Forum Index > Trip Reports > 50 days in the Olympic Mountains - Summer 2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 3:20 am 
Wow, it's 3:16 am and I just finished a long ski trip through the olympics today...wait, yesterday...LOL. And keeping me up so late, even though I am wore out is your wonderful report, parts of which were in areas I visited. Incredible is all I can say. 50 days, the mental strain and stress and bliss and every coat of emotion you can paint is a lot. It's not an experience you can take in with a year or two or more, in a lifetime perhaps. I am sure you will remember it always. Thanks for the inspiration and honest reporting.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
peltoms

peltoms
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 4:13 am 
What a great report thanks for waiting no more. Great shots of glaciers of course caught my eye. Loved the word cloud and the graph of morale and accomplishment. up.gif cheers.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 8:31 am 
WOW eek.gif . Great write up and pics, thanks for the tips too. This truly qualifies as one of Josh's "adventure of a lifetime!"

silence

silence
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 9:06 am 
dane .. i haven't had a chance to read this yet .. you know i've been waiting for a long while .. esp for the video .. anyhow i just wanted to let you know .. i still haven't but will .. i want to take my time and savor every bit of it biggrin.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Man-inna-hillz

Man-inna-hillz
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 3:20 pm 
Quote:
50cm ultralight ice ax..... - it didn't give me a whole lot of piece of mind.
biggrin.gif METAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif Enjoyable report. Makes me want to go out and get soggy in the Olympics again STAT. One question: Do you by any chance have a map (or maps) with your route marked and identified? I know and have visited many if not most of the places you mention, but some of the routes and connection of the dots are unclear to me.

The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 3:31 pm 
Thanks for the great feedback everyone!
HJT wrote:
That sure looks like the gnarly way to climb Mystery. I've climbed Mystery twice, but from the opposite direction via Del Monte Ridge and the Constance Pass Trail. I believe that's the "easy" route versus the one you did.
The original plan was to follow your route from Lake Constance to Warrior Cirque, then traverse Del Monte Ridge and go up and over Mystery into the basin. The route I took is frequently done but without snow just isn't enjoyable.
Ingunn wrote:
How was your return to civilization? Did you find it difficult to adjust to "normal" living and being around other people again?
It was a remarkably smooth transition - no depression, culture shock, or longing to be in the mountains again. I had so long to look forward to my return and mentally prepare myself, and I was truly ready to leave when I did. The bliss of my first real shower...after 36 days lol.gif ...can't be described. The soap I used claimed it would make me feel mountain fresh! ykm.gif My first trip to the grocery store was a bit of a shock. I definitely had to adjust to the idea of being able to eat whatever I want, whenever I want, even if it wasn't in my backpack.
bonobo wrote:
You inspire me to think about what I can do to push my own boundries.
That's the greatest compliment you could have given. Thank you! And go do it!

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Zukismom

Zukismom
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 3:33 pm 
Now THIS......... is EPIC! WOW!! Kudos to you for this great TR.

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 3:42 pm 
Man-inna-hillz: rocker.gif I thought about posting more detailed route maps but so much of it is off-trail, and in places where even boot paths don't exist yet, that I'd rather be too vague than too specific.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
silence

silence
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 10:40 pm 
bravo!!! enthralling ... captivating .. you blew me away with your stamina and perseverance .. and your wonderful way with words .. your honest and insightful musings .. and omg you absolutely captured the essence of the olympics .. your photos were the icing ... i have been to some of the places you mention .. and your story brought back the fondest memories .. and there are many others you explored that have peaked my interest as i've perused the topos and can only dream .. but still hope to get to some .. and you opened my eyes wide to a few i'd never heard of b4 .. we just missed you somehow on your way out .. we were camped above oyster (on our way to cat lake -- aka swimming bear) .. that nite the 3 guys you met at the lake camped nearby and told us about you .. and i said .. ha i bet that was dane thx so much for your incredible story .. and for bringing those special places to life .. as you know once in your heart the olympics are never far .. your love of them shines bright ..

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
veronika

veronika
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 10:55 pm 
I had to read it again! biggrin.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
RodF

RodF
PostThu Jul 22, 2010 1:26 pm 
Tour de force! Thanks for sharing so many once-in-a-lifetime views, Dane.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
El Matador

El Matador
PostThu Jul 22, 2010 5:33 pm 
I just returned from a 4 day trip in NCNP and was feeling great (I got my fix). Now, after reading this, I am itching more than ever to get into the backcountry. Honestly it is hard for me to even wrap my head around what you were able to accomplish over 50 days and I admire your effort. Thank you for taking time to share your experience here, I am sure this TR will inspire future trips for many of us on this site. I know it has for me. Well done. Matt

AustinIles

AustinIles
PostThu Jul 22, 2010 7:11 pm 
Way to be

Don

Don
PostThu Jul 22, 2010 8:20 pm 
At a glimpse (ok, more), incredible! Dane, I'm leaving for an extended trip tomorrow, but will be reading this in its entirety upon my return. Bravo! You visited some excellent places! Fun to read your love affair with Ferry Basin. I echo your sentiment.

Larry

Larry
PostThu Jul 22, 2010 11:14 pm 
Magnificent write-up of a magnificent and unforgettable trip. My hat is off to you. Hell, EVERYTHING is off to you. I thought I was doing well with 12-14 day solo trips, but now I'm in the "bush league". lol.gif I'll probably read this again, in fact I KNOW I'll read this again. You captured one of my all-time favorites in upper Crystal Lake, with its surroundings of glacier-hummocked terrain and tiny little active glaciers all around. Spectacular, marvelous, and full of soul. Heavy metal, indeed!