Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sun Mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fungal05

fungal05
PostTue Jan 12, 2016 12:46 am 
Has anyone snowshoed Sun Mountain's loop: Moose, Black Bear, Kraule? What is the trail and scenery like? Thanks in advance.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cartman

cartman
PostTue Jan 12, 2016 12:18 pm 
Haven't been up there with snow, or on those specific trails, but here is what the area looks like without snow. BTW, this trip was not from and not that close to the Sun Mtn Lodge, but may give you an idea of the mtns in the area.

nojack

nojack
PostTue Jan 12, 2016 2:06 pm 
Going out Kraule is nice from the lodge. Descends a ridge down to Black Bear which is more woodsy, but nice, with views too, until it hits moose for the quick sprint back up to the lodge. Images are from Moose looking back up the valley. Jan1 2016

fungal05

fungal05
PostTue Jan 12, 2016 4:05 pm 
Thanks nojack, I see you started on Kraule first ending on that steep incline ending on Moose. I like what you said about the views. We will start at Moose, get the steep part out of the way and on to Black Bear's gradual ascent, ending at Kraule. Really appreciate you sending the couple of pictures. What a nice bluebird day it was! I am told that is about 4 miles?

nojack

nojack
PostWed Jan 13, 2016 10:00 am 
The mileage seemed to be around 4 or 5. Going out Kaule was flat, and then two miles of fun descent. ... Which is disconcerting to 'start down'... But, doing it the other way, to come UP black bear to Kraule, is pretty much uphill all the way, just not as steep as moose. This is a rather fine parse of a place that is truly, unfckupable, know what I mean? Enjoy! (take me with you.)

fungal05

fungal05
PostSat Jan 16, 2016 2:44 pm 
hi no jack, taking a 55+ age group in a couple of weeks, and you are welcome to join us, hope we have a bluebird day like yours. also did you get to snowshoe patterson mt? on the methow valley map, i see a "red tail snowshoe trail", so i stopped by last week sunday but i saw a snowshoe trail that said, "to patterson mountain" but not sure if that trail is the same as red tail. any other snowshoe trails you took on sun mountain or other places in the methow valley?