTue Jun 29, 2010 10:04 pm 
Definitely agree with Jason's advice. We were also there this last weekend. Conditions were great. By camping at lower elevation, you have the option of skiing the Southwest Chutes. Here is a link to a few pictures. http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryJanH/20100626MtAdamsSWChutes# Gary and Jan

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Jun 29, 2010 10:14 pm 
Hey, thanks for the advice on the route! I've been hearing from other folks as well that I should camp lower if I want to ski SW chutes. This might end up being a solo trip if no one else wants to go...

altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Jul 06, 2010 7:08 pm 
Adams July 10, 11
Still heading out to Adams? I'm interested but only have the weekend off.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jul 06, 2010 7:38 pm 
If I shake my POS cold, I may head down Friday afternoon (hoping to leave work early enough to escape at least some traffuc) and do a day tour Saturday, with the plan being to drive home Saturday night. Let me know if that is of interest, CW. I might have another partner or two for the venture.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 5:53 pm 
joker wrote:
If I shake my POS cold, I may head down Friday afternoon (hoping to leave work early enough to escape at least some traffuc) and do a day tour Saturday, with the plan being to drive home Saturday night. Let me know if that is of interest, CW. I might have another partner or two for the venture.
Thanks Joker but it turns out I'm working tomorrow (Friday) and I found a partner interested in doing it as an overnight Saturday - Sunday.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 6:43 pm 
Have fun! I'm mostly over the cold, but my smarter half (my wife) tells me I'm silly to be thinking of heading down to ski Adams on Saturday. I think I'm going to listen to her and do something just a teeny bit mellower and a lot closer to home. I bet it will be good, despite the apsersions Steve is casting wink.gif (maybe he changed his mind - I see he deleted the post). You may still be able to ski the traverse out from the chutes, but in any case I'll pass along that last year I finally wised up and brought along some lightweight running shoes for the hike from TH to snow, and more importantly for the traverse out, which we ended up doing on dirt on the RMT. It was dramatically more pleasant than hiking out in my ski boots, which I've done a few times (first time I did the chutes, we managed to ski out with only a couple of short de-skis). Strong agreement with Jason on suggestion for a camp location. Those ridges are a beauty spot for a camp, and why ski the full pack higher than you need to?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 8:27 am 
joker wrote:
I bet it will be good, despite the apsersions Steve is casting wink.gif (maybe he changed his mind - I see he deleted the post).
You can be certain that there will be some good turns, some so-so turns, some nasty rivulets and hundreds of people. The usual early July Adams sh## show. Yeah I did delete my post, but I have not changed my view that a 3-day tour of Goat Rocks would have better skiing top to bottom. biggrin.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 11:47 am 
How long an approach hike to hit snow there for your trip last weekend? The S#!+ show is kind of amusing. Maybe it's just that I kind of miss the carnival atmostphere of lunch rocks at the base of Tuckerman's Ravine on a hot sunny April day. Somewhere I have a nice photo of about 30 of us, from various groups, all posing shirts-off at the summit. Good fun. Plus, where else can you find a fall line as big and consistent as the chutes, at least w/o some sort of superhuman approach? I have to admit that this is the big draw of Adams for me. Maybe I've been lucky - I hit a little punchy crust-over-mush for about a third of the chutes on one out of four trips, but otherwise have had awesome corn the whole way, with some amusing turns here and there on the shuffle out from the bottom (and one out of four of those trips yielded great turns from the summit as well - more of a rarity from what I've read). Plus, I do like day tours - carrying a camp plus skis and boots on my back for the approach is just not high on my "must do" list.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 2:29 pm 
joker wrote:
How long an approach hike to hit snow there for your trip last weekend?
Half day, then some dirty skinning. Figure an entire moderate day of hiking and skinning to real skiing terrain. I don't mind hauling skis and boots on the pack this time of year -- it's great training for my mountaineering traverses, and my pack comfortably carries the load.
joker wrote:
The S#!+ show is kind of amusing. * * * Plus, where else can you find a fall line as big and consistent as the chutes, at least w/o some sort of superhuman approach? * * * Plus, I do like day tours - carrying a camp plus skis and boots on my back for the approach is just not high on my "must do" list.
I too found it amusing the first two times, but annoying last year. My conservative estimate was that 200 people tagged the summit that day, and I may be low by a factor of 2. SW Chutes is a great ski line when it's in shape. No doubt about that. I prefer the wilderness experience. I acknowledge that most ski tourists prioritize turns over the wildness of the tour -- and I suppose that's why we had GR to ourselves last weekend, while the S and SW flank of Adams likely had a 100+ ski tourists and 300+ climbers. My main point -- which, apparently, I failed to effectively communicate -- was that the snow was in better shape top-to-bottom last weekend than anything I've seen in my 4 or 5 tours on Adams. Indeed, I have never seen better snow top-to-bottom anywhere on a spring tour than we had on Saturday -- and we're talking 5000'+ verts for the day, all to ourselves!

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 4:38 pm 
I love both wilderness AND S#!+ shows, but not at the same time. I'd rather see the show on the top of Adams than the crowd at Bumbershoot, but that's just me. It's definitely not where I'd go if seeking solitude, but frankly, for most of the winter we're breaking our own trails and seeing no other parties on our tours... Check out the descriptions of the snow on Adams from last weekend and into this week, particularly from folks who have done it multiple times. The crappy June has apparently left us with way smoother snow than we have a right to expect at this point in the season in many spots. ETA: thanks for the tip on GR, though - I do want to check it out for a spring/summer ski sometime, but this is not going to be the year for me (and I think I need to work on pack weight a bit and toughen up so I can be more like you wink.gif ).

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Jul 09, 2010 8:19 pm 
I can appreciate your viewpoint Steve, but you're jaded. You've done Adams several times and lots of other stuff I've never done. I've NEVER done it and I want to get it done. I wanted to do it last year but the timing was never right. Now I have a partner who's been up there before and the weather will be good, I'd be a fool not to go. It *is* the second highest volcano in the state and will be the highest I've ever climbed, and I believe the highest I've ever stood on solid ground. I don't really care how many other people are up there, this isn't about wilderness solitude, it's about doing something I've never done before and skiing a big volcano. There was a big crowd on St. Helens too, that didn't bother me. This will be the second volcano I've skied this year, and I'm hoping to get at least one more in before the year is out. Also, TRs from Adams indicate it's in great shape right now, with smooth corn snow from top to bottom and there's plenty of snow down low. Enough snow in fact that you start skinning within a half mile of the trailhead. Here's one from Wednesday: http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=17112.0 Finally, I don't have three days. I only have tomorrow and Sunday. Our current plan is to camp at, or very close to the trailhead Saturday then go up with nothing but the most minimal (light) gear. This minimizes any problems with finding our stash of gear on the way back down and minimizes weight on the way up. Of course, it does mean climbing just about the whole thing in one day... That's where my current lack of conditioning is probably going to bite me. We'll see.