Forum Index > Trip Reports > Blanca Lake and the Columbia Glacier 8/4/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Aug 04, 2010 10:14 pm 
I took the day off from work to take the kids up to the Columbia glacier to try and meet up with Peltoms and his North Cascade Glacier Climate crew. The boys have been very excited to go and see another glacier and so was I. Jayden and I first hiked to Blanca Lake 4 years ago and we've wanted to go back and go all the way to the glacier high above the lake to the North. Ryan just loves glaciers, so he was definitely in on this trip. We arrived at the TH and began hiking up the nice old growth forest at around 8. The many switchbacks lead us to the small meadows above with a nice look at Glacier Peak to the East. We dropped some elevation to get to the beautiful Blanca Lake. The color of that lake just amazes me. At the outlet stream, we had to take our boots off and cross the shallow but cold creek. Lots of logs and sticks in there but I'd advise to bring some other footwear to put on to cross it.
Blanca Lake
Blanca Lake
The boys fording the stream
The boys fording the stream
turquiose lake and white logs
turquiose lake and white logs
colorful
colorful
We made our way, mostly along the lake shore with a few stints in the woods. We got to the end of the lake and saw the glacier crews camp area. Their film crew was there and we talked to them for a minute and headed up to the glacier. We boulder hopped most of the way and reached some smooth rock slabs before getting our first close look at the Columbia glacier. There was a small pea soup green colored pond in front of the glacier that looked pretty cool. We reached the glacier and started up it. We crossed several small crevasses which had the kids incredibly excited. They loved seeing the blue ice along with the melt water streams flowing on top. We went half way up the glacier and saw a mountain goat cross from one side to the other going up a really steep slope. We didn't see the glacier guys but the camera men said that they might be taking their lunch up at the pass a 1000' above the glacier. I knew this would be too much for the kids to do after an already big day hike. So we wandered around a bit and turned around. I tried to answer every glacier question they had and I hope they learned something today. We took a long break off the glacier at a spot overlooking Blanca Lake before going all the way back down.
small pond below the glacier
small pond below the glacier
the boys on the glacier
the boys on the glacier
looking back towards Blanca Lake from the glacier
looking back towards Blanca Lake from the glacier
blue glacier ice
blue glacier ice
We returned to the lake and began the hike along the shores dreading the creek crossing again. Ryan and I took our boots off again as Jayden plowed quickly through with his boots on. Once we had to go back up hill again, the thunderstorms were starting up. 2 weeks in a row hiking in storms. At least we were in a tall forest this time. We didn't mind the big rain drops because it was still pretty warm out. The downhill back to the TH was uneventful and everybody was glad the long day was over.
Ryan and Jayden in front of the Columbia glacier
Ryan and Jayden in front of the Columbia glacier
Columbia Glacier
Columbia Glacier
glacial ice
glacial ice
small streams and waterfalls
small streams and waterfalls
a few wildflowers
a few wildflowers
It was a long day but the kids will have some good ideas for some school projects this up coming school year! Too bad we didn't meet the glacier guys but it was still a great day. 12.5 miles 4800' elevation gain

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Aug 05, 2010 3:30 am 
Nice to have a trip with both boys along again. up.gif up.gif Glad you made it to the Columbia Glacier, while it's still there. It's one of the many that will disappear entirely in the next few years. Too bad you weren't able to hook up with peltoms. As a man whose been raising two hikers, himself (his son and daughter are now part of his field team), I suspect you would have had fun comparing notes. wink.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostThu Aug 05, 2010 8:41 am 
it doesn't appear as if you felt the need to use a rope? mellow glacier?

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Aug 05, 2010 2:23 pm 
That green color is amazing!

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostThu Aug 05, 2010 5:29 pm 
Snowdog wrote:
it doesn't appear as if you felt the need to use a rope? mellow glacier?
All that gear stayed in my backpack. Another trip packing ropes, harnesses and crampons that weren't used, but it's better to have it than not. The glacier is really mellow, nothing steep or icy in the middle. The glacier is built from avalanches that slide down on all sides of the basin. We stayed away from little bumps and depressions in case there could be crevasses beneath. The cracks and small crevasses we did see were very small, a foot wide was the biggest one we came across. The big hole of blue ice I took a picture of was just up from the terminus.

Eric Eames
kite

kite
PostThu Aug 05, 2010 8:18 pm 
Nice!

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Aug 05, 2010 10:34 pm 
Nice trip. I always like the color of Blanca Lake. And it's cool that your kids got to explore the edge of a glacier, and maybe even learn some things about it.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Arete

Arete
PostFri Aug 06, 2010 4:29 pm 
This looks like a great place to explore. I've never been up there to the lake and the glacier. It looks like a place our boys would like given how much fun your boys had. It is great how you get them out there! I was encouraged by Scrooge's comment that Peltoms' kids are part of his field team. When I stop to check out plants in the mountains (my profession), my boys just groan and roll their eyes rolleyes.gif . Thanks for the report!

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostFri Aug 06, 2010 9:33 pm 
Looks like a great time I was just there and Loved the lake. Didn't quite get to the glacier. Here is a pic of that beautiful green Lake I took (I apologize in advance for the sky noise and/or artifacts as I fixed that after I put this pic online)

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com