Forum Index > Trip Reports > 50 days in the Olympic Mountains - Summer 2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostFri Dec 16, 2011 4:05 pm 
Totally awesome video, Dane. What an amazing achievement. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Akula

Akula
PostSat Dec 17, 2011 4:16 pm 
Excellent Dane, and thanks for sharing this trip with us.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream, discover. -- Mark Twain
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Dec 17, 2011 9:11 pm 
Right on! Gives me something for inspiration. Man that was just excellent. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Dane. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSat Apr 12, 2014 10:21 pm 
I'm bumping this epic trip report in honor of Dane Burke, who was injured in fall recently.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 7:47 am 
Great idea, Matt up.gif Dane is driven and will recover sooner than later...he's got youth on his side! biggrin.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
RichP

RichP
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 8:12 am 
bobbi wrote:
Great idea, Matt up.gif
For sure.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 12:13 pm 
I really enjoy reading this TR every-so-often. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
contour5

contour5
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 3:28 pm 
I really enjoyed reading this again. One of the most epic and well written TRs ever. Thanks for all the effort, and wishing you a quick and full recovery from your recent injury.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostMon Apr 14, 2014 2:46 am 
Wiling the time away on an overnight shift and read this for the first time. Wow, what an opus...Incredibly written and viceral. Hopefully, next summer (not this) you will be out there again experiencing the alpine world with a whole new perspective. Thanks for the bump, Matt.

silence

silence
PostMon Apr 14, 2014 7:22 am 
Dane so inspired me with this trip, as well as the Burke Range traverse with Luc ... for his strength and determination ... his honest, intelligent and insightful reflections ... and his deep love and respect for the wilderness. When I first approached him about our Olympics film, it was just to ask if we could use some of his HD footage for the Bailey since we hadn't made it up there yet. But when our concept ultimately evolved into the Olympic storytellers ... and I knew Dane had to be one of them for all the reasons above. The icing on the cake was his incredible footage ... we were blown away by it and decided to deviate a bit from our original plan and incorporate as much of it as possible into his segment ... not just to better tell his story, but also to share it with others and to save it for posterity. Thanks again bud! Also, it's been fun watching you become such an accomplished climber so quickly ... again just another example of your great resolve. Our thoughts are with you on your journey to recovery. Heal fast and sure my friend! Love you, Kathy

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Apr 14, 2014 9:35 pm 
Beautiful, a pleasure to reread again after all these years. All the best to you Dane on your recovery - Vida.

dan mathews

dan mathews
PostSat Jan 16, 2016 11:52 am 
Don't know if anyone will read this so many years later, but I want to add to the accolades and gratitude. In particular, I applaud your staying vague about route details, and your frankness about morale, saying up front that for much of the time it did not feel awesome; I'll bet though that 6 years later you are ready to sum it up as awesome. I always felt that going days without seeing anyone or conversing opened up my emotional connection to the world; both the emotional ups and the downs were immediate and deep. I soloed through a lot of that territory, mostly in the late 1960s through early 80s. Anderson Pass to Hayden Pass; Bretherton Pass to Chicago Camp; Deception Basin; Skyline to Meany and Q Basins; Dodger Point to QB to Appleton Pass (the best!). I did not climb peaks though, nor was I ever out more than 8 nights. Equipment was a bit different. On the first trip, my pack was a wooden Trapper Nelson, my stove a brass Optimus that burned kerosene, my shelter a sheet of plastic tied out with rubber-ball gizmos, and my camera loaded with black and white film. Water purification was unheard of, and my purism led me to eschew timepieces, flashlights, and anything else electric.