Forum Index > Trail Talk > Geodetic benchmark types
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 am 
This is very educational. Here's the description for getting to Snoqualmie Mountain. It's nowhere near the current trail because it stays on the Snow Lake Trail 25 minutes. I like the "On the knife edge of the summit .." part! DESCRIBED BY WASHINGTON GEODETIC SURVEY 1936 THIS STATION IS NW 1/4 OF SEC. 28, T.23, R.11, AND ABOUT 2 MILES N OF THE SUMMIT OF SNOQUALMIE PASS. TO REACH STATION GO E FROM N BEND TOWARD SUMMIT TO SIGN ON THE N SIDE OF ROAD READING COMMONWEALTH SKI LODGE. TURN LEFT 0.3 MILE TO LODGE. END OF TRUCK TRAVEL. TAKE SNOW LAKE TRAIL WHICH STARTS BEHIND THE LODGE AND GO TO STREAM BED GOING UP MOUNTAIN ABOUT 25-MINUTE HIKE. GO UPSTREAM BED OVER A SERIES OF CLIFFS TO HEAD OF STREAM ABOUT 2-HOUR HIKE. TURN LEFT OR N AND CLIMB 10-FOOT WALL OF STREAM BED. WALK ACROSS SLOPE 10 MINUTES THROUGH BRUSH. COMING INTO THE OPEN CROSS ROCK SLIDE GOING CROSS SLOPE UP HILL. HEAD FOR DRAW IN CLIFF ABOVE ROCK SLIDE. LEAVING THE DRAW, KEEP ON THE STEEP RIDGE TO THE SUMMIT. ON THE KNIFE EDGE OF THE SUMMIT TURN LEFT AND WALK 300 FEET TO STATION, WORK A LITTLE TO THE LEFT OVER TOP OF SMALL HILL AND THEN DOWN TO START.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostWed Jul 14, 2010 7:20 am 
Great topic. I wonder about that Snoqualmie Mountain description. I suspect the "COMMONWEALTH SKI LODGE" was down near the current Sahale Ski club lodge. Since Alpental wasn't built until the 60's, was the Snow Lake TH much closer to the current PCT trail head? Just for fun, here's a pair of Reference marks fro Granite Mountain.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostWed Jul 14, 2010 8:24 am 
I'm curious who has a photo of the oldest marker out there...I think these might be a couple of the oldest I have (without looking through thousands of photos)...
No elevation on the benchmark, but it's at 6387'
No elevation on the benchmark, but it's at 6387'
From "Oregon Bu" (Oregon Butte) lookout in the Blue Mountains. Oh and for fun, here's another one from the same trip:
Diamond Pk 6379'
Diamond Pk 6379'
Both dated 1936. Edit: went back and looked at the ones posted...Hit the Trail's from Remmel are from 1924. So far those are the oldest posted.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
JimK

JimK
PostWed Jul 14, 2010 8:26 am 
My original 100 Hikes In Western Washington lists Snow Lake as 11 miles round trip. Here is the start:
Quote:
Drive on US 10 to Snoqualmie Pass; park on turnout road across highway from the summit ski area. A large wooden sign-map is prominent; here begins the trail.
Alpental opened for the 1967-1968 season.

Benzarino

Benzarino
PostWed Jul 14, 2010 9:28 am 
Having done geodetic work for the USGS for a summer, I can attest to how much of a pain in the ass it is when folks remove the markers. PLEASE leave them in the ground. In the unlikely event they are being used for research purposes, you could screw up someone's data! Nothing like hiking up to a summit only to find the benchmark you've been surveying for years has been stolen.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jul 14, 2010 11:10 pm 
wamtngal wrote:
Diamond Pk 6379'
Diamond Pk 6379'
Notice the 6739 elevation stamp. The document link in the OP talks about this. When the benchmark is placed they don't know the elevation because it has to be calculated from the survey data collected on the placement trip. If a party wants to go back later and stamp on the elevation they MUST get permission from the Geodetic Survey to do so. It's clear that this elevation was stamped on later, and none too carefully!

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostThu Jul 15, 2010 8:54 am 
That must be why the Oregon Butte BM doesn't have the elevation stamped on it -- wow, interesting! Learn something new every day.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Aug 02, 2010 11:32 am 
Introducing Marvin Marker
Introducing Marvin Marker
Meet my whole family!
Meet my whole family!

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Aug 02, 2010 12:22 pm 
So, what's with the Star of David? confused.gif

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Aug 02, 2010 1:08 pm 
Quote:
MAGNETIC STATIONS – The U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey began magnetic observations in 1843. The original purpose was to supply magnetic information for the nautical charts, but later observations were extended into the interior to aid local surveyors. The plan was to establish a magnetic station at every county seat and to mark the station for future use. Unfortunately, cultural development eliminated the usefulness of many of the stations that were established. In 1942, the standard for magnetic observations was to make observations at least every 10 miles along a coast and more frequently when magnetic anomalies were found. Stations were marked with natural objects or with bronze or brass Magnetic Station disks. These disks were factory stamped “MAGNETIC STATION” and with a six-pointed star in the center.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?