Forum Index > Trip Reports > 50 days in the Olympic Mountains - Summer 2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Sep 03, 2010 6:34 pm 
How did I miss this before? Exceptional. That's the only word I can come up with. Oh, and "congratulations." Hope I get to hike with you one of these days. If you'll be in the area of Goat Lake this weekend, stop by and say "hi."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostFri Sep 03, 2010 8:59 pm 
Hey, thanks for the bump Mike! Glad you enjoyed my report so much - I hope I've returned a bit of the inspiration I drew from you. Swapping stories over some brew sounds good, give me a heads up next time you're in the area. This trip was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done, and the response has been a huge part of that. Thank you, everyone, for letting me know I got you stoked.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Eeyore

Eeyore
PostThu Sep 30, 2010 6:58 pm 
Interesting read. My buddy and I met you at Cedar Lake and the next night at Deer Park. I had not realized just how extensive your trip was.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 11:08 pm 
I'll be kind enough to bump this with a question. Dane, Is it just a coincidence that one of your favorite (or one of the best) sub-ranges in the Olympics corresponds to your last name? Or did you name the range yourself? Or did you change your last name? Just wondering... Once again, great job here. Wish I could see one of your presentations. Good luck this Saturday

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Feb 07, 2011 11:41 am 
Matt, Just a coincidence. I looked into how the range got its name a while ago but I've forgotten the details...I believe it was named by one of the O'Neil expeditions after a Seattle judge. Maybe the same "Burke" as the Burke Museum and Burke-Gilman trail. I'm not sure I've ever seen the range labelled with that name on a map, and honestly I don't know what terrain the range encompasses. Certainly Muncaster Mountain to Bicentennial. I've heard some people refer to the Crystal Lakes area as part of the Burke Range. The high ridgecrest continues beyond to West Peak on the Anderson Massif, but I don't think that has ever been included in the range. It's an old name for a place rarely talked about. The mystery and ambiguity fits the range well.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostThu Dec 15, 2011 12:09 am 
I have finally finished the video I filmed for during this journey, and it's now embedded in the original post. It is surely the first time some of these places have been captured on film. After months of planning, hiking and writing, three very successful slideshow presentations, a now the completion of this video this project is finished at last. There are few things in my life I have put so much time and effort into, and the reward has been outstanding. I've received a job offer, a little bit of money, and a featured spot in an upcoming wilderness documentary as a result of this project, but best of all has been the personal satisfaction of having pursued my wildest dream with everything I had and coming out of it safe, successful, and immensely fulfilled. I thought I would use this trip as a jumping off point for more exotic expeditions, and I expect at some point I will, but I've ultimately grown even more closely attached to the Olympic Mountains. I hope to move out to the Olympic Peninsula in the next couple years and be as involved as I can in the meetings and events concerning the wilderness I love so much. In the meantime I look forward to dreaming up another journey which captures my passion and ambition as strongly as this one did. I hope you all enjoy the video, and come away with the inspiration to pursue your own wild dream!

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostThu Dec 15, 2011 6:01 am 
Dane wrote:
I have finally finished the video I filmed for during this journey, and it's now embedded in the original post. It is surely the first time some of these places have been captured on film.
Just tried to run the video and Youtube has blocked it at the request of the fine folks <sarcasm> at UMG and/or EMI, I assume for some music content they don't want streamed. pm'd Dane.

RichP

RichP
PostThu Dec 15, 2011 6:40 am 
Yeah, for me it says it's blocked due to the country (Argentina) I'm in.

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostThu Dec 15, 2011 7:03 am 
huh interesting. Of all the stuff on youtube....thought this would be covered under creative commons. I'll find a way to get it back up up.gif

Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum

Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum
PostThu Dec 15, 2011 7:36 am 
Dane wrote:
I'll find a way to get it back up up.gif
If you list the artist and the song in the description. It sometimes helps not to get it deleted. Also. Google Docs lets you upload and store Videos. It is rarely policed by 'the man'. Just a suggestion. Look forward to watching the footage.... agree.gif

silence

silence
PostThu Dec 15, 2011 7:38 am 
yes ... definitely sounds like the music is the problem

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostThu Dec 15, 2011 9:33 pm 
Damn, I uploaded this before bed and didn't have time to deal with it before work this morning. I'm over the 500MB limit for vimeo and it might get taken down there too, so megaupload will have to do for now as clunky as it seems: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TOCBH1CO Intro segment now dedicated to YouTube, UMG and EMI hockeygrin.gif

NWtrax

NWtrax
PostFri Dec 16, 2011 9:39 am 
"Intro segment now dedicated to YouTube, UMG and EMI " HA!!!! Classic stuff Dean. Really great job on all of the filing aspects. Glad things continue to work out for you since the trip.

silence

silence
PostFri Dec 16, 2011 10:13 am 
so .. i don't understand .. do i have to join to view it? cause that link is just taking me to their homepage .. not your video .. NEVER MIND a little bird told me how .. thx jake wink.gif so dane .. it still blows me away that you did this .. the trip alone was epic but on top of that you set up these great shots of yourself .. that was an amazing feat in itself .. you did awesome! and great wildlife captures .. did i miss the rock skipping scene from the first edit? i really loved that little snippet some quick hints: as much as i love pink floyd next time get some royalty free music so you don't have to deal with the copyright sh## .. but i totally get the temptation i actually found some really good guitar stuff in vimeo's music store .. in your case ... as long as it's not for profit they will let you use it for very little cost or sometimes even free .. it's better to pan more slowly in hd .. it seems to be displaying in interlace? but should be edited in progressive .. that would take care of some of the jagged edges we're seeing anyhow great job! glad you were inspired to finish the movie

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum

Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum
PostFri Dec 16, 2011 11:08 am 
I like the Wildlife shots and obviously the views. The Black Bear shaking water off was one of my favorite shots.