Forum Index > Partners > Trinity Alps N. Calif. July 28; 3 or 4 night back packing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lite1

lite1
PostSun Jul 18, 2010 12:03 pm 
Looking for partner(s) for easy going yet fairly strenuous (day 1 only) back pack trip to northern Cal. Trinity Alps. Tentative plan pending ranger snow/trail condition report. I travel fairly light but only at a moderate pace. Probably can postpone schedule by day or two if needed. 28 July late afternoon Leave Medford Oregon drive 2.5 hours to trailhead and camp 29 July hike Long Canyon trail to Summit Lake 7.8 mile gain 3,900 feet expect great views and at least some wildflowers; 7,500' max. elev. Want to be on trail very early on day 1 to avoid heat and to make day less strenuous. 30 July day hike 4-lakes loop 5.2 miles plus climb nearby Siligo butte Return option 1 - more likely: 31 July hike to Echo lake then off trail to Lake Anna about 5-6 miles camp at lake, or prior lake Billy-be-damned 01 Aug short hike into Bowerman meadows 3 miles camp in meadows; or conceivably just hike back to car for max. 4.8 total miles. 02 Aug short hike back to car Return option 2: 31 July hike to Granite lake and camp (possible add seven up peak or gibson peak without packs) 01 Aug short hike out 5.3 miles (then bike 6 miles to highway 3 and hitch ride back to car) I am experienced back packer who usually packs with my son (who is unavailable for this trip) or solo. Would enjoy company, weight saving from shared equipment, and added safety. I have car, GPS, trail guides, etc. Back packed wonderful Trinity alps before but not this area. Let's talk ... Edward See Google earth for Summit Lake: 40°56'18.62"N 122°53'49.76"W

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
llamero

llamero
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 4:50 pm 
Edward, I can't go on this trip, but I want to encourage you to file a trip report when you return. I had plans to hike Long Canyon on July 9th, but the ranger said it was unreachable at the time so we canceled. He told me the Trinity Alps got 140% of average snow this year (most of which has probably melted by now). A bigger problem is the huge number of trees that were knocked down by a January storm. Last October I went up Long Canyon and spent a couple of nights in Upper Siligo Meadows. You'll love it. Looking forward to your pictures and report.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message