Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snow report from Snow Lake (ALW) 7/21/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 6:55 pm 
Despite several reports that said the trail down to the lake was snowed in, I wanted to see for myself and with such a beautiful day it was the perfect choice. SO me and my trusted companion, Cedar, headed up the trail around 10AM. While there is still snow on the backside (down to the water) and around many of the campsites, it's very spotty and doable as long as you don't mind getting your boots on a little snow from time to time. Several parties were turning around but I don't quite understand why. It really wasn't that bad. But that's OK, more solitude for me! You certainly need to be on the lookout for postholes but they are pretty obvious and not too deep. Here are the usual trail shots below the ridge, plus one of the Tooth approach in case anyone is going up there soon...
Once up on the ridge, there is a really great overlook that I always like to check out first. There was an awesome breeze blowing up there today so NO BUGS! dance.gif
Here are some of the snowy spots on the trail to the lake...
And here's looking back up to the trail...
Down by the lake it was unbelievable how much snow is still there in the middle of July!!!
My first stop was over by the old homestead. The lake was looking calm and I was hoping for some good views there...I wasn't disappointed!
Continuing on along the lakeshore there were more beautiful views and again the trail was generally snow free (ie small passable patches).
I continued on to the outlet/log crossing and wished I had planned for more time. The trail to Gem was very inviting but I had to save it for another day. Another hiker reported that there were no problems getting over there.
Even stopped to play with this little fella for a bit...
Other than missing Zach alot today, this was a wonderful day in one of my favorite places. cool.gif PS Word of advice...based on the number of folks on the trail today....don't EVEN try this on a weekend... eek.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
loper

loper
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 7:05 pm 
Thanks! I am looking for places to take some low key hikers on a dinner hike in a few weeks and was wondering how the trail is doing! Lisa

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 7:56 pm 
Still a ton of snow for the third week of July.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 8:19 pm 
Ahh so glad you got there! Save Gem for me, I wanna go this time and it looks like it will be August before I jump in that icy pond.. yikes! Beautiful shots of Cedar, reflections, and butterflies! biggrin.gif

Zukismom

Zukismom
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 8:26 pm 
This is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

PostWed Jul 21, 2010 8:35 pm 
Thanks for the post! Was wondering how much snow there was left at Snow Lake. Maybe not quite ready for prime time but a little snow on my boots never kept me from going anywhere. Any bugs? Really liked the photos of the blue-green water with the reflection of the ridge crests in the background. Nice job. up.gif

Life is short, hike hard...
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Jul 21, 2010 8:37 pm 
Thank you! There was a nice breeze all day so there were no bugs at all! dance.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostThu Jul 22, 2010 9:11 am 
ditto- always great pics! That one of Cedar is blow up & frame material. I got out too, but much later- report to follow.

'we don't have time for a shortcut'