Forum Index > Trip Reports > Harold J. Engles Memorial Cedars Trail 7/18/2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
daffish

daffish
PostSun Jul 18, 2010 7:36 pm 
sign along Road 49
sign along Road 49
If you have driven Forest Road 49 off the Mountain Loop Highway, you have undoubtedly noticed this sign. Eager to get to the trailhead or too tired while driving back, you have probably not stopped to check this out. The name ‘trail’ is a misnomer for most of us as the ‘trail’ is only about ¼ mile long. Any lover of big trees needs to stop and wander the paths. There are Western Red Cedar that are not big; they are humongusly large. This is a glimpse of what the area was like before logging took them all. If you ever go on Road 49, I strongly recommend taking the short time to marvel at these giants. In the 1930’s when logging started taking these huge trees, Harold Engles was the Ranger responsible for saving some of them for us.
info plaque
info plaque
Quote from the plaque at the entrance sign: “Magnificent Western Red Cedar trees grew in stately groves along the river. Realizing the need to save some of these trees, he set aside a corridor approximately 1 mile long and 200 yards wide. It was due to his efforts and foresight as a ranger that these trees were not removed. Saving a part of the valley, he gave us all a tiny window into the past.”
giant Western Red Cedar
giant Western Red Cedar
dedication plaque
dedication plaque
This is big!
This is big!
base of Cedar
base of Cedar
grove of 3 giant Red Cedars
grove of 3 giant Red Cedars
looking upward into entangled limbs
looking upward into entangled limbs
tangled limbs of Westen Red Cedar
tangled limbs of Westen Red Cedar
Western Red Cedar
Western Red Cedar

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 10:43 pm 
My friends and I checked this out today after camping. Very cool place. The cedar with Harold's plaque on it appears to be at least 1,000 years old, it is the largest cedar tree I have ever seen. It's so cool that he worked to preserve these for us, definitely check it out. also on a hot day there is a nice beach down there to lounge and cool off.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message