Forum Index > Food & Grub > Sources for ingredients ?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Jul 18, 2010 8:04 pm 
I use HHF items at home even embarassedlaugh.gif I love having dried shallots and celery on hand - way easier than buying fresh when I only need a little! I like adding freeze-dried hamburger or pouch chicken to my taters - with cheese, garlic, shallots......yum!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Traildoggie

Traildoggie
PostTue Jul 20, 2010 11:22 am 
I'll check out harmony house. I can dehydrate my own vegies but mostly stick with mushrooms. the others needed up being hard to rehydrate, and onions are easily available. This is from Eating Well magazine July 1997. It's good and easy. Cherry Walnut Couscous Pudding Mix 1/2 cup instant couscous 1/2 cup non fat dry milk 1/4 cup dried cherries or cranberries 1/4 cup walnuts or almonds, toasted if you like 3 TB light brown sugar 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/8 tsp salt Place ingredients in zip lock or food saver bag and seal. mark "1+ 1/4" on bag In camp bring 1 + 1/4 cups water to a boil. Dump in mix, return to a boil. Cover, remove from heat. let stand for 10 minutes. mix with a fork and eat. serves 2 for breakfast. If it's cold out insulate the pot .

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jul 20, 2010 11:31 am 
Doggie, try shredded carrots, and either fresh or frozen peas, and chopped shallots. All easy to de/rehydrate.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Traildoggie

Traildoggie
PostTue Jul 20, 2010 11:41 am 
I've never tried peas, thought they'd be hard to dry. I think I did celery and bell peppers and neither wanted to get soft once they got hard. I think I chopped the carrot rather than shredding ... a duuh? moment for me. a small bag of sugar snap peas travel well if you plan to use fresh. I have a big old dehydrator and can give them a try though. did fruit leather too, but didn't like the taste enough to bother with.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 20, 2010 12:08 pm 
On green peas and green beans - it is worth buying freeze-dried instead of dehydrated ones. The reason being is they can take forever to rehydrate in camp. Sweet corn is another issue veggie. Otherwise most other veggies come back quickly. Frozen vegetables dry well. Simply dump the frozen bag onto the dehydrator trays and turn on!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.